Starting the Journey

jhuyser
on 7/11/07 4:21 am, edited 7/11/07 11:29 am - Canton, SD

Hey everyone, wanted to say that you guys have provided a lot of great info on here. I have always had this surgery in the back of my head but had mixed reviews, But didnt think I needed it. But I know it was going to be tough as making a life style change is not a easy task. I finally admitted to my self that this surgrey would be a thing for me as I had lost a daughter over a year ago to SIDS and now I realize LIFE IS TO SHORT to not enjoy it. Also that I need to make the change for my Son, I dont want him to miss out on stuff cause Dad cant do it. So I have done my research, and have made my first consultation appointment with Dr O'brian which I will have on the 23rd. Just looking for a little more info on what to expect and if I should have any information with me when I go. Any Help would be appreciated on the start of my journey

treiser
on 7/11/07 12:55 pm - Pierre, SD
Hi - welcome to the South Dakota page - it gets kind of lonely and quiet around here   First of all let me say how sorry I am to hear about your loss, and you are right life is way too short.  I have yet to have surgery myself, but have been in the process for 3 years.  I was denied by my insurance in 2004, after that I decided I would "do it myself", and did lose 70lbs, only to gain that back now.  I started thinking about weight loss surgery again this spring/summer and have gone to an informational session and will have a consultation and appointment with the nutritionist next Wednesday.  I am so scared that I will again be denied, but I have different insurance and have to just stay positive!!  I would take lots of questions with you to your appointment - write them down so you don't forget.  I think the first appointment is mainly for information and to start on the insurance approval, but I go to a different surgeon, so maybe someone else could tell you more.  Good luck and keep us posted! Tanya

jhuyser
on 7/13/07 3:42 am - Canton, SD
Thank you for the words of encourgement. I visited with my insurance company SVHP and they have requirements of if the Dr recommends you to do the surgery then they require that you do 1 year of weigh****chers (paid by them) before the surgery is performed to get you use to the change in eating habits and such. Then once that is complete then they will have you do the physc exam to make sure mentally u are ready. Well I think I will still go see Dr Obrian and have him submit the paper work and if needed will start the weigh****chers which I have started to watch what I eat and but out pop and sweets and changed my snacks in to fruit, Will still keep you all updated on what is happening.
treiser
on 7/13/07 7:38 am - Pierre, SD
I think I would still see Dr. O'Brien, maybe he has dealt with the insurance before - I'm sure he has. The frustrating thing is that I think most of us that are looking to have the surgery know how to lose weight, it's just keeping it off that is the hard part (the reason we need a tool like WLS to help us). Keep me updated!  Tanya

Sandy Hanson
on 7/15/07 1:27 am - Pierre, SD
I had Dr Obrien also,just take your question with you,thats all you will need, he is a very good surgeon but he isnt real down to earth ,he is all proffesional,some dont care for that.But he is really good at what he does.I had my Lapband March 15 -07.Since my pr op diet I lost over 63 pounds.It took me two years to fight with my insurance, but I didntg ive up.I almost did and Iam glad I did not.If you have any qustions just ley me know.Sandy Hanson
(deactivated member)
on 7/15/07 3:40 pm

(((HUGS))) Welcome to the SD board!  I am so sorry for your loss..I can not imagine that heartbreak.  Many hugs to you. I had Dr. Obrien..I had LAP BAND in Dec. of last year..best thing I have ever done!  My first consult with him went very well..he explained the surgery to me, and answered all of my questions. O'Brien is totally awesome, he is a marvelous surgeon, and has been absolutely wonderful to me every step of the way!  He did a great job at getting my insurance to approve quickly.  I simply told him of the diets I had been on it the past..and he put that in the letter to my insurance and I got approved right away. We have a local LAP BAND support group that meets every 2 weeks, usually in Sioux Falls..feel free to join us if you would like.  We have so much fun, and would love to see our group grow! If you have any questions about what to expect at OBriens office, or any thing, just let me know!!!

jhuyser
on 7/30/07 2:06 am - Canton, SD
Just a little follow up, i had to reschedule my consultation from the 23rd till today and I just got back from it. I visited with Dr Obrian and he does recommend me for the surgery, so I decided on the RNY (bypass). He said he will be faxing his letter over to the insurance company to get the ball rolling. He also mentioned that he will be trying get the year of weigh****chers bypassed (which is 90% required by SVHP ins. before they pay for the surgery). So as many of you said let the waiting game begin. So this week I will be going in and enrolling in the weigh****chers program as I anticpate having to do it anyway I figure I can get a head start on it.. I am sure this waiting will be pushing me more harder in the gym.  But I do thank you for all the kind words and I will keep you guys posted
jhuyser
on 4/7/08 11:23 pm - Canton, SD
Hey everyone, just want to apoligize I have not been on this board lateley, and actually since my last post, But just want to give some news. I had my visit with Dr Obrian as noted in previous post, well it was just what I suspected, I had to do a year of WW, well I started my WW on Aug 1st, and my starting weight was 433.8, and I am still sticking with it. However 1 thing has changed, I have decided not do to the surgey cause today I am down to 273, with some will power, lots of hard work in the gym and totally changing my lifestyle, I have managed to drop 160 pounds since August 1st of last year. I still want to thank everyone on this board cause it provided me with a lot of info when I was planning on having the surgery. Now I am again going to visit this board cause I know that there are a lot of words and encourgement on this forum and will also probably need to be looking for plastic surgery advice as well. I have went from a size 62 pants to a size 42, which is a size that I have not wore since I was about a freashman in high school (13 years ago). Again Thanks for being part of my Journey
julie_e
on 4/11/08 2:52 pm - IA

Hello, I'm a newbie here. (Technically, I'm in Iowa but just barely and I'm a SD native, will be attending the support group in SF post surgery I hope.)  I have Sanford Health Plan also (since Sanford is my employer) and got done with my year of WW's in Feb. Lost 45 pound**** a plateau and gained a couple pounds back.  Decided I needed to go ahead with the surgery. I want to travel and fit in economy instead of having to pay extra for business class. I'm going to miss my WW group for the support though. It is a little scary to get this surgery but I keep reminding myself it will be worth it. Any words of encouragement or advice about the post diet are welcome!  Julie 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Bariatric Event!
monymony · 0 replies · 6154 views
LGBT forum invitation
seanbear66rn · 0 replies · 6089 views
Hello all
stephp77 · 0 replies · 5999 views