please help me

hairbender1
on 9/12/07 6:06 am
Hi I am new to posting but have looked at other posts for a long time. I am looking into lap band surgery and have some questions that i hope someone can answer for me..my BMI is 40.7 and i have not even had a dr. visit yet (this friday tho). I would like to know if anyone has gone to dr haley in Mitchell..i don't even know what to tell my dr. . I have  been thinking abouot this for over a year now and had lost 66 pounds with the aid of diet drugs but as soon as i had to go off the drug, the weight came back on..30 lbs in one year..the problem is i am afraid that my insurance will deny me because my BMI went down to 36 during the weight loss..i have no co-morbidities..except for the usual joint pain, insomnia etc. no high blood pressure, no diabetes..i need to know what you think my chances are of getting approved..my carrier is wellmark bcbs of sd. any tips will be appreciated as i really want to have thhis done and i dont want to do or say anything that might mess up my chances..i also would like to know what steps you go thru once you are approved..like pre-op diet and  any other processes you can tell me about..thanks
Maghan M.
on 9/12/07 10:45 am
Hi!  I went to visit Dr. Haley with a surgeon that I work with here in Rapid and I thought that he was wonderful.  As for the rest..I can't help, but I would like to wish you the best of luck!
hairbender1
on 9/12/07 10:57 am
thank you for your reply..i am so uptight about this whole thing..anxious and yet so afraid i will be denied..dr.Haley is actually from my home town and that is why i chose him..was thinking about thaemert but mitchell is closer for me..all of the post on here are so great..i read them like an addict..thanks again for replying..
Maghan M.
on 9/13/07 12:41 am
No problem.  That's what we are all here for.  I can tell you that I had open Gastric Bypass December 5, 2006.  I am young, no comorbidities and my BMI was 50.1 I think and insurance approved me.  The least you can do it try.  You never know what insurance will do and I know for bandings, well out here, they are trying to do people with lower BMI's.  That may be because they are just starting them though, but if they approve them I don't know why you wouldn't get approved.
DaniR
on 9/13/07 2:19 am - Sioux Falls, SD

"Fudging" your height an inch or 2 will result in a higher BMI.  I had to have 2 co-morbids to be approved but all insurance is different.  Give it a try!

Dani

seni52
on 1/15/08 6:50 pm - redfield, SD
I am recently trying to go through my insurance company and I am too going to see Dr. Haley in Mitchell,SD.  I am very interested in what he is like?  I have yet to make my official appt to see him and would like to know before hand,  My BMI is 40 and I am pretty much they say boderline with the insurace company too, Thanks So Much, Seni52
Most Active
Recent Topics
Bariatric Event!
monymony · 0 replies · 6154 views
LGBT forum invitation
seanbear66rn · 0 replies · 6089 views
Hello all
stephp77 · 0 replies · 5999 views