Help - I think of nothing else!!

treiser
on 7/12/07 9:52 pm - Pierre, SD

Hi - any help would be greatly appreciated!! I was denied in 2004 for WLS, I now have different surgery and I am going through the process again.  The reason I was denied in 2004 was because I had no co-morbidities.  I still am relatively healthy, I do have depression and heart disease runs in my family, but other than that . . . obesity is it (it's enough).  I have my consultation on July 18th and I am worried sick that I will again be denied for the surgery and I WANT IT SO BAD!!  I have Dakotacare insurance, the policy says that you must have 12 months coverage (I do), BMI over 40 (I do), 3 years obese documented by physician (I think I have?), and 3 years of weight loss attempts documented by physician (I don't have).  I'm so worried that the last two will be what stops me from getting the surgery.  I have seen the doctor for weight loss, I have been on every diet in the book, I have been on prescribed medication for weight loss, but I don't have three years of documented dieting.  I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and been approved.  Also if you think that the doctor sending a letter that states I have been obese and dieted for way over three years would be enough to get approved?  I have checked the insurance board and people that have posted about Dakotacare generally  have positive statements, but most are quite old and not specific.  I just keep thinking and thinking about this surgery and what it would mean to me, and I'm sure I am driving everyone in my family crazy - it's just something I want badly and can't seem to get off my mind!! Sorry this is soooo very long and thanks for any suggestions!  Tanya

CyndiU
on 7/14/07 1:06 pm - Hartford, SD
I am not on your insurance, but I didn't have any co-morbadalities either.  I did have asthma, but they couldn't say it was due to my weight (although I am no longer on asthma meds.).  I have arthritis, but that wasn't considered a result of weight loss either.  My family doctor had documentation of my weight for over three years - and I just listed all of the different diets and programs I'd tried.   Hope you get accepted this time>  I'll be praying for you.  cyndi
treiser
on 7/14/07 7:21 pm - Pierre, SD
Thanks Cyndi - hopefully that will be enough for my insurance as well! 

(deactivated member)
on 7/15/07 3:50 pm
GOOD LUCK!!!  My Dr. did an outstanding job getting me approved.. Use joint pain or back pain as an issue. Tell them you have boarderline HBP.   Also state that you have been on multiple diets..and state the years and weight lost.  Basically they just want to know if you have ever made a serious attempt to take weight off.   I did not have to prove any of that by supplying the documentation, I just told Obrien that I have taken phentermine, I have done weigh****chers, Jenny Craig, etc.  Obrien just put that stuff in my letter to the insurance as it was required that I have dr. supervised weightloss for me too...I did NOT have to prove it, I just told them I did it.  So just tell the Dr. you have done all of that junk. lol. GOOD luck, and keep us posted!!
treiser
on 7/15/07 10:32 pm - Pierre, SD
 Happy Thank you so much for the post, I feel less stressed already!  - Tanya

Most Active
Recent Topics
Bariatric Event!
monymony · 0 replies · 6154 views
LGBT forum invitation
seanbear66rn · 0 replies · 6089 views
Hello all
stephp77 · 0 replies · 5999 views