Anyone from the Rapid City, Sturgis etc area?

Linda S.
on 11/17/03 8:10 am - Rapid City, SD
Hi, Just thought I would see if there was anyone in this area that is interested in mutual support system. My surgery is scheduled Jan. 9 and I am a bit nervous at this point. Thanks Linda
kariann F.
on 11/27/03 6:53 pm - Rapid City, SD
Hi Linda, I'm scheduled for Dec. 16 in Rapid City. Mutual supports sounds great. By the time your date comes around, I'll be able to give you the ins and outs! Drop me a line by e-mail .... Kariann
Linda S.
on 11/28/03 1:58 am - Rapid City, SD
Hi Kariann, Is your doctor Trotter or Sufficool? Unfortunately, I have to go to Ft. Collins since my husband is retired AF and Dr. Trotter does not accept Tricare (military health insurance) and Dr. Sufficool only does Open RNY or so I was told. I'll take all the support I can get. lol You must be getting excited with only slightly over two weeks to go. Me...I am getting a bit nervous at this point. Not enough to reconsider mind you but just the stage of a million what if's going through my mind. As I said I have to go to Ft. Collins and will need to stay there at least two weeks. Really is taking a bite out of my hubby's vacations time. Bless his heart he has not said anything about it. Guess he prefers me healthy and alive. lol Please keep in touch and I will say an extra prayer for your safe and speedy recovery....just think mush for Christmas. lol Linda
kariann F.
on 11/28/03 2:40 am - Rapid City, SD
Hi Linda, Dr. Trotter will be doing my surgery. Wow, Fort Collins is a long way to go! But you gotta do what you gotta do. Your husband sounds like a sweetheart. As of Jan. 1, my employer is dropping coverage of gastric bypass surgery AND any followup care -- including coverage of emergency surgery to fix busted staple lines, hospitalization for infections or correcting a stricture of the pouch. If these things happen to me, I'll have to pay for them out of my own pocket! When I found this out, it was enough to make me seriously reconsider having this done -- which is exactly what they intended -- but I'm so excited at the thought of becoming a normal-sized person again, I'm gonna take my chances. Hopefully everything that will go wrong will do so before midnight on Dec. 31!!!!! I just moved to Rapid City a year ago from Wisconsin. I have no family here (I'm 28) and it stinks that I have to have this done at Christmas time, when I should be flying home to be with my family. But my Mom, bless her heart, is taking Famiy and Medical Leave Act time from work to fly out here to be with me for about a week after surgery and a couple days before. I can have my "last supper" with my mommy! She's upset that I won't be able to make it home for Christmas, so I'm hoping her spending time with me directly before will be a good compromise for her. Of course, if I'm all *****y and achy and vomitous she may think otherwise! LOL Anyway, good to hear from you and let's definitely keep in touch. Are you in Rapid or Sturgis? Any kids? Kariann
Linda S.
on 11/28/03 6:53 am - Rapid City, SD
Hello again, Yes Ft. Collins is a ways to go, like about an 8 hour drive if the weather does not cooperate. When I went down for my consult visit it took us 5 hours but that was leaving here at 3:30 and my husband driving an average of 85 mph! lol A sweetheart? Well I don't know as I would go that far but he has been behind me on this even though he is scared spitless for me. I am from Rapid City.... at least for the last 12 years. We retired here after my hubby got out of the AF after 20 years. Oops aging myself! LOL Actually I just turned 51 last Monday. I wish Dr. Trotter could have done my surgery. My husband and I went to one of his seminars and he was very upfront and informative. He did a gastric procedure on my mother earlier this year and I was much impressed with his bedside manner. Mom had a fundoplication for GERD. She is the reason I finally took my size seriously. I am very much a momma's girl when it come to health history. She in the last year has had a pacemaker inserted (her heart would stop for up to 10 seconds at a time), been diagnosed with diabetes, has hypertension, peripherial vascular disease,heart arrythmia and has always had trouble with her weight. NOW I do not particularly want to go through all that if it can be avoided and since I weigh more than my mom...... Secondarily, I hurt my wrist in April and was seeing the doc out to base. Told him all my joints ached and he referred me downtown to see Dr. Weaver. She is a rheumatologist. The blood work had ruled out rheumatoid arthritis already but she diagnosed me with fibromyalgia. She, just like every other doctor, commented on my weight...ya know... if I would just lose some weight all my health issues would miraculously disappear! Oh yeah...even my ingrown toenail? Lord I got tired of hearing that line!!!! Anyway when she remarked on my weight I smarted off and said I would just get gastric bypass surgery. Took me aback when she asked if I had spoken to my doctor about it. I had just been sorta joking but when she said that I kinda gulped and figured if a doctor was saying this maybe the idea was not all that farfetched! So started doing research. Luckily, my insurance is really good about approving this surgery as long as there is a letter of medical necessity. I kinda sweated it out as other