Vitamins - Cream of the crop

smbergie200
on 5/4/11 6:58 am - Naples, FL
I know this question gets asked a billion times, but there are always new vitamins out so I will ask again.

I'm trying to find a good chewable multivitamin and calicium citrate with magnesium vitamin and have it on hand before I get my surgery.

I have tried a few so far and they taste like poo, and all the "yummy" calcium is the carbonate kind which is not recommended for vsg.

I am looking for a quality supplement. Not a cheap high fructose corn syrup junk vitamin.

Anyone find a good balance between taste and quality. I am going to take these for a lifetime and it would be nice to enjoy them as much as possible.

I assume the ones that taste like candy probably arent the best of quality. I could be wrong.

Anyone have luck finding an awesome quality chewable vitamin and calcium supplement?

Plastics - Extended Tummy Tuck - February 6th 2013

msshellwillis
on 5/4/11 7:00 am
I take and like Vitafusion gummievites, & Caramel Vitacal. Purchased them at Sam's.
I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me!

HW (1/1/2011): 382. SW (4/15/2011): 357. CW (03/29/2012): 275.
                                                Sleeved on 4-15-11                

NoEscape21
on 5/4/11 7:07 am - Apopka, FL
Have you tried the Centrum Silver Chewables? I bought them at walmart after reading lots of posts regarding them.  I tried one out and they were not bad at all! I had gotten a sample back of celebrate's chewable vitamins  and they left a horrible after taste in my mouth

For calcium I bought Citrical Calcium + Vit D petites...didn't find chewables at walmart.
  Unicorns fart rainbows and magic!              HW:272 SW:260 GW:120
 Blog:  Weighed Down: A blog about becoming a former fat girl
Youtube: 
No Escape's Channel Join: The Pin -Up Girls: Vixens in progressLilySlim Weight loss tickers

(deactivated member)
on 5/4/11 7:17 am
I take a liquid multi vitamin that I got from GNC that tastes like tangerine, you only take a tablespoon a day and it's yummy:

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2134035&cp=35 93185

Carmelita
on 5/4/11 8:21 am - Four Corners, NM
Hey Oso...Im always hip to lookin for liquid vits...I gotta cut down on my horse pill multi-vit cuz its got way too much vit. A...which I already get plenty of with my diet.  I used to love Liquid Health Multi Vit....can't find it anymore in my hick town...I checked on yers...cuz we got a GNC here...but have concerns..

The D...is ergocalciferol (plant)...not cholecal (animal..well actually lanolin from sheeps wool lmao!!)...plant is not as good for us bioavailable wise...we gotta get D3...so maybe yer calcium supp has D3 in it I dunno. D3 is a top deficiency for us VSGrs. Hell, top deficiency in the US anyway..people rather drink soda than fortified milk, and don't go outside much anymore since the internet n video games, or since the advent of suncreen F-N us all up!..Best D3 is FREE...its the sunshine vitamin!
I supplement ~20,000 IUs D3 a week now...its a tiny 5,000 IU pill ~5 bucks 2 month supply...Cuttin down since the weather is better n Im outside more.

The B12 is cyanocobalamin not methylcobalamin...its ok but not as good bioavailable/absorbed for us . We lack total intrinsic factor...since our stomachs are altered, B12 requires intrinsic factor to be absorbed. B12 is a top deficiency for us VSGrs...maybe yer supplementin additionally already...like a sublinqual or shots so this may not be a concern. 

I would  keep on with it...but maybe look for another once its done. Keepin in mind the stuff us altered folk gotta get in us.

http://www.evitamins.com/product.asp?pid=944
(deactivated member)
on 5/5/11 1:38 am
Thanks for the review, I still have so much to learn.  I think I am going to continue on with this vitamin because I actually LOVE the flavor of it and because of that I will stick with it, so I am glad you have the link with the cheaper price.  What I may do is look for a calcium suppliment with the D3, like you suggest, and then look into the nasal b12 gel Nascobal.  My docotor also seemed concerned with my B1 in my blood tests, so much so that he had me on IV thiamine right after my surgery.  So I need to do more research on that.  I'm still learning.  Would it be more helpful if I take the liquid twice a day and up to 200%?

With the Lap-Band over the past 3 years I tried to move away from pills as much as possible as taking pills usually meant getting stuck even mildly.   Maybe that will change once my new tummy has had a chance to heal and I may be able to get back to pills again.
julyxo84
on 5/4/11 7:31 am - Pembroke Pines, FL
 I have Centrum Chewable multi-vitamins. They are orange flavored and a little tart, i dont think they taste bad at all.
 [ Hi, I'm stefanie, I'm 28 years old and 5'3'' ]

michellemj
on 5/4/11 7:42 am
I take Centrum chewables for my multi. For calcium, make sure you get calcium citrate. I use both Citracal petites and Bariatric Advantage chews. The BA chews are yummy (I like the lemon) so I use them when I want a treat.

Just stay away from gummies and Flinstones. They don't have enough to be worth anything.

HW: 280; SW: 255; GW1: 150; CW: 155.

USAF Wife
on 5/4/11 7:53 am
I love and have used Celebrate Multis with iron chewables, and their Calcium Citrate Plus 500 which has magnesium and Vit D. Neither of these give me any issues with taste or texture.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

johnbertak
on 5/4/11 10:05 am - MD
EASIEST VITAMIN ROUTINE EVER:
I'm 65, nearing 5+ mos.post-op, and I've lost 125 lbs.  Not too shabby for the old geezer, eh?
I'm not a pill taker, especially since getting off all of my co-morbitiy drugs almost immediately following surgery.
But I needs 'dem vitamims, so  I use the NutraMetrix multi-vitamin & calcium ****tail.  I mix it first thing in the a.m. and, because it's "isotonic" (pre-digested - which sounds gross, but isn't) the absorbtion rate is 95% so, my little 8-oz. ****tail is all I need for the entire day.  
I also do a single sublingual Baratric Advantage B-12 every other day.  The only other pills I take these days are a baby-aspirin and 1 Orso daily for 6 mos. post-op (to prevent gallstones).

The mix is mango-citrus flavored and I think the taste is okay.  But I'm sold on the convenience(8 oz. water and 4 capfuls of the mix; stir, wait 5 min, and drink like juice) - and my lab numbers are perfect since I've been using it.  It sure beats having to remember to take a bunch of pills throughout the day.

For info on price/shipping, etc., Google nutraMetrix and Bariatric Advantage.  Good Luck.   
Pop-Pop

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 367 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 410 views