Anyone work night shift

Momof2Sweeties
on 3/30/11 1:27 am - NJ
I am a nurse, and I work the 7p-730 am shift. I start back to work tonight and I am a little nervous about what to eat, drink during the night. What do I eat in the morning when I come home and right before I go to sleep. Any fellow overnighters out there have any advice for me....thanks,

Shannon

Romy J.
on 3/30/11 1:43 am - Spring, TX
YES... pack EVERYTHING... unless you go out during lunch its self.. and choose the right food at the time... lean high protein...

pack your snacks... i am very mindful of what i pack and i pack extra for options...   but if you pack it.. no worries... just eat when you are supposed to...and you know when that is... because of your schedule...

GOOD luck to you... breakfast.. an egg sounds good to me... !!!
263pre    249SW   218CW   220 short term goal!! 
Next GOAL...  199!!

(deactivated member)
on 3/30/11 2:19 am
I too am a nurse and work night shift and I've been wondering about the same thing and I didn't even have my VSG yet.  I've been pondering how its going to work so thanks for posting this and I hope you get many more responses from fellow nightshifters!

Good luck to you on your journey and good look going back to work.
How long have you been off work since your surgery?  I've been wondering how long I'll need to take off work.  Thanks for any info you can share with me!
Momof2Sweeties
on 3/30/11 6:02 am - NJ
Hi LIsa,

My doc took me out for 4 weeks but it worked out that it's been about 4 1/2 or so.. I will def let you know how my first night back goes, and how I feel tomorrow after I sleep, and any tips and tricks I come up with along the way...

Shannon

Melanie B.
on 3/30/11 2:30 am - Medford, NJ
I work 330-midnight and I have always just adjusted my eating schedule to compensate for my later hours. Breakfast around noon, lunch around 5 and dinner 10ish with some snacks thrown in. So I pack lunch and dinner for at work and usually bring extra snacks and tons of drinks just in case! I don't have kids though so it's easy for me to do my own thing! :P
I am 26, 5'9" and had VSG 11/8/10.

jbskaggs
on 3/30/11 3:01 am - holt, MO
 I believe it KU that did a study if the effects of working nightshift on health- and they found that many people gained more weight on night shift than on day shift.

The reason was activity- night shift workers tended to have less active jobs compared to their day time counterparts and as a result ate more from boredom.  I don't know how this applies to nurses, but I worked night shift for ten years and I tended eat things based on covenience not health. Hot pockets, etc and my health suffered for it.

jb

Danielle K.
on 3/30/11 4:10 am - Evart, MI
 I am a nurse and work the same shift, I'll be going back to work this weekend.  I plan on planning my food intake for the day and taking it all with me.  I would rather take too much than not have enough.  I usually don't eat anything when I get home in the morning, but honestly I'm thinking I'll need to now.  I'll probably plan a snack or small meal for on my way home or right before bed.
HW: 294 SW: 287 Surgery Weight: 271.6 CW: 218.2        

kbl
on 3/30/11 5:20 am - Vail, AZ
 i am a fellow night shift nurse.  i have worked the night shift for 22 years.  i have been back to work now for about three weeks.  i usually take a cheese stick and 1/3 cup of chili or chicken tender.  also i usually take a few almonds.  most days i do not even eat the almonds.  i work in icu and there are days that i am so busy that i swear i am running my ass off.  so it is nice to have something i can grab and eat if i feel the empty feeling.  i find that eating was not an issue at night.  i am busy and i am not hungry so i do not think about food.  just remember to take extra water or other fluids.  i find when i am moving around at night that i am thirsty.  good luck on your first day back.  kelly

Momof2Sweeties
on 3/30/11 6:06 am - NJ
Thank you guys so much for your advice..def taking water and a protein shake..eating dinner before I go and I might take a cheesestick or something like that to boost up..good news is I really don't get hungry, just an occasional twinge or something..well, I will see how it goes..

Shannon

wert
on 3/30/11 12:33 pm - MN
I'm not a nurse and don't work night shifts. But I travel for work. I'll be taking most everything I'll need. I ordered a bunch of stuff from Bariatric Choice.

http://www.bariatricchoice.com/ 

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 129 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 378 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 415 views