Newbie! Excited to start my new life!

monprimag
on 4/11/11 6:59 am
Hi everyone! I've been lurking around this site for over a month now but never got around to ever making an introduction post. Here it goes!

My name is Monica. I am 21 years old and have been overweight my entire life. I've literally been on a "diet" since I was about 6 years old. I remember going to birthday parties as a kid and being in tears because my mom wouldn't let me have cake and ice cream like the rest of the kids. I've done every single diet you can think of. Everything from WW to the infamous fad diets--I've done it ALL. I would lose 20-30 pounds at a time but would gain 40 back. Story of my life.

I was always in denial about my weight. I am pretty proportioned so I learned to hide my weight EXTREMELY well. By the time my senior year of high school rolled around, I weighed 235--but in my head I LOOKED 170ish, so that made it okay. I hardly ever weighed myself so whenever I did, 15 pounds were always added on.

I finally decided to fess up and joined WW again for the umpteenth time last January, weighing in at my heaviest, 296. I lost about 30 pounds from January to April. I stop going to the meetings because I moved from Los Angeles to New York City during the Summer for school, and since then I've gained about 20 of those pounds back. I've recently found myself turning into a hermit. I'm completely ashamed of my weight and the only times I leave my place is to go to school and for errands.

My mother is also overweight and has co-morbidities. Last October she decided to have the VSG done in Mexico. Since then, she's lost about 55 pounds and IS SOOO HAPPY! She's an entirely different person. She has so much energy and the arthritis in her knees has gotten much better.

When I went home for my spring break, I made my decision to have my VSG done this Summer as well. I will be graduating from college this May and I'm probably the only person I know who hasn't lived "the college life" because of how my weight has taken a drastic toll on me. I've never been to a bar, club, party, etc etc. Just like my signature says, I'm ready to STOP existing and START living! My life has been on pause for far too long now.

I have no co-morbidities, but I see this as a way as getting ahead of the game and PREVENTING those things from happening. All I see from everyone is here is the regret of not doing is sooner--so why not start now?

Can't wait to share my success with the rest of you! Save a spot for me on the losers bench, everyone!

HW: 299 SW: 282 (17lbs lost during 2 week pre-op diet) GW:150
anninva
on 4/11/11 7:07 am - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with
Welcome!!!! glad you've got your surgery scheduled and that you've got a good model in your mom -- you really do sound like you're ready to start living!!! May will be here before you know it. keep us posted on how things are going!

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

monprimag
on 4/11/11 7:16 am
Thanks! And congrats on your success! You're doing great!

Chino67
on 4/11/11 7:10 am - Canada
Hi Monica! I have just joined this sit today too. I have been working towards having the VSG for about a year now and I am finally having it done this Friday. Eeeek! I am from Canada and it is crazy expensive here to have it done, so I am going to mexico to have it preformed. I can toally relate to your story and feel like I have been in hidding and missing so much of my life because I am ashamed. But finally the 1st day of living is almost here!
When are you planning on having the procedure? Or have you already had it done?

Cheers
Heidi
monprimag
on 4/11/11 7:18 am
Hi, Heidi! We're getting our surgery done with the same doctor! I'm getting it done with Almanza as well, but not until June 9th. Good luck with your surgery! My mom did hers last October with Almanza as well and she had a great experience. :]

cjpenn728
on 4/11/11 7:11 am - LA
Welcome! I'm a newbie too but it sounds like we have alot of things in common! I have always been bigger but thought I was alot smaller and even saw that in the mirror until one day after a comment from my inlaws. Needless to say it was a rude awakening. Anyways- I'm about a week post op and doing pretty good. So far lost 15lbs so I am excited! I would like to add you as a friend. Good luck with all! 

5'4~ HW 274~ SW 268~ GW 150 or less
monprimag
on 4/11/11 7:22 am
Oh my god! I totally understand where you're coming from. I met my boyfriend's parents last August and I was so scared about meeting them because I didn't want them to judge me based on my weight. Everything went fine, until the next day I'm in the car with my boyfriend and he's having a conversation with him mom on speaker. I overheard her saying "You need to put that girl on a diet! Do you not SEE how BIG she is?" I was so upset. Needless to say,  I haven't seen his family since! I refuse to be treated like that again.

And yes! I'll add you as well! Congrats on the weight loss already! Looking forward to losing 15 pounds plus more as well!

cjpenn728
on 4/11/11 8:56 am - LA
I was about 180-190 when I met my husband and his family... we have known each other for 10 years- I have yo yoed and finally hit my height at 278. My husband comes from a family that never really had to work on their weight. I was always the biggest at his family functions which never really bothered me since I felt smaller than I really was. They have never really said anything til lately. My husband had heart surgery for mitrovalve prolapse last year and we were struggling to pay bills and I was unemployed. They offered to pay for all out out of pocket expences for me to have surgery. I had never thought it was possible b/c I thought our ins. didn't cover it but turns out it did. But when the offer was presented it hurt b/c it felt like wow they must think I am really fat. I've always known I was fat but never thought of my self as obese. And all the info I had on surgery was people who were having these surgeries were really obese. Well turns out I was but was just in denile. I was so unaware. Anyways things are better - I have told the close family and they are very excited just haven't told the whole family... it will prolly happen on Easter when I wont be eating the normal BBQ with everyone else. Oh well! Its gonna pay off in the long run! 

5'4~ HW 274~ SW 268~ GW 150 or less
Kristy R.
on 4/11/11 7:11 am - Santa Clara, CA
 Welcome and congrats!  You are right about having regrets about not doing it sooner, it's so true!  Best wishes on your journey!  You have your whole life ahead of you as a healthy person, so exciting!
~Kristy~ VSG 3/29/11 ~ 15 pounds lost pre-op, SW - 240/GW - 150

mylastchance
on 4/11/11 7:13 am
        Welcome to the board and good luck with your journey.  You are lucky to be able to have this available at such a young age. 

I will look forward to seeing updates from you on your progress and we'll all be waiting for you on this side of the fence.

"I COULD HAVE MISSED THE PAIN BUT I'D OF HAD TO MISS THE DANCE"
             I have missed too many dances in my life now it is time to start living
5' 1"

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 128 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 374 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 414 views