IHC & Weight Loss Surgery...

YuckyMeds
on 5/28/08 12:48 pm
I was talking to a friend tonight, who is very interested in weight loss surgery (his insurance is through IHC.)  I could be wrong, but I thought IHC wouldn't cover bypass or lapband surgery, period.  I hope, I'm wrong, though.  Does anybody know about this?  I went to the IHC website, but couldn't find any info... Thanks!
smlozano
on 6/6/08 9:38 am - Riverton, UT
I hate to tell you this, but your friend is absolutely right.  I work for IHC (actually SelectHealth, the insurance provider for IHC) and have exhausted all available avenues and resources.  It's an incredible company to work for, but why they haven't realized the long-term benefits of weight-loss surgery is beyond me.  I've decided to self-pay, rather than continue fighting the system.  My RNY surgery is scheduled for July 14th with Dr. Rodrick McKinlay of Rocky Mountain Associated Physicians (www.utahbariatrics.com).  I wish you luck!  Let me know if I can help answer any other questions.  ~Shawnah
YuckyMeds
on 6/6/08 2:09 pm
Thanks so much for your reply.  It's really awful the IHC won't cover this surgery!  Good luck on your surgery (I had mine done on April 28th, and I'm now down 40 pounds - yea!!!)  There have been some real adjustments to make, but it's definately worth it!
smlozano
on 6/6/08 3:57 pm - Riverton, UT
That's phenomenal progress so far - congratulations!  I know it will be worth all of the adjustments that are part of the process.  I do hope one day IHC will come around, even if it's not in time for me to benefit from it.  
brindledanes
on 6/20/08 7:53 am - West Point, UT
I too have Select Health, but just as bad my primary insurance  is PEHP who also doesn't cover this.  I would like to know if anyone here has gotten involved on a legislative basis, I know we lost a year ago in the legislature, but Chris Buttars and Steve Mascaro supposedly plan to reintroduce a bill again.  If we want this to change we really need to band together and fight for it, for everyone who has been denied and is still waiting!
fiveholts714
on 6/30/08 1:14 pm - St. George, UT
I have IHC and PEHP too.  IHC does offer a rider for GBP but it pays on 50%.  Last I knew, no employer had taken them up on this offer. 
Most Active