Staple Lines

(deactivated member)
on 2/19/12 3:24 pm, edited 2/19/12 3:26 pm - Greater Austin Area
VSG on 02/03/12
Hello there
I am curious about the VBG and staple complications I've been reading about 10-15-20 years later. I understand the staple lines came loose from vomiting? My concern is was the vomiting from the band that was placed? I had the VSG surgery just a couple of weeks ago and I even hear about many VBG patients getting the VSG revision. My concern now is--could the staple lines come loose from the sleeve just like the VBG many years down the road?? I worry about this very much after reading so many staple line problems. Do you guys worry this could happen with the VSG, especially any of you who converted to VSG? My concern is if  with the VBG the staple lines didn't come loose because the band eroded or did something to your stomach and caused involuntary vomiting , then what caused it? It's scary. I wonder if this is a concern that will be something in 15 years for the sleeve that it has been for the VBG. Very scary indeed.
visuos
on 3/18/12 11:39 am
Hello

I had my VBG done in 2000 and now 2012 have serious issues with staple line leakage and excess vomiting.  I have been trying to get approval for a revision now for over 3 years both Cigna and Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield felt that a revision was not in order because I could live the way it was which was very distressing so now I have new insurance company courtesy of new employer so am trying to get approval for revision again so we will see if this company realizes suture line leakage and excessive vomiting is not a normal part of life
Vicki
cinzig
on 3/28/12 1:32 am - GA
hey Vicki, I had my surgery in 9/2007 VBG w/hernia mesh by Dr. Valin .I know what you are going through. It seems if I eat the chicken or fruits I am vomitting with in 15-20 mins with the awful feelings of gagging and fluid/food vomitting. I have found I have to have hot liqids with all my meals.it is great eating small amts but I was still hungry so I picked up the bad habits of eating alot of salad dressing with my salads so that the food would go down. What reall ypissed me off is I could eat a bag of corn cheese puffs ( because they dissolve into empty calories) with no problem. but eat a cup of melon and vomit here I come. I did lose a total of 60 pounds gained back 30 I am 6 ft tall and started at 297lbs sometimes I just don't know what to do. besides that in the last years since 2008 I have had 4 surgeries on my knees from meniscus tearing in both knees. last year I had to have a total knee replacement and am just getting to being almost normal in all my activities. I am 57 yrs old and it seems to always get harder to achieve this weight loss goal. I am not going to give up but it sure would be nice if something could just be a little easier
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gastro-Gastric Fistula after VBG
csingram · 0 replies · 4323 views
VBG revision
okgal50 · 9 replies · 8581 views
sleeve or the switch
Kerri_L_Denter · 1 replies · 8099 views