Adkins Advantage Shakes

carvanz
on 5/6/09 11:47 pm - Mart, TX
Does anyone have any experience with the Adkins Advantage shakes?  I have tried these and really like them but I'm not sure if they will qualify after my surgery.  I have included the nutritional information for them.  Will they provide the needed protein and nutrition that is required after surgery.  I understand that I will still need to take a multivitamin.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 can (325.0 g)

Amount per Serving

Calories 160 Calories from Fat 80

% Daily Value *
Total Fat 9g 14%
    Saturated Fat  2g 10%
Cholesterol 5mg 2%
Sodium 125mg 5%
Potassium 600mg 17%
Total Carbohydrate 6g 2%
    Dietary Fiber  4g 16%
    Sugars  1g
Protein 15g 30%

Vitamin A 30%
Vitamin C 30%
Calcium 40%
Iron 25%
Vitamin D 0%
Vitamin E 0%
Vitamin K 30%
Thiamin (B1) 30%
Riboflavin (B2) 30%
Niacin (B3) 30%
Vitamin B6 30%
Folic Acid (Folate) 30%
Vitamin B12 30%
Magnesium 20%
Panthothenic Acid 30%
Zinc 20%
Copper 20%
Manganese 25%
Chromium 15%
Molybdenum 15%

Est. Percent of Calories from:
Fat 50.6%     Carbs 15.0%
Protein 37.5%
Gina 21 Years Out
on 5/7/09 12:04 am - Burleson, TX

They will be fina as part of your protein supplementation, but will NOT take th eplace of your daily required vitamin intake. I'll leave THAT regime for our resident vitamin expert, DANA, to chime in and report on. I like to keep a few cans of the Adkins on hand for when I'm in a rush and need something "portable' to throw in my work bag for my 12 hour shifts. The chocolate caramel is my current fave..and anything "coffee like"...AGAIN--kudos to you for doing your research-I predict you are going to be VERY successful. FYI-I also like the EAS shakes....the vanilla are good...not too crazy about the strawberry..all are ebst when serves SUPER cold, in my opinion. Hope this rambling helps...I've been awake 24+ hours now and am running on caffeine fumes.....

Gina AKA Nurse Diva

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Long2beThin
on 5/7/09 12:05 am - Houston, TX
VSG on 04/05/08 with
I used them as part of a low carb diet before my surgery, but they are so rich, and they gave me the runs after surgery. I'd like to try them again, because they really are just about the best tasting ones I've had.

Good luck!

Dorothy
meggieintx
on 5/7/09 12:56 am - Fort Worth, TX
These are great to supplement your protein but I agree with Gina not for vit supplement! I like Worldwide pure protein myself. It is terrific you are doing your research but do remember your taste may change after surgery!
meggie
Megan 
Liz_G_Tx
on 5/7/09 1:27 am
hi,
i use these and the Slim fast LOW CARB for my quick grab and go's but only for my protein, NOT FOR VITS! Trust me, you still need a DAILY vitamin regimine.  One of our long term post ops just last week had some SEVERE issues due to vitamin deficiency. 
You MUST MUST MUST take your vits after surgery.  Do whatever your surgeon tells you :)
(and you can ask us too lol)
Liz

When I was born, I cried and the world rejoiced. Now i wanna live my  life so that when I die, the world cries and I rejoice

timsdanni
on 5/7/09 1:56 am - Ft Stewart, GA
protien to cals n sugar grams look good- I use my shakes to ADD to my vits NOT instead of- and one of the reasons I think my labs are good is b/c I have not skipped a day in the last 3 yrs of having at least 2 shakes- including the day after a housefire lol
so I do look at the vits in my shakes but take my daily vits no matter what- not as good with my weekly b12 shot n my labs show it too

so I would say defintally yes u can drink these post op- don't buy a bunch b/c your tastes will change, just have a few on hand

danni
Home is where the army allows me to live with my husband

I know what I need to do - I have to choose to take care of me or I choose to fail

cajungirl
on 5/7/09 2:45 am
I understand that I will still need to take a multivitamin.

Can I ask what surgery you are having?  If you are having a malabsorptive surgery then a multi-vitamin a day is NOT enough.  With lapband or VSG then you might be ok, depending on where your levels are before and how much you are able to intake after.  Just remember, no matter what surgery you have, after surgery your intake is going to be very limited so supplementing is a necessity, not an option.

If you are having RNY or DS, then you will need way more than just a multi-vitamin.  If you want a suggested list for either surgery shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll forward you the "suggested" plan.

The Atkins shake is a good option for you.  As Danni mentioned don't stock up on them, your taste will probably change, you may become lactose intolerant, etc. and they won't work after surgery.

Good luck!

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

carvanz
on 5/7/09 3:04 am - Mart, TX
I'm having the RNY.  The lactose intolerant was kind of what I was wondering about.  I didn't know if there was too much fat, too much sugar, too much of anything in them that might make me either sick or hinder my progress.  I'll send you the PM if I can figure out how to do that. 
Phyllis M.
on 5/7/09 4:25 am - Irving, TX
I love them..................before and after surgery -  My MUT and Surgeon recommended them to me too !!   So I guess - that is a good things
I couldn't tolerate the Slim Fast Low Carb ones tho  - they caused diarrehea on me.....after surgery

good luck !!  .
  • Pease check out Dr. Connie Stapleton's Website. A lot of good information on there for all WLS patients regardless of the surgery you chose.  Good luck to all and I'm here for you if you want to send me an email.  I'll answer it as soon as possible.  
  • Total Lost:  139 lbs
  • Current Weight:  263  
  • As of 11-10-13 I have had weight gain.  Not happy about that.
  • RNY: 10-16-07 = 338:  Highest weight: 350+  Lowest Weight: 199 

carvanz
on 5/7/09 4:43 am - Mart, TX
Thanks everyone for all the opinions, tips and advice.  You all seem to be a great group of people.  I look forward to becoming one of the gang!  May 16th! 
Most Active
Recent Topics
constipations remedies
BrandonApafe · 0 replies · 55 views
Good morning Texas! 1/3/2024
Laura P. · 0 replies · 130 views
I'm new here
TattooMom · 4 replies · 438 views