than arthritis, I really don't have any comorbidities and my BMI hovers between 40 and 43. Most people I have told about this have remarked that I don't look like I am heavy enough for this. Well looks can be deceiving!! I kinda chuckled when you said it stunk to be going through this at Christmas time...you see I would have jumped for joy to have the surgery even then. To me it seemed the best kind of Christmas present. I am glad that your mom will be here for you. My parents live down in Chadron and I have a sister in Hot Springs. They have been teasing me about having two last meals! lol There was another woman who was going to go through this with me but her doctors screwed up her paperwork or actually still are screwing up her paperwork so she won't be able to have the surgery at the same time. So guess I get to pass it on...you clue me in on the experience and I will clue her in. Your employer is not very nice! How can someone be so uncaring about what can be a lifesaving procedure? Sheesh!! Hope you don't work for a medical organization...I am a medical transcriptionist and I sure would hate to work for someone like that when I go job hunting after I get back on my feet. Kids? Well the human ones have grown up and are out of the house. Have a 26-year-old son living in Tucson and a 24-year-old daughter in Rapid City who is the mother of my very handsome 1-year-old grandson (not a bit predjuiced...no not me lol). Then there is the child I married and he is the first to admit it. And then there are my real babie*****in 10 years old, Scooter 8 years old, K.C. 7 years old, DejaPooh 5 years old, Ches'r and Stormy 1 year old. Stormy is actually my daughter's but she lives with Grandma. By the way they are all my furbabies...kitties to be exact. Then of course there is the "girls" Cassie, 2 and Sophie 12 the canine representatives. Well, speaking of kids....I get to spend time with my grandson while mom and "sperm donor" (he does not act like a dad and so we do not give him the honor of calling such) go to a movie. So guess I had better go make sure the house is "Trystan proof". Thanks for answering so quickly. Linda
kariann F.
on 11/28/03 4:18 pm - Rapid City, SD
Hi Linda, I hear you about finally taking your weight seriously. When I started going through this process of getting approved and such, I really only wanted to do surgery because I was sick of being this way and being uncomfortable every minute of every day. And also because of the insurance dropping the coverage. But in the process of getting evaluated, it was discovered that I have some heart/lung problems, enough that they are worried about me making it through anesthesia. That really opened my eyes. I knew that in 10 or 15 years, my weight would really debilitate me if I didn't do something about it soon, but I never dreamed I'd have a serious health problem related to my weight at 28! Both sides of my family are big people, so I got the worst of both worlds. My dad is 400+ and has had two heart attacks. My dad's brother, they can only estimate his weight at over 800. He pretty much lives in a hospital bed in the basement of the house he shares with his wife. He's got serious circulation problems in his legs and they have to be wrapped tight all the time. I've had three uncles just completely drop dead due to heart problems. My mom is diabetic and has severe obstructive sleep apnea, though because of her diabetes, she's got her weight down to around 200, which is good for her. I've got two brothers, one older, one younger (can we say middle child syndrome!! lol) and they carry extra weight around sometimes, but they're able to shed it without much effort on their part, the lucky boogers! I wouldn't classify them as obese for this very reason. I got the short end of the stick on a lot of things genetically, really. I, too, love felines!!! Since I'm a renter and it's hard enough to find a place that will take cats, I only have one, but he gives me such joy on a daily basis I'm not sure I'd want another one anyway. He's 2-1/2 years old and his name is Twoballs (my lamebrained and frivolous way of reminding myself of his gender when he was just a baby. He now has no balls at all!). But most of the time I call him Baby Boy ... he also answers to kitty, unless he's feeling standoffish. But no matter how obstinate he is, he always comes when I call him Twoballs. It's amazing that he does come because I hardly ever call him by his proper name. He has got the most zany and quirky personality I've ever seen in a cat. He was a stray that I found at a friend's bonfire party -- I wasn't planning on getting a kitty, but I couldn't imagine my life without him now. He truly is my child. Well, it's good to meet someone who'll be going through this close to when I am .... I know I am going to need some motivation to exercise. Maybe in the spring, we can get together to walk. In the meantime, I'll keep you updated on my situation. There's still a slight chance that the pulmonologist I have to see on Wednesday will tell me I won't make it through surgery and I would have to call the whole darned thing off, but let's cross our fingers so that won't happen!! Take care, Kariann
Most Active
Recent Topics
Bariatric Event!
monymony · 0 replies · 6154 views
LGBT forum invitation
seanbear66rn · 0 replies · 6089 views
Hello all
stephp77 · 0 replies · 5999 views