Is it possible to lose weight to quickly?

SassyItalian
on 3/29/11 2:38 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
Is it possible to lose weight too quickly after VSG?  I was just wondering and didnt know if anyone had discussed this with their doctor. I have always heard that the first 6 months are when you lose the most and are supposed to...

A couple of people had asked me if I was losing too quickly (about 62lbs since the 2nd week in December) ..and I didnt know if that was possible for it to be too quickly. I guess maybe for the sake of skin and muscle it would seem losing slower might be beneficial?  Will it drastically slow down soon?

I lost 10lbs preop
month 1:    -20.5 
month 2:    - 14.5 
month 3:    - 13

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

Jenn H.
on 3/29/11 2:40 am - Portland, OR
Theoretically we're all losing weight too quickly because of the VSG since the body really only should be losing 1-2lbs per week but I know what you mean ;)

Age: 32 | Ht: 6' | HW: 350 | Pre-op: 330 | SW: 311 | CW: 207 | My Blog: vsgjenn.tumblr.com

Monthly loss: 1,-24lb/2,-13lb/3,-11lb/4,-12lb/5,-11lb/6,-14lb/7,-9lb/8,-8lb/9,-7lb/10,-3lb/11,-5lb/12,-10lb/13,-3lb/14,-1

USAF Wife
on 3/29/11 2:44 am
I dropped 80lbs the first 4 months. Surgeon was concerned so I added a few more carbs like from 30gr-50/60gr, but it didn't slow down my loss that much. I was pretty stubborn and well, I didn't want to lose it slow. If someone wants to slow down there weigh loss, it's not difficult to do. I just chose not to slow it down very much.

I don't think losing slow or fast will ultimately determine how the skin rebounds. Genetics are a ***** and so is being fat for years and punishing our skin. My skin has changed, rebounded, reabsorbed so many times since hitting maintenance that I couldn't tell you what the end result will be in 2 more years.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

FatGuyInALittleCoat
on 3/29/11 2:46 am - New Orleans
As long as you're meeting your nutritional requirements... no, you can't lose too quickly.  Take it & run with it... it'll slow down eventually.  I've dropped 7 lbs. or so in the past 5 days for some freaky reason.  You're doing great.  Just keep doing what you're doing.  You smashed your weight loss goal for Hawaii!

Current weight: 170 lbs.

Once I reach goal, this cow will be killed & eaten... 2 ounces at a time.

Total includes 56 lbs. lost on 2-month low carb pre-op diet.  Start date 9/13/10.

SassyItalian
on 3/29/11 2:57 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
Thanks for reminding me about my Hawaii goal. Sometimes I am too hard on myself (my best friend mentioned this morning)  and I forget how far I have come. I weighed 188 this morning and my trip isnt for another 2 weeks so I agree I smashed that 200lb goal!! Whoop!
OldMedic
on 3/29/11 2:52 am - Alvaton, KY
If you are not on a medically supervised diet program, YES, you can lose weight too quickly.  Some people literally starve themselves, without any medical supervision at all.

Hoepfully, everyone here is at least seeing their PCP regularly, and not trying to do this on their own.  You can get yourself into SERIOUS medical problems if you don't get regular blood work done, etc.

The first 6 months thing is a myth.  I (and many others) lost just about the same amount of weight during the 2nd six months as during the first.

It largely depends on how MUCH weight you have to lose.  The more you have to lose, the quicker it will come off in the beginning.  As you begin to approach something reasonably normal, your weight loss will slow way down (largely because it simply doesn't take as many calories to keep the body functioning).

A former Army Medic (1959-1969), Registered Nurse (1969-2000), College Instructor (1984-1989) and a retired Rehabilitation Counselor.  I am also a dual citizen of the USA and Canada.

High Weight 412 lbs.                    Date of Surgery 360.5                                 Present  170 lbs   

jbskaggs
on 3/29/11 3:13 am - holt, MO
 I second that!  You must discuss things with your doctor- but yes you can hurt yourself if you go too fast.  I had a friend who lost his kidneys because he did not pay attention to his body and doctor.

JB

NewDawn50
on 3/29/11 3:19 am

I don't think its just how much you have to lose.  Things like gender, age and heredity all factor in.

I am 50 and post menopausal, and after menopause, weight loss is usually slower.  I have quite a bit to lose, but other than dropping about 24 lbs. in the first two weeks, I'm losing pretty slowly, and no one could work this program harder than I do.  I did have a major 4 week stall after week three, so that set me back, but on average, I lose about 1.5 lbs a week, which puts me at a snail's pace to get this weight off.  I had two pretty good weeks in a row, and it slowed down again to a trickle.  Men usually lose much quickler than women, woe is us.

I'm not really worried about my slow loss, except for the idea that, if it DOES slow down after 6 months, that only gives me another three months to make some real headway before I start slowing down.  If I only lose another 20 lbs or so by then, I will be very upset.

diane S.
on 3/29/11 3:19 am
So long as you are following your doctor's plan and getting in your protein and a proper amount of calories, I wouldn't be too worried. but if you are skimpin protein and not getting at least 600 cal per day plus taking vitamins and calcium and whatever your doc says, then I would be concerned. Follow doc's protein to the letter. Many men lose weight this quickly as do many of the heavyweights and while you are neigther of those, If this is what your body is doing and you are on plan, go with it.

Also, be sure you are getting plenty of water and this is not dehydration. Can't over  emphasize that. And if you are worried about skin and muscle tone, some weight training might be in order. I bet you find your loss rate slows gradually in the next few months. But you will be joining us on the maintenance forum in no time!   Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

diane S.
on 3/29/11 3:21 am
p.s.  I hope you are taking actigal as rapid weight loss can cause gall bladder problems and actigal helps avoid those. I took it and am glad I did.  Ask surgeon if you are not taking it. Diane.

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 363 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 407 views