Done with education day.. and I like what I heard!

quintons_mommy200

on 4/21/11 7:09 am
So.. I've been completely dreading the liquid diet that I expected to hear I'd have to do pre op.. mostly because I can't stand feeling hungry and I've seen most of you had to do 2 weeks or more..

I went to education day today, and was super excited to learn that I don't have to do liquids at all.. ever.. My surgeons office wants everyone to start tomorrow (they give you today to eat all you want- sort of you "last supper") and cut your portions in half, cut carbs, cut sugar.. basically "diet" like anyone should..

Two weeks before surgery, buckle down and cut out all starches and limit all meals to 1/2 cup total volume and cut out all caffine (they want you shooting for 800 calories a day).

Soooo much more do-able than no food at all for 2 weeks. I am sure I would have survived it somehow, and I am sooo proud of any of you that have had to do it, but I'm glad I don't have to!!

I also get to start purees right away.. day 1 post op will be clear liquids, day 2 pureed food, even before I leave the hospital. That helps a lot with my anxiety I've been feeling about the chances of starving to deal or feeling awful for days and days prior to surgery!

julyxo84
on 4/21/11 7:32 am - Pembroke Pines, FL
 That's awesome. Every surgeon is different. I didn't have to do a liquid diet pre-op either, so yay :)
 [ Hi, I'm stefanie, I'm 28 years old and 5'3'' ]

Ulysses
on 4/21/11 8:56 am

I didn't have to do the liquid pre-op either, but i am doing it anyway.

My dr just requires the day b4 surgery all liquids and nothing from midnight before the sleeve.
I feel pretty good on the pre-op after the 1st few days - i am day 10 of my pre-op and have lost 15 pounds...Had the final pre-op meeting w/my surgeon 2day and he was happy I was doing it...

I just wanted to give myself every advantage (shrink the liver) and get a jump on the weight loss.

J

VSG Surgery on April 26th, 2011
"Get busy living…or get busy dying. That's goddamn right." ~ Red, The Shawshank Redemption   

quintons_mommy200

on 4/21/11 1:41 pm
Before yesterday and this morning, I would have agreed with you totally.. in fact, I even spent yesterday on liquids only. I figured I'd do it every two weeks until surgery for the same reasons.. then.. I was absolutely miserable yesterday.. no amount of liquid made me anywhere near happy.. I figured it was just cause it was the first day and it would get better..

This morning I was up early and in the shower preparing for education day, and I got violently nausiated and ended up throwing up.. Not eating at all seems to be a bad choice for me.

I may give it another go as it gets closer to surgery (which is looking like mid July) but my goal of doing it multiple times went down the drain with my vomit today.. lol

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 134 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views