Help---Bladder infection????????? Not Sure!

sadsailor
on 4/21/11 10:09 pm - san diego, CA
DS on 07/31/15
I had my surgery with Dr. Aceves in Mexico 13 days ago and as of three days ago, I have started getting this lower abdominal pain. Similar to the feeling you get when you hold your urine for a long time. I was traveling for three days I had a long flight and i kept holding my urine until the last minute before I used the bathroom. Now, after I urinate, it feels like I have to urinate again. Similar to a UTI.(not just as bad) I went to see my provider and she tested my urine. It showed high dosage of ketones in it. I explained to her I am on a liquid diet and drinking protein shakes. She told me to come back to see her when the pain increases(military doctor.......go figure)

Because I am in Iraq and so far away from home, I have been very careful and followed the diet strictly to prevent any complications on my part.

I also have not had any bowel movement for about 9 days now.

I am scared now. Any advice
lisa53406
on 4/21/11 10:20 pm - Racine, WI
From a person who has ongoing challenges with UTIs, what I would normally recommend is drinking LOTS of water and drinking cranberry juice too. However, this may be a challenge because of the amount of fluids you can drink. You may want to look for a diet cranberry juice option and add that to your fluid intake. I also have taken Cranberry pills. Its something I won't be able to take after my surgery in the form I currently have it. They may have a liquid, I do not know yet.

Bowels ... I have no input there. Since I haven't had the surgery yet, I do not know if this is common or not.

Remember that you are the expert of your body and if your intuition is saying something is wrong be your own best advocate!

Good Luck,

Lisa
sadsailor
on 4/22/11 6:40 am - san diego, CA
DS on 07/31/15
Thank you. I started on the cranberry today and i hope it helps

cattywompos
on 4/21/11 11:04 pm
I swore I had a bladder infection for about 2 months after surgery, but my doc insisted that I needed to drink more water. He must have been right because it never did get any worse.  I too suggest you really push the water and cranberry juice.  You could even dilute the cranberry juice with water.  Not having a BM for 9 days could be the pressure you are feeling in your abdomen.  Good luck and just really watch it.
 HW-304 / SW- 286 / CW-198.25 / GW-170

sadsailor
on 4/21/11 11:20 pm - san diego, CA
DS on 07/31/15
Thank you. I have drunk about 4 cups of water today. I also drunk a 10 ounce cranberry juice which i diluted with 10 ounce water. I will try to have another one before the day ends. I have always had constipation  in the past and also took green tea to relief my self. I am afraid to do so now.

I have been mixing my protein powder with soy milk so I am also not sure if that is what is causing the severe constipation

Ratfinkshell
on 4/22/11 12:46 am - Fullerton, CA
lots of fluids and moving around should help with the constipation. Cranberry juice should help with the uti if thats what it is. My doc told me after surgery it is normal to go about a week with out a bowel movement because of what you are eatting

HW:263 SW:236 CW: 163 GW:140-150

Revision to sleeve on 03/15/2011 due to broken band

sadsailor
on 4/22/11 6:44 am - san diego, CA
DS on 07/31/15
I pray that it is a UTI and nothing major....I think I am going to start walking on the treadmill on monday....maybe it will help with the BM.....thank you

Carmelita
on 4/22/11 7:00 am - Four Corners, NM
Ok yer in ketosis...understandable at yer stage
yer constipated....BIG problem
DEHYDRATION...bad news!  \

RIGHT NOW...I'd go with  Fleets suppositories or Fleets enema....get UNPLUGGED then

MOM keep it refrigerated if ya can..goes down better ;-)
Miralax
Benefiber
COMPLETE PROBIOTICS!!
Im thinkin uti-like probs from dehydration and Candida overpopulation (yeast)...too many bad bugs not any good bugs....complete probiotics highest number of strains, highest count.  Chase it down with the way more than called for water in the Benefiber. 

Look into a "Candida cleanse"  capsules at a health store 

You can also ONCE try OTC promidium, cystex, azo ,  can't remember the other one...will help w/ symptoms (don't freak if yer pee turns red-orange) just cleanin out the pipes

Were you placed on a PPI by chance after yer surgery?

Anyhow keep on top of fluids, the pain could be associated with bowel (constipation)
Keep us updated...and GO SOLDIER GIRL! 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 389 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views