Praying for a miracle - PLEASE provide any support you can, God bless you all!!

Shannon_nicole
on 12/19/05 9:02 am - Carrollton, VA
Alright, so I finally joined the losing side!! Thanks for everybody's well wishes!! My surgery went fine, and I came home on Friday afternoon. I am feeling pretty great, other than mentally. I guess, now is where the overwhelming feeling starts to set in. Today started out great, and quickly turned into a DOWN day. I broke down and cried tonight, and I'm praying to God each step of the way... now I'm desperately asking for your support, encouragement, and PRAYERS. I am only able to get in just over half of a day's of the minimal amount fluid required. *But I'm working on it. But most importantly - Nothing seems to be appealing to me as far as foods I can have during this stage. I've tried scrambled eggs, boiled eggs with JUST a touch of light mayo, Deli Chicken breast, Turkey Breast with a little mustard, and cottage cheese. I only got in about 1/2 an ounce, and to think of them now.... makes me nauseous. *It's hard to eat the same thing twice. And I hated tuna fish before surgery. I'm seeking any other soft food, high protein food suggestions that fall into the 3-gram rule that anybody may have. And my other issues are the PROTIEN Supplements. OMG, I have tried the Nectar products, and ewwwwwww ewwwww ewwwww, I don't care for them at all. I have some other sample packs from Smart Forme and such... but I need to be getting some PROTIEN as soon as possible. Any suggestions? I'm 5 days post-op and I feel like I'm sooooooo behind the ball. It's so depressing. I've done so well with everything else. Your support is sooooooo very much appreciated. God Bless you all, .·:*:·..·:*¨¨*:·. Shannon .·:*¨¨*:·..·:*:·.
DawnVA
on 12/19/05 9:29 am - VA
Shannon, sweetie, first of all, take a cleansing breath and calm down! You have done an amazing thing so sit back and take a moment to soak it all in. The last thing you need to be doing now is stressing yourself out. For now, do not concern yourself with protein. At post-op day 5, my biggest meal was 1/2 of a sugar-free popsicle. For now, sip on water all day. Intersperse that with s/f foods like applesauce, baby food, maybe some refried beans (reeeeeeeally thin if you can tolerate them), low-sugar oatmeal (again, reeeeeeally thin), s/f popsicles, s/f jello and maybe s/f pudding. Eggs, mayo and turkey? GAG! I didn't even want to think about that stuff til a month or more out. Some people came right out of the hospital eating chewable foods, but my doctor gave me a strict menu and what day to eat what and I felt great then and I feel great now...minus 82 lbs at 6 months. Mine is just one experience of course, but PLEASE cut yourself some slack girlie! You're doing great...just do some walking, get your water in and take it one day at a time. The protein will come. And I hated Nectar too...just try something else...there's 1,000 drinks out there. Dawn
A10sFrau
on 12/19/05 10:48 am - Rockbridge Co., VA
My doctor requires full liquids for two weeks and then pureed food for two weeks before starting soft foods. If your soft foods are bothering you try backing down to full liquids. Anything would be better than nothing. Lois
kammcdonald
on 12/19/05 12:41 pm - Norfolk, VA
Dear Shannon, WLS is definitely overwhelming at times, and many women who have had it, do get emotional at times. During my first week home, I was saying "good-bye" to my daughter, who I wasn't going to see for a month, and I remember that I bursted out crying. I told her not to mind me, and that my tears were just a symptom of this surgery. Then, we both laughed.....but my tears continued to drain out of me!! With all that said, I think it would benefit you if you acknowledged that you may tear up on occasion, and, that you just have to keep on pluggin' with your liquid and protein requirements the best you can. "The best" is all anyone can ask of us. I am, however, surprised that you are trying to eat so many foods, that many of us don't even attempt until a month or more out. Perhaps if you concentrated on lighter foods, you would enjoy drinking/eating more, and maybe you'd get closer to your goals. Just a thought. As far as the protein goes, I use unflavored Unjury (completely tasteless) in soups and in Cream of Wheat, and that helps me get my protein. Good luck to you, and remember that you aren't alone in this.....this board is filled with post-ops who know what you are going through.....and most would love to help you, in any way they can!!! *Kam*
TammyNVA
on 12/19/05 12:42 pm - Chesterfield, VA
