Two weeks out...could use some feedback

wildfan
on 4/28/11 2:35 am
I am assuming the vast majority of this is perfectly normal since I am still recovering from surgery, but wanted to check to see with some of the vets.

I don't want to call any of these "problems", but here are the few issues I am having:
1. I'm still on full liquids ****il tonight WHOOHOO!).  Anytime I drink ANYTHING, I get a little funny feeling in my stomach, just for a few seconds.  Its like a gurgling, almost like the liquid is just trickling in.  It doesn't hurt, and doesn't make me feel sick, just kind of uneasy for a moment or two.  Then it goes away until the next sip.  And I can take pretty big gulps too, and no effect on this feeling. 

2. I am EXTREMELY tired.  I have absolutely no energy.  I am taking in around 200-300 calories a day, but only able to get in 25-40 g of protein.  Called the doc yesterday and they said to increase that and it will help.  I also started back on multi-vitamins, vitamin D, and B12 today.  Will all that help?  Hoping to bump up to the 400-500 calories a day now that I can start egg salad, chicken salad, scrambled eggs, pureed meats, etc.

3.  I start mushies today.  Thinking some salmon pureed with a little mayo and maybe a little pickle for dinner.  SO looking forward to that.  But I have this feeling like I am afraid to eat.  Common after drinking all my intake for over a month now?  Any tips?  Do I just take it easy and slow, and stop when I am full?

Any advice, tips, guidance, etc is appreciated.  Overall I am loving my sleeve and the experience has been great.  Little to no nausea, no vomiting, no constipation, everything is pretty much as it was before surgery, aside from the things listed above, and the fact that I get STUFFED on a 1/4 of anything.

jennkitt
on 4/28/11 2:42 am - MI
Sorry, no advice, I am looking forward to answers from others though.  I am only 4 days out, but I am experiencing #1 too, with every sip of every liquid, it isn't too bad, but sometimes that gurgling is followed by a hiccup or burp, and those hurt!
HW: 305, Consult: 285, Day of surg:261

(deactivated member)
on 4/28/11 2:42 am - GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
1 - pretty natural.

2 - major surgery is a ***** on the body man!  I would wait for multis until you have REAL food in your belly, not liquids.  Multis can rip my tum up. Zinc rips my tum up even if I take in the middle of a protein only meal, so watch that.  Are your multi's chewable? They might be better on a fluidy tum, stull. Yes to your B12!! 

3 - I wasnt afraid to eat, but some folks tend to be. Yes to going slow. NO to stopping when you are full.  Measure your stuff out first fella.  Start with one ounce, or 1/8 of a cup, just a tiny bit. Mushies, espy real food mushies (instead of like applesauce) are way different in your tum. 

For me? I started chewing papaya enzymes with meals from mushies forward, it helped me to not have to feel my tum churn the food up.  It didnt hurt, I just wasnt accustomed to feeling my digestion, and not keen on it. I found them at walmart - CHEWABLE being key! :} 

Slow and easy fella!  Welcome to the next step!!
Robin S.
on 4/28/11 2:45 am - Chatsworth, CA
HI and CONGRATS!!   Two weeks and these are your only questions?   I'd say you have done an excellent job.   

From my personal experience - here are MY answers:
1)  Yes the gurggling and feelings you have.  I had them too. 

2)  You had surgery - your body is getting back to its "new normal" so the fatigue is expected.   The protein intake will definitealy help and so will other fluids (water ... dont' forget that too) and your B12.

3)  I was CRAZY excited to eat.  I measured out and ate a few bites ... and threw up.   I know others do well for first meal, I did not.   But ... that being said, my second 'meal'  was fabulous and I've done really well since then (with only a few overeats and throw ups!!)   You may be only able to eat one or two bites.   DON"T force yoursel.   Go back to eat later if one or two bites makes you feel full.     You will know when you are full if you chew.  

I'm a year out next week and could not be happier.   You have so much good stuff to look forward to.  Keep us updated.

