Where are all the Saskatchewan People?

StrawWalker
on 6/5/10 12:58 am
 I am certain Sask does bariatric surgery yet I never see anyone posting on here.  Being a person going through the process from a remote area, it would be nice to have some form of support.  Surely there are those of you that have gone through the process that check this board no?  
Sorry if this comes off as somewhat of a complaint, it is just that I would love to talk to some fellow Sask people who have been through the process here and get some of thier wisdom from thier experiences.
Thanks to any and all that post a reply.
Straw Walker
dbrad2010
on 6/7/10 11:51 am - Luseland, Canada

I am from small town Saskatchewan and was sleeved on May 27th of this year by Dr. Aceves in Mexicali.  Everything went very well with no complications.  I am following the instructions closely and am losing weight quite fast so far.  I also have been watching for posts by Sask. people but not much activity.

StrawWalker
on 6/8/10 12:59 am
 Hello there my fellow Saskatchewanonian!  So good to 'see' a friendly face.  Thanks for posting a reply.  This is so cool that you tell me that you went to Mexico as this is something that I have considered as the wait times here are so long.  I actually now have an appointment for the bariatric program in Regina at the end of summer but they only do RNY from what I understand.  I feel that the VSG is the superior procedure at least for me.  What was your thought process that led you to Mexico and to the VSG as opposed to here in Sask with the RNY?  I am also on the list for the Weight Wise program in Alberta as they offer the VSG.  They say that I can expect a phone call from them in over a year.  ACK.  I have already been on thier list since Oct/09.  

So....have you needed any follow up care and if so, where do you get it?  Have you had any problems ?  Would you do it all over again?  Has it been successful?  Has it been hard?  

I am so sorry for all the questions and please only answer those that you are comfortable with.  

Take care and thanks.
Straw Walker
dbrad2010
on 6/8/10 3:16 am - Luseland, Canada
I was on the list for the Weight Wise program in Alberta too.  I didn;t hear from them for over a year so I started researching the different surgeries available only to find out that I was too old (64) to qualify for any of the Provincial programs.  My only hope was to go to a private clinic and Mexico was my only option financially.  I did a lot of research and chose the VSG as I felt it had the lowest risk of complications and was the best fit for me.  I am early out but have had no complications at all other than being a little tired.  I was extremely nervous going in but found it nearly painless and easy.  I have had none of the problems (gas, nausia) reported by some people.  So far I have been losing aprox. 3 lbs a day and hope it continues.  As far as follow up my family doctor has been very supportive and will arrange for my follow up blood work and x-rays. Also I stay in contact with the Mexicali surgery team with any questions or concerns.

I hope this is of some help to you in making your decision.

Don
StrawWalker
on 6/8/10 7:54 am
 Hey Don, thanks so much for getting back to me.  I really do appreciate it.  When did you sign up with the Weight Wise program?  Did you eventually hear from them at all?  I hear so many positive things about the VSG.  I also hear some bad things about the RNY.  I too think that the VSG is the safest way to go.  3 pounds a day???  Do I dare to dream?  And wow...look at you doing this at the age of 64!  You are someone special no doubt.  You traveled abroad as well.  These are big steps and you did them.  To do them at any age can be very difficult but as we get older, things seem a litter harder to do.  I applaud you.  How far out are you from the op?  Are you finding it difficult to eat post op?  Do you ever feel hungry?  Your surgeon was very good?  If so, why?
Thanks so much.  
Straw Walker
dbrad2010
on 6/12/10 3:52 am - Luseland, Canada
I signed up with the Weight Wise program in early 2008.  I did receive one call from them asking if I would like to attend an orientation meeting.  I agreed and they were to get back to me with the date but never heard from them again.  I am just over 2 weeks out hence the rapid weight loss.  I have just finished the liquid stage and am starting on soft foods now.  So far I have had no problems eating other than minor indigestion if not careful.  I really liked my surgeon as he seemed very competent and personable.  Everything was well explained and the after care was great.
I chose this surgeon after a lot of research and reading others testimonials.  He has a lot of experience and has good credentials.  Also he supposedly has never had a leak.

Don
StrawWalker
on 6/14/10 2:09 am
 Thanks so much for all the info.  I have some more questions though if that is ok?  Please know you dont have to answer.  I am wondering though, did you feel as though you over ate prior to getting the surgery or would you say that you were suffering from a metabolic resistance to wieght loss?  By that I mean that the rules of energy in = energy out did not seem to apply.  I wonder what ever happened to you being on the list for Weight Wise?  They never did call you then?  That makes me concerned as to weather or not they plan on calling me as well.  
  By chance, do you know if Sask is considering doing the VSG here?  i understand that they just do the RNY and now there also is a private lapband practice.  
  Do you feel real draggy with no energy or are you feeling better as time goes?  Are you supplementing and with what vitamins?  (forgive me if you have already stated so).
Thanks so much for your patience and answering all my questions.
Straw Walker
PlantLover
on 6/18/10 2:00 pm

Just jumping in here.. I'm 9 months out.
Do you have pcos or metabolic issues, Straw?

I have a slow metabolism, but I *don't* have insulin resistance/prediabetes. My A1C is normal etc. I sure did overeat.  I know about my metabolism because I have a gizmo you may have seen on Biggest Loser; it counts the calories I burn in real time. According to my height/weight (5'3" and 200lbs currently) I should burn 2200 calories a day. I generally hit 1700, 2000 if I exercise hard. I'm down 123 lbs tho so my friends tell me to shuddup when I whine about being 'slow'. *grin*

When I was in Mexicali there was a Type 2 diabetic and someone else with PCOS getting sleeved. They're both losing well-Dr Aceves will recommend a low carb (low glycemic index) diet which helps with metabolic resistance. The diabetic is now off all her meds and is considered in remission.

I don't feel draggy, actually I have far more energy than I can remember ever having. I have bad asthma, which has improved so much I can walk on my treadmill every day. I take a multi, dry D and calcium. I probably should take B's, waiting for test results.

hope that helps,
Ivy

StrawWalker
on 6/19/10 1:08 am
 Hello Plant Lover,

I am so so so happy to hear from you.  You sound just like me with with the metabolism thing.  I dont have the gizmo but I do know that at one point a couple years ago i ate less than my 3 year old per day and never lost an ounze.  I am certain my metabolism is whack.  It is very comforting to know that you have lost that much with a slow metabolism and the VSG.  Wow .... you are incredible and must feel so so good now!  I have many questions...lol.  
 I was actually going to book with Dr. Aceves today if you can believe it as I was quite despondant about the whole 'sask does not do VSG' thing but now I will wait till my appointment and have my surgery done here.  Hopefully the drs are doing it by the time my number rolls around.  
I had also considered DS but am squemish about malabsorption.  What is your take on the ds?
Do you live in a small town or city?  Does your dr help with any aftercare?  Did you have any complications at all when you got back from Mexico? How do you find eating now?  What does your family think about your weight loss?  How are you affected by it?  How long did it take you to lose all that weight? 
Ok...I will stop bombarding you with questions for now.  Thanks so much for posting!
Straw Walker
lanacloss
on 6/14/10 3:15 pm
I also went to mexicalli,mexico and had Dr.Alberto Aceves in Feb.2010,I have lost 62 lbs to date...I would go back in a second....Feel free to ask any other questions...

Lana
Most Active