Fruit Empanadas For Cinco De Mayo (Recipe)

Batwingsman
on 5/3/09 7:30 am, edited 5/3/09 9:25 am - Garland, TX
A friend of mine sent me this version, along with "variations" on the ingredients to make it more diet/WLS-friendly (she's not a WLSer, btw)..  Here's the original version:

Ya Better make plenty - these disappear fast! The unbaked dough may be frozen. The baked cookies may also be frozen.You also can use low cal,or sugar free jam or jelly.Also i have tried this,use less cinn, use oleo instead of butter,and replace the sugar with a diet type you like and still turns out like the org.And believe it or not i even made these,using sugar free apple or cherry pie filling instead of jam or jelly,just make sure of having a use for filling if you don't make enough cookies to use all lol .

INGREDIENTS

* 1/2 cup butter, softened
    * 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese
    * 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
    * 1 cup fruit preserves
    * 1/3 cup white sugar
    * 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

DIRECTIONS

1. DAY BEFORE: Cream butter and cream cheese together until smoothly blended. Beat in the flour. Shape dough into a smooth ball, wrap in foil or cling wrap, and refrigerate overnight or up to a week.
   2. AT BAKING TIME: Remove dough from refrigerator 30 minutes before using. Start heating oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
   3. Roll chilled dough thin. Cut with 3 or 4 inch round cookie cutter. Place small spoonful of jam in center of each round, moisten edges with water.
   4. Fold round over and press edges together. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet 15 to 20 minutes. Immediately roll in sugar mixed with cinnamon (traditional) OR in confectioners' sugar if preferred.

Here are the ingredients, using the suggested alternatives, that would make them more WLS-friendly:

1/2 cup low-fat margarine/spread, softened
    * 1 (3 ounce) package low-fat cream cheese
    * 1 cup sifted almond (or flaxseed?) flour
    * 1 cup sugar-free apple or cherry pie filling, or sugar-free     jelly/jam
    * 1/3 cup baking Splenda (Truvia?)
    * 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

(deactivated member)
on 5/3/09 8:37 am, edited 5/3/09 8:38 am - DFW area, TX
Batwingsman
on 5/3/09 9:24 am - Garland, TX
  Paul, allI can say is your wife must REALLY love you ..   Are you always this hateful and negative?   

i've bit my tongue long enough about you, dude ..   

I have yet to see you post something helpful, loving and warm on OH ...  Just negative thoughts, deriding people (and ironically, those who are trying to help others) ..  showing bitterness and acting like you know-it-all, better than anyone else  ..    At best, you later recount and then delete your posts ..  (like what did you say in response to LeaAnn's post re:   Bush and Obama, or did she cut you off at the knees like you've needed done for a long time on here?     )

I don't drink, but obviously either you do, or are on drugs, or aren't on meds you're supposed to be on ..  or am jealous of other WLSer's success or occupations ..  I don't know what your specific problem is, but you better get yourself figured out, straightened out, and get some work, if you can ..      Put that intellect to good use .. 

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

(deactivated member)
on 5/3/09 9:33 am, edited 5/3/09 9:37 am - DFW area, TX
"Just Elizabeth "
on 5/3/09 6:32 pm - Houston, TX

The last person I want to back up in an argument is Paul from Dallas. IMHO in no way should he be stating how great the surgery is when he can not stick to the guidelines.

HOWEVER, in this case he stated at the very beginning that the person that gave him the recipe had not had WLS. He also suggested ways to lighten the fat and sugar. Maybe others (like one person did) can come up with additional options so that this will be more accessible to all surgery types.

He also stated that this was a holiday item. NOT something for every day. How is that any different than recipes at Christmas, Easter or Hanukkah?

Don't like the FACT that DSers need more fat to be healthy (and yes I said NEED)? Too damn bad! If we only absorb 20% of the fat we absorb and we need 20 grams of fat a day to be healthy (this number is arbitrary for convenience) then we would need 100 grams of fat to absorb a HEALTHY dose of fat.

And one last thing. This is the Texas board. Not the Lap Band, RNY, DS or Paul's Private Board. All surgery types are welcome.

Elizabeth                                                      
Back in the U.S.A.

"I have lost the lumbering hulk that I once was.  I don't hide behind my clothes or behind my door.  I am part of life's rich tapestry not an observer."  Kirmy

Gina 21 Years Out
on 5/3/09 11:07 am - Burleson, TX

Just MY ever so humble opinion, of course, but Dallas Paul has NO reason to be jealous of ANYone's ANYthing. He is most ABSOLUTELY a "successful" WLSer, and one of the most INTELLIGENT people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. My intention in not to get in the middle of you boys's ******g contest, but let's at least play fair and tell the truth.

Atty Paul-it's no big secret you "long to belong" and I think most people feel sorry for you and overlook alot of crap you say..me among them. You have good experience and info to share with the board, on occasion, and I hope you will continue to do so-and limit the ******g contests.

Like I said...just my opinion..feel free to ignore...

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Liz_G_Tx
on 5/3/09 1:51 pm
interesting.. same analogy i used when we had a girl in our local group bring freaking CUPCAKES to every support group meeting. WTF!?!?!? her excuse?? well im advertising my business.  This isnt the place to do it!

When I was born, I cried and the world rejoiced. Now i wanna live my  life so that when I die, the world cries and I rejoice

Gina 21 Years Out
on 5/3/09 10:54 am - Burleson, TX
As wonderful as these sound, I'd be rolled in a fetal position on the bathroom floor, for hours,  if I ate them....are ya TRYING to kill me????????

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

prplecat
on 5/3/09 1:17 pm - Wichita Falls, TX
Would it work to take wonton wrappers, put a little "all-fruit" (nothing added) preserves on one side, moisten the edges to seal, spray lightly with oil, bake until golden, then dust with a little cinnamon?  They might not be as yummy, but maybe they wouldn't kill anyone, either. 

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music. 

Jill P
on 5/3/09 2:10 pm - Katy, TX
Hi ya'll......   uhm, time to blow the whistle and tell everyone not to throw sand in the sandbox.... 

I look at it this way, it's like a station on TV, you either stop to watch it or MOVE ON.  With this one, we choose to use the recipe, or not.  I understand BOTH sides...where some people definitely cannot have sugar, then don't make them.  Sometimes I make things for my hubby to take to work so LIKE seeing recipes.  Atty Paul...if you posted the "more WLS friendly" version, then thanks.  I would make it THAT way FOR my family and/or hubby's work who CAN have sugar as they love it when they can have things that are a treat, just not so "loaded". 

We are all JUUUUST now getting back to being civil here, let's try to KEEP IT that way.  No comments about anyone or their wives, significant others, etc. are needed.  Let's all play nice!!! 
Jill P. 
288/162/145
9-21-04

Most Active
Recent Topics
constipations remedies
BrandonApafe · 0 replies · 43 views
Good morning Texas! 1/3/2024
Laura P. · 0 replies · 117 views
I'm new here
TattooMom · 4 replies · 427 views