I'm Just Robin!
Highest weight 250 - Goal Weight 150 - Current Weight 147
*** Hanging with Weight Watchers now to keep on track ***  
diane S.
on 4/28/11 3:09 am
Hi, these are great questions. Yeah, its normal for a new sleeve to gurgle and act weird even with water. You will be astounded at some of the odd noises you hear. So long as its not painful, i wouldn't worry. it will settle down.

regarding mushies, this is when you will realize the full power of the sleeve. very little will leave you stuffed. My first mushy was a scrambled egg. tasted great. 6 hours later tried another one and could only eat 3 bites. kept eating and barfed it up. lesson learned. the point is that one day you might be able to eat a whole egg or 2 oz of something and the next only a bite or two. its normal and settles down over time.

i liked taking tuna fish and pureeing it to give it a good smooth texture and sometimes put dill pickles in it pureed too. i still like this. eggs, greek yogurt and cottage cheese are all good mushies. chicken will be hard. its dense no matter how much you chew it. i used to cook it and grind it up in food processor and then put a couple spoons of it in chicken broth. went down easier that way. Fish is softer than chicken and seems to go down easier. Don't pu**** And recognize that for awhile you will still need protein drink supplements even though you are on real food. you just can't get enough protein in your itty bitty sleeve for awhile. this was a rude awakening to me as i hated my protein drinks. But even now at 17 months i still use them sometimes as i still get 70 g protein a day and think its important. Don't  let the mushy phase let you think you can slack off on protein. you really need it now more than ever. And be careful about that pickle unless its pureed. you can get the same taste with some pickle juice in your puree. lots of people crave pickle juice! go figure.

So at 17 months and at goal for 6+  i am the world's happiest sleever. As your weight drops off, a whole new world opens up. Enjoy it.  and good luck with your journey and at some point join the vsg maintenance group as this whole thing is a lifelong mission.   Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

(deactivated member)
on 4/28/11 3:25 am, edited 4/28/11 3:27 am - CA
I'm pretty much right where you are so thanks for posting these questions and for the responses. The only difference is I've been getting 70-80 grams of protein a day and I'm still kind of beat.

Also, I have NO interest in food or eating.  Jumping over to mushies and soft foods from liquids is not exciting to me at all and eating/drinking is a total chore.  
KB1964
on 4/28/11 4:28 am
The second week was the worst for me. I had no energy and could not drink enough to stay hydrated. I re-discovered SF popsicles for a few days and this helped considerably with the dehydration. I think most of the tiredness came from being de-hydrated. The good news is by the third week I was able to drink more and my energy level started rebounding. It gets better trust me.

My favorite mushy food was egg salad and tuna salad.

Hope this helps!
emelar
on 4/28/11 4:45 am - TX
1. My sleeve sounded like a waterfall for the first few weeks.  You could hear the liquid cascading from level to level.  Okay, that may be a little extreme, but it sure was noisy and felt funny. 

2. Eating real food, even mushies, will bring your energy levels up.  I felt 100% better the first day I was able to eat food.  And yes, the vitamins will help too!

3.  I think we're all very cautious with that first meal 'cause you just don't know how sleevie is going to react.  My plan went from full liquids to soft foods (skipped the pureed/mushy state) and my first meal was tuna with a little mayo.  Went down fine and stayed down.  Think I only tried about an ounce the first time out.  Just remember to go slow and STOP long enough between bites to see if there's going to be a reaction.  As far as I was concerned, everything after the full liquid stage was a joy and it's only gotten better day by day.

janeld
on 4/28/11 4:54 am
I have to agree

1. had the gurgles and still do sometimes, esp if I drink too soon after eating.

2. mushies went great to for me and helped with the energy. I also have found that I always still have a protein shake a day because I want to make sure I have enough protein.

3. keep up on your vitamins. it makes a HUGE difference. b-12 subligual (though I had to back of a little on that one to every few days because my levels were high). I always notice a difference when I don't take my vitamins. =)

good luck. I have been so happy with my sleeve. =)
msshellwillis
on 4/28/11 5:14 am
I am on the exact same track as you! I am glad you asked all of these questions, and ma thankful for the responses! My stomach has quietened down a little. But, I am definitely tired all the time. I am also only getting in about 35 -45g protein a day. My plan goes from full liquids to gradual mushies. I can have baked fish, tuna, toast, crackers, and pd tomorrow.
Was able to have scrambled eggs yesterday....HAHAHA make that egg(singular)....I cooked two and barely ate one. My plan says to stop eating when I am no longer hungry. Eat til I am satisfied not full.
I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me!

HW (1/1/2011): 382. SW (4/15/2011): 357. CW (03/29/2012): 275.
                                                Sleeved on 4-15-11                

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 266 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views