Acidity or Hunger?

Libralin
on 4/12/11 12:37 pm - MorrisCounty, NJ
I remember reading that when the upper part of the stomach is removed...the hunger trigger is removed also..Gherlin?....

Is the feeling of an empty stomach...acidity or hunger?  I often feel this after eating yogurt...I feel like I have a hole in my stomach...I dont think this is hunger...Maybe it is? Am I wrong? 

happyjumpy
on 4/12/11 1:50 pm, edited 4/12/11 1:51 pm - santa barbara, CA
i have noticed acidity to mimic hunger, and suggest you try a PPI such as prilosec to see if it changes your experience, for me it helped. we do still produce some ghrelin in our bodies, by the way. it seems the experience of post op hungar varies a LOT between the individual. i only lost my hungar for a few weeks, found it very managable for most the first year, and am just now learning i have to be 'careful' one year out. my ability to eat and my food tolerances have increased a lot over time, but i still can't eat nearly as much as i did pre op nor is my hungar anywhere as severe as pre op.

good luck!
VSG 5/17/10 HW 298 GW 145 CW 143
Kathie 

‎"Shame is the lie someone told you about yourself." Anais Nin  
Libralin
on 4/12/11 2:01 pm - MorrisCounty, NJ
Hi and thank you!  I was on prilosec 5 days preop and almost into my 3rd week post op...Im going to ask the dr tomorrow when I see him whether to continue it..

May D.
on 4/13/11 12:07 am
I've been on prilosec since surgery and I'm almost 2 months out.  My doctor told me your stomach still produces the same amount of acid it did before surgery, and it doesn't hurt to continue taking it.  Also, even though the hunger hormone has been removed, the hunger does come back according to my  nutritionist.  I'm not sure when that will happen.  I am having the same issues as you and I take a PPI every day, sometimes I take a prilosec midday and take a pepcid at night.   
Libralin
on 4/13/11 1:12 am - MorrisCounty, NJ
Thanks to both of you for your responses...Makes sense doesnt it?

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 397 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 426 views