to all sask. lapband & gastric seekers

PennyV
on 6/24/07 8:10 am - Canada
I thought I would let you know That I sent an E-mail to Brad Wall. He is the MLA for Swift Currant but he is the Leader of the official opposition. He will make sure our problems are looked into . He actually sent my e-mail to Don McMorris MLA He is the Sask Party Health Critic. So If everybody from Sask. who is needing help for their surgery contacts these people maybe they will take notice. [email protected] & [email protected]. We need to band(no pun intended) together & get some support for Lap Band & Gastric Bypass surgery.
frogger275
on 6/25/07 1:30 am - Annaheim, Canada
Thank you Penny for the information!! I am definitely going to send an e-mail to these people and explain that we are worthy of a long and healthy life just like anyone else in this province-country!! Let me know if you have any additional information - such as a reply from the ministers. Elaine
sandyinsaskatchewan
on 10/23/07 11:10 am - Saskatoon, Canada
Hello to all. I have just started my search for surgery here in SK. My family doctor feels it is the best option for me at this time. However I'm sure you have heard this story before. There are no surgeons in SK. I am able to travel to either B.C. or Alberta. My question is this. Where do I go from here. I'm at a loss as to what steps to take. I need to find a surgeon that participates in The Inter-provincial Billing Agreement. I think thats what it is called. Can you help me.
PennyV
on 10/23/07 10:35 pm - Canada
Hi Sandy I am sorry to tell you not much has changed in Sask. I know Regina is putting a program together but like anything else it will take years. I hear they are only doing 2 surgeries a year right now and there are over 200 people on the waiting list. You can be referred to Alberta by your doc. but there is at least a 3 yr waiting list for out of provincers. I do not know much about B.C. Toronto & Quebec you have to pay. I went to Mexico Dr. Kuri and can claim my expenses on my income tax, it was hald the price & with $ sitting good right now it is even better. If you would send e-mails to the addresses in my previous comments & pass them on to everybody you know, maybe we can speed things up here.... it is so frustrating that they don't take obesity seriously.. I know I haven't been much help Sandy but your best bet is to take a loan & go to Mexico. They have fabulous facilities & Doctors there. I wish you all the best Sandy. If you want more info let me know. Penny
sandyinsaskatchewan
on 10/25/07 5:54 am - Saskatoon, Canada
Thank you for the info, however I am not financially able of pay for the surgery myself. I am a single mother with a very young daughter who I am not able to leave. I need to have the surgery in Canada where I can stay with family or friends to help me with my daughter while I recover. Thanks again, Sandy
kashy
on 2/5/08 1:35 am - Regina, Canada
Hi Penny. I am brand new. Do you think with a BMI of 30.something I would qualify for lap band surgery? How much does it cost in Mexico? Any helpful info you can give me? Saskatchewan is like living in the 50's or something. We are WAY behind everybody else. Obesity surgery could probably save them lots of health care costs that will otherwise be incurred because of the obesity in the first place. Look forwart to hearing from you!
PennyV
on 2/5/08 10:42 am - Canada
Hi Kathy I am sure a BMI of 30 something would qualify. Sask is so out of touch with the world it hurts....in my job I talk to some of the big wigs in Sask Health & they all agree that they could be saving themselves money but they can not seem to keep doctors around who will perform such surrgery. Shirley Bergen is a co-ordinator for Dr. Kuri in Mexico & she lives @ Little Bear Sask. She helps you get in touch with Dr. Kuri and arranging appointments. It is a very clean & beautiful hospital, they are very professional and Dr, Kuri is very approachable. I am going to claim the cost of surgery & travel on my income tax to see what will happen. The cost was $8000.00 us and your flights. In ontario & Quebec it is 18000.00 plus flights. There are 2 nurses in Saskatoon that do fills @ 50.00 each. You can reach Shirley at her E-mail address (she is away right now) [email protected] & she will get back to you rather quickly, she checks her e-mails daily. Hope I have been of help to you... Good luck with your journey. Penny
frogger275
on 2/6/08 11:00 pm - Annaheim, Canada
Hi Penny & Kathy! How are you doing Penny? I have been stuck at the same weight for about 3 weeks now and nothing I do seems to budge it! I think it is time for a fill again. A friend of mine is getting her surgery by Dr. Kuri later on in February (when she gets her passport) and she is paying for my flight to go down with her! I am so excited to see Dr. Kuri again and get a fill and fluro from him at the same time! Kathy - welcome to the world of LapBand! If you make your choice to go down to Mexico - you won't be disappointed! It really is the start of a new life! I know from my experience - I just felt better about myself even just after surgery! It may cost a little bit but to me I am worth it. Sorry for the ramblings! I wish you good luck in your decision! Penny I hope things are going better for you! Let me know how you are doing!! Elaine Frerichs Annaheim, SK Banded 09/11/2007 - Dr. Kuri - Mexico
Most Active