I am a newbie and surgery is next Tuesday!!!

tamtully71
on 8/10/11 7:23 am
I am newbie here on the Texas forum.  I am having my RNY next Tuesday the 16th.  I am a little nervous and this liquid diet is rough... I now see that my life has always revolved around food!  It is strange sitting here thinking that I will no longer be able to indulge myself during family events...  My family has always gathered together over a meal so it is going to be very different when I go to visit them at Christmas, but my mom says that she will cook a small meal and they are so supportive of my decision.  I am having my surgery at Darnall Army Medical Center and Dr. Mcdermott is my surgeon(I think I spelled his name right) I was just wandering if it is normal to feel sad and scared, because I am a little down, but when I think of myself healthier it perks me up... I have diabetes, high bloodpressure, and cholesterol problems... I am insulin dependant and that is something I hope will change!!!  I see all the before and after pictures and I am so inspired.  My husband and I have been at Ft. Hood a little over a year and I have made 1 friend... I am a recluse partly because of my weight and the fact that I give out easily when it comes to doing things outdoors.  I am hoping and praying that this tool will help me to become the person that I have always felt I was on the inside...
Karla Lewis
on 8/10/11 11:08 am - Livingston, TX
What you are feeling is perfectly normal. Congrats on choosing to take control of your health. You will be so glad you had the surgery. Hope it goes well and you have an easy recovery.

Karla

Karla Lewis     337/194/175
Lap RNY 1-23-2006     Dr. Terry Scarborough   Houston, TX
Lipo 4-27-2007           Dr. David Wainwright      Houston, TX
LBL 11-13-2007           Dr. David Wainwright      Houston, TX
BL & brachioplasty  7-18-2008       Dr. David Wainwright    Houston, TX

Vivian Prouty
on 8/10/11 9:28 pm - Fort Worth, TX
 Welcome to the Texas Message Board and congratulations on your upcoming surgery.    Don't dread the holiday's.    By Christmas you should be able to tolerate some of the foods that you love just in much smaller portions.    Try to find a support group in your area to attend if your surgeon doesn't offer one.    Attending support groups is a very important thing to do IMHO.  I am sure soon you will be off most of those meds that you are now taking.    Good luck to you and congratulations on soon becoming a healthier person.    

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

Stephanie G.
on 8/10/11 9:37 pm - Rowlett, TX
If you weren't scared and anxious, I'd be worried.  What you're feeling is perfectly normal.  I was absolutely terrified that I'd never eat anything that tasted good ever again.  I am such a picky eater that it literally made me sick to my stomach pre-op thinking about not being able to find anything I could eat post-op.  Here I am 4 years later, went from a size 24 to an 8 and can eat basically anything I want.  I have trouble with milk products and fried greasy foods but other than that-I can eat anything.  I had sleep apnea (used a C-Pap machine for 2 years), high blood pressure and early diabetes.  All of that is gone and I am healthier than I've ever been.  I'm not telling you this to brag but hopefully to allay your fears. 

The best advise I can give you is to stick to your doctor's advise and to follow your post-op diet.  By Christmas, you'll be able to eat a small portion of most of Mom's favorite things.  Turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy is still one of my favorite meals.  Good luck and post any questions that you have.  We've all been there and are more than willing to hold your hand just as other's held ours.

~Stephanie~
RNY revision from lapband 7/30/07...TT/BL 10/9/08 and at GOAL

tamtully71
on 8/14/11 11:04 am
Thank you so much :)  I really appreciate all the encourageing words!!  I feel better knowing that it is all going to be o****ep telling myself that, but it is hard to hear yourself speak sometimes.  I am so tired of the way I am living running from one fast food joint to the next just because that is what I am so use to doing when I go to town.  I don't think I have ever just gone to town and come home without stopping and getting something to eat :(  I have become so ashamed of who I am and I am so ready to change!!!  I know it is not easy but my life is worth fighting for and I see that now!!!  Thank you all and I am so glad to know that you all are here and Ifeel that I can come here and talk and vent and just be me... Thank you all and God bless each of you in your journeys :)
gracie5
on 8/13/11 10:12 am
Hi-I had surgery 8-3-2011 and I'm doing great,already went for followup and talked to surgeon,positive thoughts and  supportive people around you,just remember this is something for you and for your health,wish you the best-Hugs to you 

tamtully71
on 8/15/11 12:07 pm
Awe thank you and I am so glad to hear you are doing great!!! That is awesome!!!!  I can't wait to see myself a year from now!!!  :)  Gotta be at the hospital at 6am and surgery begins at 8am
kathy L.
on 8/16/11 5:25 pm - Fox Lake, IL
Welcome,,, my name is Kathy, i had my surgr may 19th 2011... it has been a journey for me.. i too was very scared and nervous.. as everyone else... i'm not going to sugar coat anything.. it's hard girl.. it is hard.. u want to eat food 2 weeks after u get home and u just can't. i've had a few complication but no bad ones. I do not regret having my surgery. i'm very happy that i have.. it's just that it felt like ever before u get to eat solid foods.. and when u do u get sick if u eat fast... aways eat slow very very important...
I live in copperas cove and dont know anyone here besides my boyfriend. woud u like to go thru this journey together.. i would really like to have a friend who is going thru the same as i...
drop me a line.. .and if not i'm willing to be friends...
hope u doing going... the next week is the hardest.. but u'll get thru it... take it slow.. no rush to do anything... if u have any questions i will answer them.. everyone is different..
i know u had ur surgery today... i hope to hear from u soon....

kathy
KingofCrazy
on 8/16/11 6:03 pm - TX
i had surgery June 2010 and I was very scared youll be ok any questions ask me
Michael Pearson
Most Active
Recent Topics
constipations remedies
BrandonApafe · 0 replies · 38 views
Good morning Texas! 1/3/2024
Laura P. · 0 replies · 113 views
I'm new here