Exercise

lharris7569
on 4/25/11 3:42 pm - NC
When can I start exercising after surgery? What type?Need feedback!
CLAUDIA_C
on 4/25/11 4:18 pm - CA
you should be walking right after surgery. As for anything else you should wait until your surgeon gives you clearance.
Claudia Corrales                                 
kimshealth
on 4/25/11 9:22 pm - LA
Will walking on treadmill be ok?

CJCC55
on 4/25/11 9:28 pm - Cleveland, TN
perfect

Wishing you all the best, Carol       
count your blessings!!!!   At goal weight.   I am 5 ft 3.    

Elena22
on 4/26/11 12:53 am
I was told not to walk on a treadmill until after I've stopped taking pain meds.  They don't want you loopy using heavy machinery.  Other than that, walking around your yard/garden/neighborhood should be fine.
~ Elena.

cattywompos
on 4/25/11 10:53 pm
I would start with something low key until you are atleast 6 weeks post op.  Walking is a good start.  Right after surgery you will want to walk to prevent blood clots, it is not so much about distance and exercise.  But once you start feeling better and can add exercise adding 30 minutes of exercise to your day is great. I started out slow. At about 2 weeks I started on the treadmill walking for 15 minutes and every week I would add to it. Add time, add speed, add incline.  Do what is comfortable and doable for you.  Even 3 ,10 minute sessions of good hard exercise is as good as 30 minutes consitantly. Good luck!
 HW-304 / SW- 286 / CW-198.25 / GW-170

OldMedic
on 4/26/11 12:33 am - Alvaton, KY
When you can start is between you and your doctor.

I began walking the day of surgery.  And that was, and still is, the only kind of exercise that i did throughout my weight loss.

When I started, I could barely walk (shuffle is more like it) 300 feet, and i would be out of breath.  I walked to my mailbox, had to rest, and then walked back to the house.

I slowly built up to walking 3 miles at a time, at a military marching pace.  Uphill, downhill, on the flats, no change in pace.  I did that (and still do) 3 days a week.

That was all of the exervise I needed.

I am doing some sit ups/crunches now, to tighten my belly muscles.  Other than that, I do no exercise at all.

I HATE exercise!  I do love being at a normal weight though, so I do it!

A former Army Medic (1959-1969), Registered Nurse (1969-2000), College Instructor (1984-1989) and a retired Rehabilitation Counselor.  I am also a dual citizen of the USA and Canada.

High Weight 412 lbs.                    Date of Surgery 360.5                                 Present  170 lbs   

Elena22
on 4/26/11 12:57 am
OldMedic, Your ticker has me fascinated. I'm so glad to see someone over my HW reach goal with the VSG.  When did you get to goal?
~ Elena.

carabarnes
on 4/26/11 1:06 am
I was only allowed to wal****ill I had double foot surgery- then nothing for months...I've only been released to workout for the last two months. I have been doing really good. I do some form everyday. I even got a gym membership. I would start walking and ask your doctor.

Cara 
current weight 123
I'm 28 and 5'5.

MediumSoon
on 4/26/11 1:07 pm - TX
I was cleared to walk right away - and do any/all exercise after 6 weeks. Up until a little after 5 months I still had some (VERY minor) pain doing certain abdominal exercises, but I have been lifting weights and heavy-duty working out since about 8 weeks.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 446 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 466 views