Saskatchewan, Canada anybody already had WLS

~~~Kaye~~~ G.
on 2/8/06 3:25 am - Regina, Canada
Just wanting to see if there is anyone here that has had some type of weight loss surgery, or are thinking about it. My doctor has submitted an application to Sask. Health for out-of-Canada approval, not sure if I will get it because my BMI is 37.5, but with two medical conditions(hypertension, arthritis).
(deactivated member)
on 2/28/06 5:36 am - Albuquerque, NM
I have had WLS. I am from the states. Moved to Saskatchewan two and half years ago. It is a very risky decision to make, I had nothing but complications afterwards. But if you ask if I would do it again, I would tell you yes. I was 350lbs and had severe arthrits and back problems and I was only 21 years old. I am now 26 and 170. Your BMI is under 40, most doctors wouldn't recommmend you for the surgery, I am surprised. However a lot has changed in the last few years too. I wish you the best of luck. If there are any questions or problems that arise, please feel free to contact me. Take care and be well. Best wishes!
DareBear
on 3/24/06 1:45 am - Regina, Canada
Yes, I've had weight loss surgery on Febuary 9th, 2006. The surgeons name is Dr. Brain Colquhoun & he does his surgery out of Saskatoon Saskatchewan, I've got my consult date on October 2nd, 2002, it was a bit of a waiting list but, I'm soo happy that I've got it done. I haven't feel this great on years.... maybe a decade. I would really like to talk to you more about this, plus we have a Regina & Saskatoon weight loss support group. if you like to contact me, please do so. my email is [email protected] or can msn me [email protected] or phone me @ (306) 591-6000 Darren Dormuth Age:39 Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada Pre-Op Weight : 345 lbs (Febuary 9th, 2006) BMI:48.1 Current Weight: 309 lbs (Febuary 23rd, 2006) BMI:43.5 Consult Date: October 2nd, 2002 PAC Date: January 31st, 2006 Surgery Date: Febuary 9th, 2006 Surgeon: Dr. Brian Colquhoun City Hospital, Saskatoon,Saskatchewan, Canada
MLM
on 6/9/06 1:48 pm - Quebec City, Canada
I am in Sask. I got the Lapband in Toronto about 11 weeks ago. I was told there was NO way Sask Health would pay for anything, and they didn't. Dr. C in Saskatoon isn't taking anymore patients, so don't count on that. Good luck!
~~~Kaye~~~ G.
on 6/10/06 7:34 am - Regina, Canada
Hi, Sask. health denied me so I am going to Brazil-D.S. surgery with Dr. Marchesini . Didn't even appeal, figured it would be a waist of energy. Good luck wirh your progress with the lap band. Keep in touch. Kaye G.
June F.
on 1/10/07 9:06 am - Canada
I am leaving for Toronto on January 29 to have my Lapband surgery at the same clinic. How have you done since the surgery? Is it as they described?
Preeti
on 7/18/06 5:03 am - Regina, Canada
Hi, my BMI is 37.1 and I am hoping that my doctor will recommend this surgery as well. I have not been able to find out about doctors here in Saskatchewan that conduct this surgery. I recevied a call from Sask Health mentioning that Dr. Colquhoun no longer conducts this surgery and will be retiring - I hope I received the correct information on this. What were your steps with your doctor to recommend this surgery for you? I have two medical conditions as well (arthiritis, and sleep apnea)
mct1968
on 10/12/06 7:34 am - Regina, Canada
Hi there; Kay - about your surgery and it being referred to out of country - can you let me know how Sask health responds to your doctors submission into that. Let me know the outcome please - please email me @ [email protected] or [email protected] or [email protected]. btw - good luck to you kay ! Marcy
lemonlulu
on 1/8/07 11:33 pm - Canada
I am looking for guidance and information on weight loss surgery. Seems like we would have to pay out of pocket. I was interested in lap banding. Wondering what others picked and why?? Kim
~~~Kaye~~~ G.
on 1/10/07 5:18 am - Regina, Canada
Hi Kim, I'm happy that you have found this web site. It was extrememly helpful when I was searching for information on which surgery would be the best for me. I didn't want to run the risk of any surgery failing, having complications, or re-gaining my weight back over time, or even having to have a revision done some time later. I wanted to find a surgeon with a lot of experience, no mortality rate, and someone with a sincere desire to help obese patients. I wanted to be able to take my arthrotec for my arthritis if I needed to. I didn't want to have to live with vomitting or be in the bathroon constantly. I wanted to live as close to normal of life as I could and be able to eat almost anything in moderation. So having said, that the surgery that was right for me was the bileopancreatic duodenal switch, and I went to Brazil for Dr. Marchesini to give me the medical intervention that I knew that I need if I wanted to have a good quality of life. That decision has been the one of the best decisions that I have ever made. Dr. Marchesini took such good care of me while I was there and continues to follow my lab reports. He is only just a phone call/email distance away. Closer than my doctor in my own home town!!!! Sasketchewan's health care sucks!!! Yes, I did have to pay out of pocket because SK health denied my request for any out of country expenses. For my husband and I to go we spent about $20.000. Feel free to email me anytime or I would be happy to give you my phone number if you would like. Are you living in SK? Take care, Kaye
Most Active