Protected carbs- what does that mean?

jbskaggs
on 4/8/11 12:30 pm - holt, MO
 I was looking at low carb pastas and I notced the carb amount was the same as regular pasta- but the low carb said that most of it's carbs were protected carbs so that digestable carbs was 5 carbs per serving.

What is a protected carb?

USAF Wife
on 4/8/11 12:32 pm
Net carbs is the only thing that comes to mind. Meaning the fiber count per serving makes the carbs undigested. I was not a net carb counter during my losing phase, a carb is a carb is a carb for me.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

(deactivated member)
on 4/8/11 12:35 pm
VSG on 03/14/11 with
Did you limit carbs tho and if so, how much?
USAF Wife
on 4/8/11 12:39 pm
Through my losing phase, yes, I limited my carbs to no more than 30gr per day, some days I probably got in around 40gr, but it was never more than that until I got to goal was getting into maintenance.

I currently do not restrict any foods. I live a life of extreme moderation, and enjoy all foods even the heavily forbidden white carbs. For me, I am not sensitive to them in maintenance so I don't have to avoid them. I don't eat huge portions of white carbs, but I do enjoy them.

It's just what works for me. I never experienced a true stall in the first 6.5 months. Not once did I go a week without losing weight until I was just a few pounds from goal and I went about 10 days, and then BAM woke up and below goal by 2 pounds.

(deactivated member)
on 4/8/11 12:43 pm
VSG on 03/14/11 with
Thanks for the info! And congrats on the babe
(deactivated member)
on 4/8/11 2:01 pm - Germantown, MD
 I don't count net carbs either and keep my carbs below 40 grams a day (my program allows up to 50, I do better lower than that). I don't eat pasta, rice, potatoes or bread. 
NewDawn50
on 4/8/11 1:39 pm
Tiffany, I WISH I could lose as easily as you, lol!  But, I have to admit, you seemed very dogged during your losing phase, and I congratulate you on the no more than 30 carbs daily.  I try to keep as low as possib,e.  I've been striving for 40 per day and make it most days but, as I get all my protein from food because the shakes made me sick, I find it harder to do.  One day recently I hit 50 carbs and was pissed, so I'm trying to plan my meals more carefully.  I'm convinced really low carb gets weight off faster, so I'm going to try and lower it more.

Are you going to want to know the sex of the baby?

USAF Wife
on 4/9/11 4:50 am
I just wasn't willing to eat carbs. My multi had 2gr of carbs per serving, and that =4gr a day, yep I counted those carbs too. I promise my menu was extremely boring, and lacked a lot because I was so hellbent on not eating carbs. But, I also knew I was going lose the fastest doing it low carb. I also think the lack of any metabolic issues really helped with my losing. I drank tons of fluids too so I spent A LOT of time in the potty.

As for the gender, yeppers, we're finding out asap. Mother's intuition and every wives tale, gender predictor says BOY, and I'm hoping for a boy. This will be my last pregnancy and I will have a tubal while they're in there for a repeat, scheduled c-section. I never want to endure TTC again, EVER. It was brutal on my marriage, and my own mental health. Plus, I'll 35 soon, and the title "advanced maternal age" has already been stamped on my file, and it kind of creeped me out. I'm way too high risk with to even consider another pregnancy. Plus, I have an almost 13 year old son, so we're literally starting over. By the time, we get C graduated, we'll be putting Sprout in kindergarten. . . My husband is 6yrs my junior, and this is his first biological child. If it weren't for the fact that he has zero children, and he really wanted a baby, I would have never agreed to get pregnant to begin with. But, I am grateful that we have been blessed with a pregnancy, and pray that things continue to progress as normal and smoothly as the last 10 weeks have gone.

(deactivated member)
on 4/8/11 1:59 pm - Germantown, MD
 According to the Dreamfield's site: Dreamfields’ patent-pending recipe and manufacturing process protects all but 5 grams of the carbohydrates per serving from being digested and therefore lessens post-meal blood glucose rise as compared to traditional pasta.

And they said this: Protected Carbohydrates: Carbohydrates that normally would be digested but are not digested due to a physical limitation. The added fiber and protein blend in Dreamfields creates a protective barrier to reduce the starch digestion in the small intestine. When the unabsorbed or protected starch reaches the colon and is fermented it provides many of the same benefits as fiber. 

http://www.dreamfieldsfoods.com/pasta-nutrition.html
jbskaggs
on 4/8/11 2:35 pm - holt, MO
 Thank you Jeanette!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 70 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 262 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 325 views