Am I drinking the wrong fluids?????

gabriella12
on 4/5/11 6:55 am
I had surgery on Friday and I just realized I may be drinking the wrong fluids???? My doc said clear liquids for the first week so I thought, sure...applejuice, broth,jello, tea, that sort of thing.  But now I read that it is supposed to be all sugar free! My apple juice is not sugar free but it goes down fine.  Am I making a mistake?  Will this slow down weight loss? 
KrisJ77
on 4/5/11 6:59 am - TX
Yes...try to stay away from sugary drinks...I'm glad you didn't get sick.  Just an FYI - I didn't start getting "sick" from things until about 6 weeks out.

karen K.
on 4/5/11 7:11 am - NY
VSG on 11/05/07 with
I was very light-headed after surgery so I would dilute juice with water because the sugar made me feel bettter.  I dont think it slowed down my weight loss, you are not eating any food at this point.
starting weight  225/  lowest weight 129/ goal weight 135

(deactivated member)
on 4/5/11 7:26 am
My Dr said the only fruit juices I can drink is unsweetened apple juice, unsweetened cranberry, unsweetened grape.  I tend to stick with unsweetened concord grape/cranberry mix.  I add about a 1/4 cup to a 28 oz container of Propel Zero Berry.
trulovewaits724
on 4/5/11 8:04 am
I wish I could drink apple juice! My guidelines say NO FRUIT JUICE! Clear liquids for me was broth, water, sf jello, sf Popsicles, decaf tee/coffee, and stuff like Crystal Light (low calorie and sugar free)
lbright
on 4/5/11 8:12 am - MI
I was able to drink apple juice diluted with water... Half juice half water.

angela07
on 4/5/11 9:56 am
It shouldnt stop your weight lose. I have been drinking apple juice because i feel weak at times so i have a couple of sips to get me up. But if anything, just mix it with water and you should be fine.

KathyA999
on 4/5/11 10:05 am
You're so early out, the main objective at this point is to get liquids in, pretty much any that you can tolerate.  The sugar in your apple juice won't hurt you at this point, but when you transition to regular food, you'll want to switch to unsweetened juices and SF liquids. 

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Mary R.
on 4/5/11 10:58 am - OH
 I was allowed drinking 100% fruit juice but 6oz was my limit and I had to mix it half water and half juice
"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time" 
"Get busy living, or get busy dying" 

Cheryl S.
on 4/5/11 11:51 am - Montpelier, VA
My doc said I could do no sugar added if I cut in half with water.  I was only supposed to have 4oz max (8oz w/ water added) per day.  It was quite a refresher for me!  It has a higher calorie count than the other stuff you are supposed to drink, so just be careful!  Good luck!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 392 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 423 views