Hi I'm New! -Hampton Roads Area-

Alicia F.
on 8/1/11 3:36 am
RNY on 04/16/12
Ok, I know it says NC but I spend most of my day in Virginia   I work in Norfolk.

I am starting out this new journey....

I go to my first WLS seminar with Bon Secours' program with Dr. Spencer...

Looking to see what people have to say about him and his practice....  :)

I go to the seminar on the 16th.... I'm anxious but I'm unsure I'll get approval right away since I do not have the minumum requirement of the physician led weight management.... Still being treated for my feet (had surgery in June) and for my back and thats been going on for more than a yr.  Working out isn't or hasn't been an option lately.  Going shopping makes my feet scream within 15-20mins of walking...

just ready to get this officially started and moving :)

Jewel_in_hiding
on 8/1/11 6:47 am - Raleigh, NC
Welcome...

I have only met Dr Spencer one time  (since he is in Portsmouth/Suffolk).  But, I also use Bon Secours (Norfolk).  I have met many of his patients through my support group and they all rave about him.  The Bon Secours program is great will all aspects of the surgery from pre-op and insurance approval to post-op care. 

Good luck on getting your insurance approval.  I also didnt have the requird physician led weight mgmt program.  However, once that was completed, my approval went quickly.
Top is my progress, Bottom is to Surgeon's Goal

MissJoi4u
on 9/13/11 2:36 am - Hampton, VA
Hi, I am a newbbie, and  hopin to have WLS. I have attebde the seminar at Bons Secour, and it was great!, I have an appt with Dr. Spencer next week. I have turned in my PCP referral, as well as an approval for 3 visits to see his office. Can you please tell me what can I expect during my consultation with Dr. Spencer.  Joi
SleeveRockn Chic
on 8/30/11 8:00 am
 Hi, I went through the same group also but my Dr. was dr. Adams.  Had my surgery Aug. 22 and had the sleeve done.  All in all doing good except some pain from where my stomach was removed.  It's a great program, office and team.  I attend the support group meeting held in VB every 2nd thursday of the month.  I think they have one in Norfolk too if that is easier for you.  I live in VB so easier for me since the one in VB is right down street from where I live.     You should attend and here all the different stories.  This will be my first one since surgery.  Good luck with your journey.  Kerry 

LilySlim Weight loss tickers  
 HW: 365lbs.  SW:353  CW:182.4  GW:160 lbs.
Goal 1: Get under 300 (Reached as of 11/15/2011 299.4 Baby) 
Goal 2- Get under 200 (Reached as of 08/29/2012 199.2 Baby) 
Goal 3- Get to 160

Alicia F.
on 8/30/11 9:54 am
RNY on 04/16/12
Hi Kerry!

Good luck on your new journey! 

I've heard nothing but good stuff about the program.  I sit down with Dr. Spencer one on one on the 6th.  I'm excited!  I think the next support group is on the 8th that i want to attend.  Dont have my folder readily available. Maybe I'll see you there! 

How are things with the VSG? I'm leaning toward the RNY but I'm open to Dr. Spencer's opinion.

SleeveRockn Chic
on 8/31/11 11:17 am
 Things are good so far with VSG just alot of pain on the left side of my tummy.  My dr. says thats cause thats where the 2 insisions are close and that one had my tummy come out and the other had the camera they used during surgery.  Since my preop diet which was a week before surgery I have lost 22lbs. which is good even though I don't see it lol. If I remember from the last support group meeting I don't think Dr. Spencer requires the preop diet so you can eat right up to surgery I believe.   My Dr. did because it helps shrink the liver and makes it easier for them to see what they need to see to do the surgery.  Yeah I will be at the next support group meeting, it will be my first since surgery so I get to wear the blue name tag instead of red lol  Good luck with what you decide, only you know what's best for you.  Kerry

LilySlim Weight loss tickers  
 HW: 365lbs.  SW:353  CW:182.4  GW:160 lbs.
Goal 1: Get under 300 (Reached as of 11/15/2011 299.4 Baby) 
Goal 2- Get under 200 (Reached as of 08/29/2012 199.2 Baby) 
Goal 3- Get to 160

MissJoi4u
on 9/13/11 2:49 am - Hampton, VA
Hello, I am a newbbie to the site. I  also have chosen The BonsSecour Weightloss Center,, and I have a appt with Dr. Spencer next week. Can you give me any insight as to what to expect from my first visit with Dr. Spencer. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks, Joi
MissJoi4u
on 9/13/11 2:42 am - Hampton, VA
 conrats on your surgery!!, I hope everything is going well with you. I am a newbie to the site, and hoping I will be able to have a WLS procedure done sometime this year, of course with insurance approval. Wishing your journey a successful one .Joi
navywife1107
on 9/13/11 5:51 am - VA
I'm new too! I am having a RNY procedure.  13 more days... the countdown in on.  I am definitely feeling closer since yesterday I started my liquid diet.  I am having my procedure done at Ports Naval.  I am excited.
allicole1235
on 9/22/11 11:28 pm - Chesapeake, VA
Dr. Spencer is my Dr. He is great. very straight forward. when I went into my first meeting with him i was alittle nervous but shortly after talking to him i felt more comfortable. he is a bit monotone and very professional but he is straight forward and he answers every question you ask no matter what. He pretty much explains all the surgeries to you and how they would benefit you with your lifstyle, and yall will decide on what your doing and he will answer questions. after that he takes you to his schedular and you schedule your nutrition appts, etc. so you can get approval from insurance. I am on the last part of my appts to get my surgery date so my last nutrition appt is oct 11 th and then i get my date for RNY!!! You will like Dr. Spencer and good luck with everything!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 894 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2215 views