Shannon, First, I'm prayin' for ya right now sister... I'm three weeks post-op and I'm not eating any of that stuff you are mentioning yet. My favorite foods: Light N Fit yogurt smoothie (by Dannon,) fat-free refried beans, cream of wheat (made by the directions for babies with milk,) and POWER PUDDING (my own name for sf pudding made with skim milk with a scoop of whey protein powder added.) The first two weeks I was pretty much a sugar-free Carnation Instant Breakfast (skim milk plus 1/3c powdered milk added) sipper... with a pudding or sf popsicle thrown in. Also, I really like the Profect protein beverage (UBID.com... no sugar or fat, 25g protein.) Try some Crystal Light to help with the fluid intake. I was having a hard time on jus****er, but much easier with the Crystal light. No matter what, just remember, this is only for now and keep your eye on the BIG picture!!! You can do it! Good luck!! Tammy
(deactivated member)
on 12/19/05 5:39 pm - I Do Believe .. I Do I Do .., VA
Shannon , Welcome to the loosing side . First let me tell you that this entire journey can be a rollercoaster of emotions . And yes .. you need to just chill baby doll .. When I read you where trying to eat deli meats I got a little concerend . First .. your new pouch is so very raw... still so new .. And I am not telling you to forgo your doctors plan .. but Dr. Hutcher had us on liquids and really pureed foods for 2 weeks .. I would try broth .. and add some tasteless protein to it .. or applesauce .. w tasteless protein .. Have you tried carnation instant breakfast mix .. Sugar free .. with skim milk ? Nectar is not for everyone .. I love it .. but some do not .. but there are tons of protien powders out there .. and you know how radical I can be about protein LOL .. I have some websites I can send you where you can shop on line .. even get free samples .. Email me and I will send them to you . Right now you need to concentrate on your fluids .. let your new pouchy heal .. Hugs to you .. congratulations ! Keep me posted ! Nat
Shanana
on 12/19/05 8:21 pm - Altavista, VA
Hey Shannon Nicole!! Give yourself a break girl. You will be ok. I made it thru the first 2 weeks better than after I moved to solid food. I pureed alot of stuff and it went ok except for eggs. Cottage cheese was high protein. I dont like it much so I added sugar free jello powder to make it taste good. Orange is the best. I use Elite By Dymatize protein and like the Cafe mocha the best. Cream soups did well pureed w/ some canned chicken. Mashed potatoes made w/ instant milk to add protein. SF pudding w/ powdered milk for protein. Just some suggestions girly. Hope you are doing better soon. My moods still swing some but I think it is evening out some. SHannon N C.
Jill.M
on 12/20/05 2:01 am - Franklin, VA
You know I am here for you! I will see you tonight with ISOPURE in hand. Just relax! Jill
nickel20132
on 12/20/05 5:20 am - Purcellville, VA
RNY on 10/11/05 with
Don't worry about what your getting in, especially in the first week, with food, I was on a liquid diet for the first week before I moved to solid foods. I have tried all different kinds of protein drinks (my husband is a body builder) but by far the best tasting is Unjury www.unjury.com it is specially made for people that have had this surgery and cancer, etc. It blends easily with water or milk, I use Carb Countdown Milk because it is low in sugar, they also have unflavored which in the first week I mixed with beef broth and sipped on that. Now, I am 10 weeks out and my favorite food is cottage cheese with mandarin oranges, it goes down very smoothly, I also liked refried beans with melted cheese and a bit of fat free sour cream, but I could only eat a few bits, and I couldn't and still can't get in the "required" amount of fluid, but I keep trying and don't beat myself up about it. This early, just do what you can and relax. Have some SF pudding.
Lelandmm
on 12/20/05 7:38 am - Chesapeake, VA
Ok Miss High Strung Shannon! You know you could call a friend once in awhile! You are perfectly normal. Food isn't supposed to be all that appetizing at this point. Its supposed to be way more of a chore than fun at this point. Did you try cottage cheese? I couldn't eat it pre-op, but I had some post op, and after eating so much tuna I was growing gills, I needed a break from the tuna. Don't worry yourself sick with the protein right now, you have 4 weeks before you need to be 100% of everything on that chart. Just keep in mind right now, you need to focus on fluids. We don't need you dehydrating on us and having to go back to Maryview. Just remember, your tastes are going to constantly change. So you may not like scrambled eggs today, but next week they might be your favorite food. Its totally weird like that. Just call me if you need me! I know I work weirdo hours, but I can always adjust! Leland
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 895 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2216 views