How do you cook Brown Rice?

jenfreakintastic
on 3/24/11 5:12 am
I love brown rice, I just dont know how to cook it properly. Any suggestions or recipe ideas as well?

Thanks!

Weight lost with VSG surgery:

"To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone." -Reba McEntire

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers     
carabarnes
on 3/24/11 5:18 am
I use the 5 min brown rice and still suck at it. I'll be waiting on the answer to this mysterious rice method with you.

Cara 
current weight 123
I'm 28 and 5'5.

jenfreakintastic
on 3/24/11 5:20 am
Its funny because I have followed the direction on the Jasmine Brown Rice and it always seems to come out hard or burned, lol

"To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone." -Reba McEntire

May D.
on 3/24/11 5:40 am
1 cup of brown rice
2 1/2 cups of water
Optional:  Salt and a little butter

Bring water to a boil, stir in rice, bring to a boil again, stir one more time (to keep from sticking to the bottom of the pan) and lower the flame (medium-low).  Cover and let it cook for about 20-25 minutes, or until there is a little water left in pan.  When this  happens, take off heat, uncover and let sit for about 5-10 minutes to let all the water evaporate.   It should be perfect.

jenfreakintastic
on 3/24/11 5:44 am
Thanks, May!

Sabrina R.
on 3/24/11 5:46 am - CA
You've never had good rice, until you make it in a rice cooker! It comes out moist and yummy! "Try it, you'll like it!"
Kelly-AnneH
on 3/24/11 5:52 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Pour rice into rice cooker. Add water 'til it's enough above the rice that when you stick your finger in 'til it barely touches the rice the water comes to the crease of the first joint. Put on lid and push button. Go do something interesting. Perfect rice every time!

Kelly-Anne

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

pinkypromise93
on 3/24/11 6:08 am
i buy the success boil in a bag, its the brown rice and its done every time ;-) there is like 6 bags in a box and one bag is a good enough for our family of 4, sometimes we have some leftover

Linda B.
on 3/24/11 6:20 am - CA
RICE COOKER! LOL!!!
The only way have ever been able to cook ANY rice. BTW Trader Joes has an awesome pre-cooked brown rice in a plastic bag. I think you may like it.
Linda B

Margo N.
on 3/24/11 7:39 am
Many people don't know this, but you can cook rice (brown or white) the same way you cook pasta - in a big pot of boiling water until tender, then drain. I used to do it this way for rice salad because it keeps it from being sticky as more starch is removed. Of course if you like it sticky, this won't work for you!

The advantage of this method is, it is pretty foolproof, you just cook til it's done, and you won't ever burn it to the bottom of the pot (unless you are REALLY inattentive and let the pot boil dry!)
Margo - Burnaby, British Columbia HW 283 / SW 269 / GW 160 (I'm 5'8")
Check out my blog at http://www.vsggoodlife.com/

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 88 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 301 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 348 views