Lap Band vs. Bypass

Tanya G.
on 6/5/07 8:38 am - Saskatoon SK, Canada
I am currently being seen by Dr. Davey at the Weight wise clinic in Edmonton for Bypass surgery since Sask, does not cover Lap Band. I have been investigating out of province/country lap band options. Lap Band has always been my #1 choice for a number of reasons although Bypass has some merits as well. Can you tell me why you chose Lap Band? It would help me make a decision. Tanya
sunseeker37
on 6/8/07 6:48 am - Saskatoon, Canada
Ultimately, I chose the lap band because I wanted to live! Gastric Bypass is a very serious surgery with extremely serious consequences - including the fact that most people begin to gain their weight back after five years because their intestines begin to grow back. They are on vitamin supplements for their entire lives because they can't absorb enough nutrients from their foods. The benefit of the Lapband is it is MUCH safer and it is reversible should you ever need to have it removed due to complications- and the results three years post surgery are the same between gastric bypass and the lap band. People die from gastric bypass surgery and they die from the complications associated with gastric bypass surgery. Yahoo groups have a site dedicated to people who have suffered extremely serious complications from gastric bypass surgery. Check it out. Lap band surgery is done laproscopically, is minimally invasive and the recovery time is very quick. Ultimately, they are not cutting or rearranging any of your organs so the possibility of complications is minimal. I went to Mexico to have my surgery. The cost was $7,500 including hotel, transportation etc. - almost half the cost of the surgery in Ontario which is $16,000 an the care is excellent! Do lots of research. There are many doctors with different reputations. And, because the surgery is not covered in Saskatchewan, my extended health care plan is going to reimburse some of my expenses (one of the criteria was that the surgery had to be covered in at least one other province but isn't covered in Saskatchewan). The other important factor is that all of the expenses associated with your surgery (including transportation, meals, hotels etc.) are tax deductible! Good luck.
MLM
on 6/14/07 12:29 pm - Quebec City, Canada
Hi again! Guess this post answers my previous question in your last thread. I also chose the lapband. I thought I NEEDED what the RNY would provide, but I didn't like the thought of never being able to have a piece of cake, or whatever, again. It's reversible, and unobtrusive. The risk of complications are less, and those you can have are a hell of alot less scary. You lose slower, but at least that gives your skin a better chance of catching up!? I was banded in March 06, and to date have lost 116lbs. Started at 284, am now 168. I'm hoping to get to 142, just so I can say I lost half my weight! I went to Ontario, but if I could have went to Mexico, and still have had family support (which I needed to be able to afford it), I probably would have. You really need to be sure that you have aftercare SOLIDIFIED in SK before you do it though, cause you don't want to be all banded, with no one to fill ya! I'm happy with the clinic and surgeon I went with, and wouldn't change a thing. Well... maybe the price. It was Dr. Cobourn at www.lapband.ca He's working on having people available to do fills for his patients in every province, so out-of-provincers don't have to travel SO far. The other (good) option in ON is the TLBC and their website is www.tlbc.ca Good luck with your decision.
Tanya G.
on 6/17/07 7:40 am - Saskatoon SK, Canada
I have decided on bypass. For a number of reasons, I think bypass is the better choice for me long term. I have given it lots of thought and researched it well. I will keep researching too right up until surgery is booked. I have talked to lots of people on different discussion forums and read lots of opinions and daily expereinces. This is the best physical and mental choice for me right now. I am happy with my decision even if I still have questions. Partly, that's just the kind of person I am. I will stay connected to this page because in the end, we are all people who have had weight loss surgery and it is nice to know I am not alone in this part of the world. Thanks for the support. I hope I can be of support to you sometime.
PennyV
on 6/17/07 7:59 am - Canada
Hi Tanya I wish you all the best. I too am booked for surgery but have decided on Lap Band. I have met 2 people who have been to Dr. Kuri and feel that it is very safe. I have done about 6 months of research and have been referred to edmonton by my doc. but have decided against something sooo drastic. At least if something goes wrong done the road It is reversable. I ahve spoken to and written letters to Sask. Health indication they need to get on board with lap band surgery or even covering bypass in the private sectors. They will not budge. I bet right after I pay for my surgery they will approve it lol... wish you all the best. Penny
Tanya G.
on 6/17/07 1:36 pm - Saskatoon SK, Canada
Hi Penny, Good to hear from you. I wish you lots of luck too. I would love to hear how it all turns out for you. I will be looking for a post from you in the future. When are you booked for? It's interesting how Sask Health can ignore all of us. I have spoken to, written to and emailed them, Dr. Ash with Sask Health and my MLA. Sask Health at least replys unlike the MLA. So much for his vote! I have been so frustrated with them about covering lap band. Good for you for taking it in your own hands. Did you talk to Shirley about Dr. Kuri? What kind of plan do you have if you have complications in Mexico? That was one of my reasons for not going but I honestly did not look into insurance on elective procedures out of country. All the best to you and may you be skinny soon!
PennyV
on 6/17/07 10:52 pm - Canada
Tanya My surgery is on Aug 6th & I went through Shirley. I'm just going to take it one day at a time. I am staying an extra night in Mexico & a night in San Diego before coming home. My understanding is that there a very few complications but of course there can always be problems in any surgery. my doctor is reading up on this surgery so he will also be able to give me support. I talked to Dr. Coucill at Sask Health, very nice man I actually talk to him thru my work but I don't think he put 2 & 2 together. He phoned me back several times but the answer was still no. I just read on theAlberta sight that they are covering part of the cost for people in Alberta. Maybe Sask. will take notice!!! Thank-you for your support & I will keep in touch.
PennyV
on 6/22/07 2:23 am - Canada
Hi Tanya I thought I would let you know That I sent an E-mail to Brad Wall. He is the MLA for Swift Currant but he is the Leader of the official opposition. He will make sure our problems are looked into . He actually sent my e-mail to Don McMorris MLA He is the Sask Party Health Critic. So If everybody from Sask. who is needing help for their surgery contacts these people maybe they will take notice. [email protected] & [email protected]. We need to band(no pun intended) together & get some support for Lap Band & Gastric Bypass surgery.
Tanya G.
on 6/24/07 5:32 am - Saskatoon SK, Canada
I will definatley be in touch with him! Thanks for taking that initiative and I will follow through. It may not benefit me but I hope it does others! Keep me posted. Tanya PS Did you post a new thread to let everyone know you did this and to encourage others to do so to?
Most Active