80-100 lbs to lose and self pay???

(deactivated member)
on 8/17/07 6:26 am
Wondering if anyone has had WLS in Sioux Falls who has 80-100lbs to lose (I'm 5'5" and weigh around 225)  My insurance will not cover WLS and am wondering if anyone has experience paying for lap band procedure themselves, if Dr's are willing to perform surgery for BMI around 37-38 and Although I am overweight and have been getting progressively heavier for the past 7-8 years I wouldn't say I have had a lot of other health issues due to weight.  Some reflux, depression and knee trouble but no HBP or diabetes, sleep apnea etc.   I want to call to set up consult appt but don't want to do it if I am going to get there and have them tell me my health isn't "bad enough"  for surgery.... Anyone?
HeidiCoyote
on 8/17/07 7:27 am - Pringle, SD
Hi,  I will be paying for it myself as well - the insurance wants me to be really sick first before offering financial help with the surgery and I prefer to help myself sooner rather than too late (BMI 39) . Going to see Dr. Kirschbaum in Denver - he has a web site - google him. They were very helpful sofar and I have already talked to several of their patients - very encouraging.
DaniR
on 8/24/07 7:23 am - Sioux Falls, SD
I had all the health probs and high BMI so I can't speak from experience but I would think if you are going to be self pay anyway then I think it's at least worth it to go to the consult.  Dr O'Brien @ Sanford is wonderful (my surgeon) and Dr. Thaemert @ Avera is also very good.  Basically it comes down to which hospital you prefer.
  Dani

CyndiU
on 8/30/07 11:14 pm - Hartford, SD
I didn't have the comorbalities, but had a much higher BMI.  I was afraid insurance wouldn't cover, but Dr. Graham went to bat for me and got the surgery covered.  I had RNY.  I say what can hurt...go to a consult, check it out.  If you have questions, Sanford Hospital (SV) has an informational meeting every month.  It's the third Monday of the month at 6:30 PM downstairs.  It is very interesting and informational. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Bariatric Event!
monymony · 0 replies · 6154 views
LGBT forum invitation
seanbear66rn · 0 replies · 6089 views
Hello all
stephp77 · 0 replies · 5999 views