Mom of 20 mo twins! Can DH and I really do this??!!

sandy18
on 4/19/11 6:25 am - FL
Hi,

Dh and I have completed pretty much all of our paperwork and the insurance should give us an approval in a couple of weeks after submittal.  So now the worrying begins...

We have 20 month old twins and we are EXHAUSTED.  Of course, I am sure that our weight has a lot to do with it, but not sleeping is not that great either.  I am actually suffering from back pain because of all the extra carrying and bending over, etc. that comes along with two babies.

Anyway, our insurance will probably change soon and that is why DH and I need to have the surgeries about a month apart.  My main concern is that I have read that people are very tired the first 6 weeks or so, plus you cannot really lift more than 10 pounds for 6 weeks.  My twins are about 24 pounds each and we really dont have anyone that can come live with us to help.

Sooooo...do you think that we can do this?  DH weighs about 380 and I am around 288.  We really want to have this surgery, but are wondering if it might be crazy with the twins.

What do you think?  All opinions will be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
furiosmommy
on 4/19/11 6:30 am - Phoenix, AZ
I think you can totally do it. When I had my surgery my son was 17 months. My Husband worked from home for a couple weeks to help with our son. I was cleared to lift my son after 2 weeks (he's 30lbs), but I was able to lift him and do almost everything for him after 1 week. I just had to take it easy the first couple of weeks. Granted you have twins so it'll be twice the work. Do you have a family member that can come by and help out? Even if it's just a couple of hours a day to help play with and wear out the kids.  I never really got the super tired thing. My energy levels were pretty good during the whole recovery. Hopefully yours will be the same. Good luck, I think you guys will do great!

~ Nikki ~  Loving my rad new life!
VSG 1/4/2011

Lost 150lbs, gained back 50lbs.

Back on track and hope to

compete as a Powerlifter soon!!

Ratfinkshell
on 4/19/11 6:37 am - Fullerton, CA
I have a 15month old, and the Dr. told me when I went home I could pick her up but only if I was sitting and she was in front of me, I couldn't bend over and pick her up basically. I was tired for about a week and a half, once I was able to get the protein, water, and vitamins in I was ok.

Good Luck!

HW:263 SW:236 CW: 163 GW:140-150

Revision to sleeve on 03/15/2011 due to broken band

brighterDayz
on 4/19/11 7:18 am
You can do it, but I would hope you can get some help for a week or so.  I have an 18 month old son and I'm managing well after one week.
cabcab
on 4/19/11 7:51 am
VSG on 01/06/11 with
You guys will find a way to make it work.  It's too important not to.  Once you lose weight you're going to feel so much better and have more energy.  It will be hard at first, but you'll be so glad you did it.  You'll be able to do so much more with your kids!
    HW: 335.  SW: 318.  CW: 161.0.  Height 5'8.  Age 43.

bekahler
on 4/19/11 8:10 am - Parkville, MD
 Often the hardest things in life are those that also bring us the greatest rewards...

You owe to those babies to be the healthiest parents possible.

If will be tough, no doubt..but you will get through it and it will be so so worth it!!

Best of luck on your journey!
"There are no Strangers Here, Only Unmet Friends" ~Helen Keller        

Mommy2Girls
on 4/19/11 8:15 am
I think you CAN do it! It will be hard, but you guys can definitely do this. My hubby and I are also BOTH sleeved. HOwever, due to insurance issues, his sleeve was about 5 months after mine. I actually liked this aspect of it because I was able to be the guinea pig (good!) because I do not work and my hubby works 80 hours a week, so I was able to do all the research and learning first and then show him the way.

I did not suffer from any co-morbidities AND I have been a regular exerciser (continuously!!!) for the last 7 years, so I was not in bad shape, per se (obesity was my only ailment) and I cannot tell you how much BETTER I feel after losing 60lbs. So I can't imagine how much better you will both feel after you starting dropping some lbs. You will have so much more energy to deal with those twins! (My girls are 8 and 10 so we didn't have the picking up issue, I would NOT let that be the issue to deter you...you can figure this out!)

If you want to read more about my experience, I have a blog. The link is in my signature...best of luck to you both!!!
-8lbs lost during the 6 month insurance hoop jumping,
the rest is since surgery.

sandy18
on 4/19/11 8:52 am - FL
 You are all awesome!

This process is really hard and you start questioning every move after a while.  I am so glad that I found this forum and can count on my new OH support!

You are giving me the push I need.

Thanks!
monny2400
on 4/19/11 1:11 pm - Hammond, LA
YES you can do it!!! My twins are just making 6mon and I had my surgery 3 weeks ago. They are not your average twins either mine are 19 and 18lbs. I needed help the first 2 days and I was exhausted for about a week but now I can say I feel just about normal! I don't regret a thing and I paid cash so I could have waited.. Not only do I have the twins I also have a VERY active 5 year old and an 8 year old. My babies hardly sleep the entire night and I NEVER pick them up at the same time but they keep me active and I am just now getting to the point where I'm ready to take them for strolls in the park Im so excited. So far no complications and I love my sleeve..I can't wait for the pounds to start falling off! Like you I was unsure and wondering if I was making  a mistake but I tell you I have made the right decision for me...I hope this helps and God Bless 

one hoop at a time     
Paula622
on 4/19/11 1:55 pm
You'll be fine!  You just have to go in to it as a team and be really supportive of each other.  My advice would be to have you go first because, let's face it, men are whimps.  (Sorry to any guys reading this, but it is true) This way he will still be at 100% when you have your surgery and by the time he goes in a month later you'll be feeling up to picking up his slack while he recovers.  Otherwise, you'd hate to have him still "recovering" too much to help you while you're freshly pre-op.  Many of us have done this with toddlers at home.  It certainly makes things more difficult, but not impossible.  Definitely worth it for what it will give you both and your kids in terms of your new health and energy!

~ Paula
219/185/127/121/119
HW/SW/Original Goal/CW/New Goal 
Post WLS baby, born 11/10/11 and 3/20/14

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 400 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 427 views