JUST SLEEVED!!! PROTIEN QUESTION!

Curious1989
on 4/21/11 3:02 am - Garden City, NY
HEY EVERYONE I FINALLY HAD MY SURGERY APRIL 12TH, IM NOT GOING TO LIE IT WASNT AS BAD AS I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE, BUT IT WASNT PAIN FREE. SO FAR AS OF TODAY APRIL 21 (10 DAYS) I HAVE LOST 20 POUNDS. IM SO HAPPY WITH THE RESULTS. I FEEL ENERGETIC MY WOUNDS ARE ALOMST ENTIRELY HEALED AND I IM SO HAPPY I WENT THRU WITH MY CHOICE. I WAS ON A SYRUP PROTIEN CALLED "PROTIENEX" 2 TIMES A DAY 2 TABLE SPOONS AS PER MY DOCTORS ORDER. I DID MY SURGERY OVERSEAS AND NOW THE DOCTOR HAS TOLD ME I CAN BEGIN TAKING IN NORMAL PROTIEN POWDERS, IM ON A 2-3 OZ LIMIT PER MEAL, IM NOT SURE HOW TO GET THE PROTIEN I NEED IN. 30G SEEMS TOO LOW FOR ME HELP!! any suggestions are welcomed ALSO MY DOCTOR HAS HAD ME DRINKING JUICES SUCH AS OJ TROPICANA, IS IT OK OR SHOULD I STAY AWAY I DONT WANT THE SUGAR IN ME.
George B.
on 4/21/11 3:13 am - Miami, FL
Tropicana OJ is almost pure sugar with little to no protein.

There are tons of ready to drink protein shakes and protein powders on the market. Sample some and see which you like best. GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, Costco, Walgreens all carry protein shakes and protein powders.

I used Muscle Milk Light ready to drink protein shakes. It's an 8 oz. serving with 20 grams of protein per serving. I found the shake a little too thick so I would dilute it with water to thin it out. Initially it would take me close to 45 minutes to drink the entire thing but you'll be able to drink faster as time passes.

You should be getting 60-90 grams of protein daily.

Good luck,
George

MN_Mama
on 4/21/11 3:34 am
My program calls for minimum 60 g protein, min 64 oz no calorie liquids, and 3 x 8 oz glasses of skim milk each day plus my vitamins etc.   Juices have so many carbs and calories, I was told that once I was able to start my protein shakes again, to stay away from them.
Glad your Surgery went well.  Happy healing.

johnbertak
on 4/21/11 4:13 am - MD
To "jump start" my day and my protein intake, I follow a suggestion from a friend who lost 165 lbs. last year w/WLS.  I begin each day with an Unjury protein shake - 1 scoop in 8 oz. of 1% milk - that's 28 grams of protein.  Being a bigger person, I did 2 scoops in 8 oz. milk for the first 100 lbs. of weight loss. That's a 48 gram blast of protein to start your day - the rest should be easy. (Don't believe the naysayers who suggest your body can't use that much protein at one time - my dietitian loves the idea, b/c it working so well for me).  Same breakfast every single day except when I'm travelling - boring? Yep - no food decision to make in the a.m. 
Results?  120 lbs. lost  so far - I'll be 5 mos. post-op in a couple of days. (20 lbs. lost pre-op). 
Additional advice:  make food boring and exercise essential.   Good luck.
Pop-Pop

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 290 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 342 views