New Goals

Danielle K.
on 4/28/11 5:20 am - Evart, MI
 I feel like I am so "behind"  

I am happy with my weight loss.  I'd be lying if I said I didn't wish there was more but I'm stoked about losing 43lbs in 3 months.  (27 since surgery)  I have been trying diligently to get my water in every day.  Protein really hasn't been an issue.  There have only been a handful of days that I haven't gotten to 60g, but usually I'm higher.  I am starting to struggle with lots of things.  

1. I've stopped taking my vitamins.  I just can't tolerate them. They turn my stomach. 

2. I'm rarely getting 64oz of water in per day.  Honestly I'm probably averaging around 32oz per day.

3.  I feel like my carbs are to high.

4. I feel like my calories are to high.

5. I don't have an excercise routine down yet.  I'm walking a lot with the baby but nothing more strenuous than that.  But sometimes that is pretty strenuous lol

Now this being said, I think I have a plan for all of these....

1. My husband picked up gummie vitamins I can actually tolerate these.  It's a temporary solution.  My surgeon's office recommended using flinstones complete.  These gummies aren't "complete" but I'll be taking extra iron and vit d3 and my b12 so hopefully it'll be ok.  It'll definitely be better than what it has been!

2. Well my water....I have no plan except to focus on this.  Every day.  

3, 4, and 5  I am just not going to worry about.  At least for this week.  I am making a weekly goal to get my vitamins in every day and to get my water in every day.  My eating will stay the same.  (I usually eat Greek Yogurt, Cottage Cheese and Hard Boiled Eggs.  The majority of carbs come from the Greek Yogurt, I eat the fruit on the bottom ones.  I am going to try to eat the Vanilla Yogurt and add sugar free pie filling to cut down the sugars and carbs.)  

So these are my new goals.  I am not going to focus on calories, carbs or excercise.  Just protein, water and vitamins.  Back to basics I suppose.  But I feel like when I started I needed to be able to do all of this stuff from day one and then I couldn't and it kept slipping and slipping.  So that's why I feel so "behind"  all these things I feel I should have gotten by now and I'm just starting now.  But I have a plan and new goals set up.
HW: 294 SW: 287 Surgery Weight: 271.6 CW: 218.2        

MN_Mama
on 4/28/11 6:02 am

Sounds like you have it in your sights.  Goals are good, especially workable, attainable goals, and then re-evaluate. 
I try to have something to sip at hand all the time....at my desk, at my chair, in my car, in my purse, in the bathtub....you get the idea.   Sip, Sip, Sip.  If you don't remember, get a timer.  Every sip, set it for 5 or 10 minutes.  I started remembering just so I didn't have to listen to the bloody thing! 
The water is the most important thing, followed by the protein per my Dr.
Keep on keeping on, and best wishes.

UnRuli
on 4/28/11 6:26 am, edited 4/28/11 6:26 am - Plainwell, MI
 Actually, Dr. Foote (or rather his NUT) usually states that you are to be counting protein #1 and carbs #2 and as long as you are limiting your carbs and getting your protein in you calories will be right about where they need to be.  In the beginning I was getting a lot of my protein from dairy sources and yes those are a bit higher in carbs but it's not as if you're eating bread & pasta so don't worry about it too much.

Water is tough.....especially on a Dr.Foote sleeve as he tends to make them tight (hence the reason we're on liquid & restricted diets for so long).  I'm 9 months out now and I still have to work at getting my water in everyday.  I normally get about 48 - 56 oz in a day but occasionally drop down to 40 oz.  However, in the beginning I was closer to where you are at about 36 oz.  I just try to do the best I can.  I STILL have to sip, but at least now I can occasionally do multiple sip/swallows at one time.

I had a REAL tough time with the chewable vitamins that GHP sells.  They made me want to heave.  I switched over to the Flinstones with iron until I was able to take regular vitamin pills.  Keep taking your vitamins....it really is important (especially in the beginning stages when your diet is limited and you're not getting all your vitamins in with the food you're eating).

As for exercise just do the best you can.  I've been in my final year of art school since my surgery and although I was running 5-6 days a week before my surgery I've had almost NO time to exercise since.  I just finished my last class yesterday and my exit portfolio review today so I'm excited to finally get back to exercising.  To make up for not exercising I was doing what I could by standing to do my paintings and taking the elevator instead of the stairs.  Most important is muscle toning so why not do squats while watching TV or something like that (I would except I haven't had time to watch TV since classes started in August!).

Just keep trying.....you'll do fine!
Danielle K.
on 4/28/11 7:43 am - Evart, MI
 Thanks for your insights and advice.  A lot of my "feelings" such as my carbs and calories being to high come from people on here, stating what they follow.  Most people say they keep their cals around 600.  Mine are up around 800-900/day.  Carbs most people say they are under 30 or 40g.  I usually am lucky if I fall under 50g.  I do manage to average around 75g of protein/day though.  The NUT I saw at 2 weeks post op said, get at least 60g protein/day. Don't worry about calories or carbs. But I tried this and my stall started.  Once I started being aware of my carbs at least the scale started to move again. 

As for the water, I have no restriction when it comes to fluids.  But I am not able to gulp down 8oz of liquid without stopping like I could before surgery.  This I think is more from my hiatal hernia repair not the sleeve.  I do always have water next to me.  My biggest problem comes when I work.  I'm an RN and because we have to eat every couple of hours I don't take a "lunch break" like everyone else.  I'll just pull something out and eat it at the desk while I'm charting (I work nights so I can get away with this, I have no idea how RN's who work days manage)  But I work on a busy floor so it's rare I can sit down and eat 4oz of cottage cheese or greek yogurt in one sitting.  I take a bite here and go do something come back take a couple more.  So you see my difficulty as we can't drink while eat.  I am working on this, but unfortunately the "progress" I'm seeing is I'm slowly being able to drink while eating.  I am not indulging this except when I work.

MediumSoon
on 4/28/11 12:13 pm - TX
You've probably already thought of this, but what about other drinks. I drink between 44-88 ounces of tea/day. Water is not my friend post-sleeve. Just a thought - maybe it will help.

Danielle K.
on 4/29/11 8:38 pm - Evart, MI
I really don't like tea.  Like I hate it lol.  I just have to put my mind to it more.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 102 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 325 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 369 views