I have a LapBand...when do I know if I should have a revision?

Kathi C.
on 4/1/11 6:03 am - Egg Harbor Township, NJ
I was banded on 08/03/10, 8 months ago. I've struggled to lose 25.6 lbs. and some of those pounds were pre-op liquid diet.

When do I know that the lapband was the wrong choice for me?

I'm so uncomfortable eating. The first bite of everything gets 'stuck'. Is this a lapband thing, or would I experience the same with the sleeve?

I need some words of wisdom and can't find the 'revisions' board.
Be Particular  Self-respect is the most beautiful quality a woman can possess.

Karen M.
on 4/1/11 6:09 am - Rockwall, TX
DS on 12/01/14
Don't wait like I did for 5 years before saying enough is enough. I never had a comfortable meal and had to get dehydrated and in the hospital before I told my surgeon I couldn't do it anymore. I was sleeved on March 14th and haven't had any problems with anything I've put down so far. Good luck!

HW:  268             SW:  268              CW:  230.02             5'5"                   48 yrs old              

(deactivated member)
on 4/1/11 6:10 am - CA
Hi,
I'm only 9 days post-op and am still on liquids, but I had a lapband for almost three years. The first bite would always get stuck with the band, and it would either go down or come up and then I could continue with my meal. I had my revision done in one surgery--band out/VSG in it's place/hernia repaired. So far, I've lost 12 lbs. in 9 days--kinda hard to believe. You will probably find no "band lovers" here--we all revised!! LOL.

I knew the band was the wrong choice when I kept having fills and unfills and could NOT find the elusive "sweet spot." I gained back 30 of the 50lbs. I originally lost.

For me, this surgery has been a more difficult recovery than with the band--others, it's the opposite.

Good Luck!
Zee Starrlite
on 4/1/11 6:11 am
Play around with it much more - in my opinion, if you are not having any harmful issues!  It sounds like you need a little fluid out.  If you have a good follow-op they can do teeny tweaks and see what works for you.

Best,
Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Libralin
on 4/1/11 6:15 am - MorrisCounty, NJ
I had the band from 04 -08....I couldnt deal with it anymore...

But you really just started. I would go to some support groups...Your band may be too tight.

Kathi C.
on 4/1/11 6:16 am - Egg Harbor Township, NJ
If my band is too tight, wouldn't I be losing weight?

Hislady
on 4/1/11 4:15 pm - Vancouver, WA
Nope cause when it is too tight we tend to go for softer more calorie laden foods because they go down easier. In my opinion day 1 is a perfect day for a revision! I hate, loathe and detest my band. In fact I'm having it totally emptied next week, I'd rather be fat and happy than gag and hurt everytime I try to eat. I'm fairly loose but still can't eat the right foods because it gets stuck. I say the sooner you can revise the better!
Ratfinkshell
on 4/1/11 4:21 pm - Fullerton, CA
How much fluid is in your band? I found that you may need a slight "unfill" every once in a while just to hit the sweet spot. I had the band for 4yrs and had to be revised to VSG about 2 weeks ago because it was broken.... I'd say try an unfill and see what happens. I do love the VSG more than the band, but if you've had it for only 8 months you might try and work with it a little more. Don't forget you still have to eat properly and exercise for either of these tools to work to it's full potential

HW:263 SW:236 CW: 163 GW:140-150

Revision to sleeve on 03/15/2011 due to broken band

Kathi C.
on 4/1/11 6:15 am, edited 4/1/11 8:30 am - Egg Harbor Township, NJ
I wouldn't consider a revision, if I were losing weight. I only expected to lose 1 or 2 lbs. a week. But I'm 34 weeks post-op and have struggled to lose the 25 lbs. I've lost so far (and about 8 of those pounds were pre-op!).

I fear that I'll get stuck with a sleeve too.

Does that happen?

MrsClaus09
on 4/1/11 6:32 am
First, I'm very sorry this has happened to you!  And, I know you may not think your weight loss is much....but, it's still a loss...so, congrats on that!

I don't have a lapband so I'm probably not the right person to answer....BUT, for whatever it's worth...
I didn't want a band for the reason that so many people (IRL friends too) who've had the band have complained about the same thing....food seems to get "stuck" or that you get some sort of stuck and uncomfortable feeling.  That was my first reason for not wanting the band.

With the sleeve (and mind you, I am only 2+ weeks out), I have not had a "stuck" feeling at all...not once.  Sure, if I pu**** with too much food/liquids, I get a fullness but no stuck feeling to speak of.  And, I have not read from any vets in my few years on this board that anyone ever has a true "stuck" feeling...not like those who've had the band describe.

Not sure if that info helps but I just wanted to share my experience.  No matter what you decide, I wish you luck.  I happen to love my sleeve thus far...it is a great tool and doing exactly what I had hoped it would!
My journey:   http://abowlfullofjelly.blogspot.com/ w/ March 2011 Sleevers List
"Sleeve Santa Sleeve!"

HW: 309 ~ PreOpW: 306 ~ SW: 293 ~ CW: 184  
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 165 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 441 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 462 views