questions regarding recovery time

mavreen96
on 5/5/09 3:53 am - TX
I am currently waiting for a sugery date.  I have to go next week to have ENG done and as soon as the doctor gets the results they will schedule my surgery.  I might have to move my surgery date up to June 1st because my doctor won't be available for the 8th.  I am trying to make plans for my kids and other things and I was wondering what the average recovery time is for the Laproscopic RNY is that people have experienced? The doctor said 2 weeks...I am hoping for less...I have 2 5-year old daughters and a 12 year old son.  I know the 12 year old will be extremly helpful. Anyway just needing to know average recovery time.

Thanks!
Tonya
lynnewa
on 5/5/09 5:21 am - Terrell, TX
congratulations on making the decision to change your life for the better!  and you will hear that everyone is different, some people recover quicker than others, and some are slower.  i was a slow one.  i had a couple of complications, nothing i did, but i ended up missing about 6 weeks of work.  i do think that is the exception, most seem to bounce back quicker.  also, i am older that many on this board (55).  i think that has a big impact on your recovery rate, too.  most of the people i talk to did recover in about 2 -3 weeks. 
good luck, and remember, we will all be praying for you and your rapid recovery!
lynne
lynnewa
on 5/5/09 5:24 am - Terrell, TX
hey, i just noticed you have my surgeon!  i really like him a lot and most appreciate that we get to see him at our post surgery appts.  some places, they end up seeing someone else.  baylor has a great support group, available to only baylor patients.  some places charge for the support groups, if they even have one.  dr. matin won't release you to drive until you are off the pain meds and if you take your meds, you will recover faster.
lynne
Stephanie G.
on 5/5/09 5:28 am - Rowlett, TX
Do you work outside the home?  If so what kind of work?  I am a L&D nurse and my job entails a LOT of tugging and pulling so I took off a month.  Probably could of gone back in 3 weeks.  People with desk jobs often go back in 1-2 weeks.  If you are a stay at home Mom, you should be able to care for your kids in a week.

~Stephanie~
RNY revision from lapband 7/30/07...TT/BL 10/9/08 and at GOAL

cajungirl
on 5/5/09 5:42 am
Tonya, I had lab RNY and had very minimal pain.  I spent one night in the hospital with the pain pump and took pain meds the first night home after surgery only because of being tired from the commute (45 minutes) home from the hospital. 

My recovery was a breeze, I did take 2 weeks off of work because they were available but I could of gone back after one week, I felt good enough.  Ok, here is the kicker my energy was there initially at week 3 the exhaustion hit me like a mac truck.  I stayed tired for 5 weeks and it took determination on my part to do much.  I worked then came home and literally did nothing in the afternoon for 5 weeks except cook, take a bathe and lay down. 

My boys were 3 and 4 1/2 when I had surgery and they survived.  Your 12 yo will be a big help during this time.  You might want to cook up some food that can be frozen and microwaved to help you during the month or so after surgery. 

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Truuwon
on 5/5/09 5:43 am - Garland , TX
RNY on 04/28/09 with

Hi there Tonya,
I would definitely plan on two weeks at the least.
I just had Lap/RNY on 4/28/09 and I am at work today (5/5/09)
wondering what in the world I was thinking  to only take
off one week.  I had no complications and to be honest I feel
GREAT...... But I don't have my strength/stamina back yetJust wanna SLEEP.... LOL.
Everyone is different though, I have two coworkers that had it
done last year and one returned to work in one week with not
a one problem, the other lady(also had no problems ) required three weeks off. So just think
about it in terms of this being "surgery" Even though it's come
a long way , your body will still need time to bounce back.

Good Luck to You
And take Care !!!!!

1texasmom
on 5/5/09 5:57 am
Depending on your doc's rules, it will be 6-8 weeks before you can pick up ypour kiddos.  And like the others it took me 5-6 weeks to get my energy back.  But just shuffling around and doing every day daily self care was no problem by day 3 and within a week I was fine with lots of mini naps.  I took 3 weeks off of work, but wished I'd taken 6 and I work from home.  Just take care and learn to isten to your body. 

RNY: 11/19/07

SW:260

LW: 140 (January 09)

CW: 180

GW: 155-160

mavreen96
on 5/5/09 7:53 am - TX
Well i am a teacher so I will have the whole summer to fully recoup.  We are supposed to be going to disneyland in July which would be a full 6 weeks after surgery.  I hoping the combination of weight loss the 6 weeks will have me feeling fine for it.  Thanks for your replies. Good to know that I will be up and moving to do small things after 3-4 days.  I have had 2 C-Sections and a tubal and didn't seem to have to much trouble after that about moving...just hard to get up and down.

Tonya
Most Active
Recent Topics
constipations remedies
BrandonApafe · 0 replies · 43 views
Good morning Texas! 1/3/2024
Laura P. · 0 replies · 117 views
I'm new here
TattooMom · 4 replies · 427 views