Got Me Some Yatco Love...Here's Why

svelteNgorgeous
on 4/1/11 1:36 am, edited 4/1/11 2:20 am
Dr. Edward Yatco has not laid a latex glove covered hand on me yet and I already love this guy. The decision to have VSG was not an easy one for me. My PCP has been trying to persuade me for years to get a Lap Band. In fact in 2008 I completed the entire pre-screening process for the procedure and submitted paperwork to my ins co and it was approved. I couldn't pull the trigger.

I didn't want a foreign body in me and the adjustments etc., etc., etc. That was my reasoning / justification / excuse for not going through with it. And I still feel that way about the band. But the real truth is that I never mentally and emotionally bought in to the fact that I needed outside intervention to solve this problem. I still clung to the belief that I could do this on my own. Theoretically, that's true...in reality (and statistically) it couldn't have been farther from the truth. My fear was that acknowledging this was an admission of lack of self-control and a sign of weakness. Indeed it turned out to be liberating and empowering. I have a problem in my life for which I need professional help to solve. Now with a clear head and definiteness of purpose I can go about analyzing my options and choosing the best one for me.

So at a visit to my PCP in March, just last month now, I decided to take control of this health issue of mine and deal with it permanently. One of my PCP's selling points of the band was that it was reversible. I knew though that I didn't want to do all the work to lose 100 #s only to go ahead and reverse it. So after much research I concluded VSG was the best option for me.

All that was just some background to tell you how I arrived at Dr. Yatco love. As we all know VSG carries a greater risk of complecations than the band. One of the potential complecations is permanent and very undesirable. It is actually the polar opposite of my desired outcome from this...I want to LIVE. So that said I am takiing this very seriously. I interviewed 7 surgeons before settling on Dr. Yatco. All very experienced and respected in the field of bariatric surgery, several at the very top of the profession.

I asked each Dr a prepared list of questions. Everything from # of VSG procedures performed to worst outcome to most common complecations. I asked about bougy size and oversewing and the use of buttress material and the use of a drain and catheter. I wanted to know about pre and post-op care, support and diet. I was obviously interested in the financial aspect of the treatment and what portion of the bills I would be responsible for so I asked these questions of the Drs' financial departments.

Here's what made Dr. Yarco and his staff stand above the pack for me: 

Dr. Yatco is a highly accredited bariatric surgeon and a leader in the field having performed nearly 1000 VSG procedures. Perhaps the most experienced of all the surgeons I interviewed.

In ten years they have never lost a patient.

Lenox Hill hospital is a Center of Excellence.

My wife and I liked Dr. Yatco's demeanor both at the seminar and in our appointment.

He has a humility about him that I find impressive.

He has a great sense of humor and is a real person.

He patiently and carefully answered all my questions. When great detail was called for he provided it.

All the pre-op screening is in house. I met him, the NUT, the psych and scheduled surgery all in the same visit. They run like a well oiled machine. Very professional.

When I was speaking about financial matters with the surgery coordinator by phone there was some messaging back and forth. My VMs were always returned promptly.

Dr Yatco is out-of-network for my insurance yet he happily accepted its reasonable and customary fee schedule.

I am confident I am under the best possible care.

If surgery goes as smoothly as the process has gone so far, as I fully expect it will, I will have a very successful outcome.

God bless Dr. Edward Yatco

(deactivated member)
on 4/1/11 2:30 am
I really admire the thoroughness with which you went about making your decision.  I think too many people just go to the first doctor they find.  That is a bad idea.  I wish you much success in your surgery and I am sure that if you apply the same level dedication to the losing phase and the maintenance phase, you will be very successful.
svelteNgorgeous
on 4/1/11 3:11 am
Thank you, I appreciate your comments. I intend to apply myself fully in every stage of this journey. I am so excited about what the future holds. If I were on the other coast I surely would be going to Dr. Cirangle. You also made a very wise choice.
bigmama3
on 4/1/11 4:03 am

there is a good chance I will be at the hospital with you.  I am tentatively scheduled for surgery on 4/26 with Dr. Roslin.

Good luck!
svelteNgorgeous
on 4/1/11 4:13 am
 Congratulations, you have chosen an excellent surgeon. All best to you. I'll be keepin' an eye out for bigmomma See you on Wednesday walking!
(deactivated member)
on 4/2/11 12:45 pm

HELLO
I WILL BE GOING TO MY FIRST SEMINAR ON APRIL 7TH WITH DR.ROSLINAND FOLLOW UP WITH HIM APRIL 14 ,SEEING THE DIETICIAN SAME DAY .HOPEFULLY MY INSURANCE WILL COVER THEN I GUESS THE WAITING FOR VSG.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 164 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 440 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 461 views