I may waddle when I run, but I'm running all the same

Loralea
on 5/3/09 11:03 am - Trophy Club, TX

Found this tonight and loved it....

I AM NOT A JOGGER

I may waddle when I run, but I'm running all the same

By John Bingham
The late Dr. George Sheehan once wrote that the difference between a runner and a jogger was a signature on a race application. As succinct as Dr. Sheehan's definition was, it made the point. If you were motivated enough to train for and participate in an organized running event, then you were a runner. Anyone willing to risk public failure in order to be a part of the running community--no matter what his or her pace per mile might be--was a runner. Period. Kind of hard for anyone to argue with that logic.

Your reasons may be different from mine, but here's why I know I am a runner:

I AM A RUNNER because my runs have names. I do tempro runs and threshold runs and fartlek runs. I do long, slow runs and track workouts. My runs are defined, even if my abs are not.

I AM A RUNNER because my shoes are training equipment, not a fashion statement. The best shoe for me is the one that makes me a better runner. I choose the shoe that goes with my running mechanics, not my running outfit.

I AM A RUNNER because I don't have running outfits. I have technical shirts and shorts and socks. I have apparel that enhances the experience of running by allowing me to run comfortably. I can say "Coolmax" and "Gore-Tex" in the same sentence and know which does what.

I AM A RUNNER because I know what effort feels like, and I embrace it. I know when I'm pushing the limits of my comfort and why I'm doing it. I know that heavy breathing and an accelerated heart rate--things I once avoided--are necessary if I want to be a better runner.

I AM A RUNNER because I value and respect my body. It will whisper to me when I've done too much. And if I choose to listen to that whisper, my body won't have to scream in pain later on.

I AM A RUNNER because I am willing to lay it all on the line. I know that every finish line has the potential to lift my spirits to new highs or devastate me, yet I line up anyway.

I AM A RUNNER because I know that despite my best efforts, I will always want more from myself. I will always want to know my limits so that I can exceed them.

I AM A RUNNER because I run. Not because I run fast. Not because I run far.

I AM A RUNNER because I say I am. And no one can tell me I'm not.

Waddle on, friends.

Loralea
285 / 250 / 164 / 142
(2 mos. pre-op / surgery date / current / goal)

My Message to You -- shared by Loralea   http://blog.loralea.com

Gina 21 Years Out
on 5/3/09 8:23 pm - Burleson, TX
LOVE IT!!! Maybe I'm a runner, after all, cuz I DID let that guy at Luke's Locker sell me those BLUE shoes, cuz they fit my stride...when I REALLY wanted the PINK ones that looked cuter....but then again...there weren't any signs that said "waddle shoes"...I'm so confused...

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Debra F.
on 5/4/09 7:09 am - Houston, TX
ahhh ms gina check out that new pic....wooohoo cant wait to see you
Debra
227/205/135 at goal
1st Surgery/Revision/Today
8/98 - 8/04 - today
Support Group Leader 
Co- Founder www.rydobesity.com
Gina 21 Years Out
on 5/4/09 12:16 pm - Burleson, TX
DEBRA--won't be long now!!!!!!

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

gayetindel
on 5/3/09 11:45 pm - Everman, TX
AMEN - sista - preach on -

You are so right, you are a runner!!!!!! and I love you for it

Gaye
 Life is what you make of it! Enjoy when possible.
JennD
on 5/4/09 2:04 am - Allen, TX
I know you are going to laugh but I am going to say it anyway.  This made me cry.  I am printing it out and posting it where I can see it daily.  Thanks for sharing it!

LOL,
Big baby Jenn
I'm not perfect but I'm me and that is good enough!

TraceyC
on 5/4/09 8:36 am - DFW, TX
Love it! I guess I will own it too! Love you fellow Princess Marathoner!

The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique. Walt Disney 
http://www.TickerFactory.com/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/2;10728;28/st/20110112/n/Blake/dt/-1/k/3fb3/s-age.png">>

Most Active
Recent Topics
constipations remedies
BrandonApafe · 0 replies · 43 views
Good morning Texas! 1/3/2024
Laura P. · 0 replies · 117 views
I'm new here
TattooMom · 4 replies · 427 views