New to this

newbutterfly84
on 3/31/11 11:00 am - VA
with

I am new to this. I am thinking about having the Gastric Sleeve, but I am very nervous and not sure if I should do it. I was wondering if anyone out there could give me some tips or information about the gastric sleeve. Any information will be very helpful. Thank you :) 

caroline2622
on 4/1/11 1:20 pm - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
I am 2.5 years out and am very happy with my vertical steeve gasterectomy.     I feel for the most part very normal.  Friends with RNY and Band seem to have show issues during eating.  I have minor issues... Dry items I tend to sneeze, otherwise no one has any notice of me at a dinner table,  All surgeries we do not eat and drink at the same time.    The only comment I get now is when I eat out and order a regular meal and do not eat miuch of it.. People think I did not like my meal.  

Please keep in mind all of these WLS's have their issues.  They are only a tool.  We all have to make like changes,  

Not sure where in VA you live.    Check out hospitals of Bariatric of excellance. They have support and informational meet the surgeons.  Do you research ..  It is not just about a good surgeon but a great team of nutrionists, anestestiologist and hospital care team.  

Good luck and keep in touch

lost 140 lbs     

Extended TT 12/072009     Plastic Surgeon Mitchell Krieger                     
newbutterfly84
on 4/1/11 1:34 pm, edited 4/1/11 1:38 pm - VA
with

I am from Bowling Green VA, I had my consultation with Dr. Halmi in the stafford office because it was closer than woodbridge. He told me that he didn't feel I would be happy with the band and that I would be happier with the sleeve. He definetly seems kind and understanding and he is very imformative. I think I am just scared because it is a big change and my family really dont seem to support me with the decision to have WLS ( i think it is because they don't like change and they tell me they know i can do it on my own because i have lost 64lbs before). My husband does support me though, he is with me all of the way. I find that I need structure in my life and a plan to follow and I didn't have that and that is why I gained it back. I feel that the  surgery is the tool i need to succeed in my weight loss goals. Thank you so much for replying :)

caroline2622
on 4/1/11 1:52 pm - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
Interesting   Why not the band?   Do you carrry you weight in the upper gut?    Most Doctors suggest the RNY in order to loose more weight and faster.   In the end you need to decide which way you need to go.    I have friends that have had all of the different surgeries and we all have to work at it.   

It is hard and do understand.   A high percentage of people gain the weight back.  In the end it is about making life changes.  

I have no regrets.  I like being active and getting my life back.   Too bad you are not closer to Fair Oaks Hospital    They have the best program in the area.     Interested if anyone has gone through the Spotslyvania  Hospital. 

Take care

lost 140 lbs     

Extended TT 12/072009     Plastic Surgeon Mitchell Krieger                     
newbutterfly84
on 4/1/11 2:25 pm - VA
with
basically he told me that he didnt feel there would be enough of a weight loss for me with the band that i would benifit from. I will continue to do research though to determine which one I feel is right for me. However, I do take all advice into consideration. I a lot of my weight in my stomach. I like being active, I just can't wait to be able to do more things. I have a friend who has the band, she says she loves it and she is glad she made the decision to have the surgery. she tells me she feels so much better. I also have a friend who had the bypass and always has complications (this is more due to her not listening, at least that is what she tells me). I understand that it is difficult and a lot of people gain their weight back. Thanks again for talking with me
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 885 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2211 views