Water retention

LunaLovegood
on 5/13/11 9:45 am - WA
Does anybody know any natural ways to stop water retention?  I gained 4 pounds of water this week and had the puffy legs to prove it.   I'm trying really hard to eat less than 2000 mg of sodium a day (bye bye cheese) and I drink nearly 100 ounces of water a day.  I've been sleeping with my legs up and I took a diuretic so I lost 5 pounds, but I'm still swollen and I don't want to be on diuretics for long.  Thanks!

Weight: Highest 317, Consult 311, Surgery 292, Current 210.8
Weight lost by month: 22, 13, 11, 8, 6, 5, 5, 6, 3, 0, next update 12/5.    
jamielynn77
on 5/13/11 10:27 am - quincy, IL

This is something I haven't had any trouble with.  But I am thinking 2000 mg of sodium sounds high anyway.  Maybe trying foods that are no salt added, and maybe switching to a mrs. dash style of seasoning would help.  I wouldn't cut out anything that has natural sodium to it, like the cheese.  do your research, there are a couple websites that tell how much of certain nutrients veggies and fruit have. and maybe that would help you with food choices.  Good luck to you and i hope you get this figured out soon!  

Sleeved January 11th by Dr. Salimath in Peoria, Il
Highest weight-312lbs
NanaDebby65
on 5/13/11 10:51 am - North Richland Hills, TX
Luna, I have the same issues!! It's nothing for me to gain 6 lbs within 3 or 4 days. My left ankle/foot swell like crazy!! I would take a diuretic once or twice a month and would easily lose 5-6 lbs. However when I take the diuretic I get very dizzy and feel like I'm going to pass out. Not sure what the deal is with that but I have found the more water I drink, the less fluid I retain. It seems like if I get in 100oz a day then I'm good. Monday I was at 130.4 lbs and this morning I was at 135.0. Been slacking on the water for the past couple of days so I gotta get to drinkin' again. Good Luck!!

Debby
HW: 228/GW: 140/CW: 134    
heathermc44
on 5/13/11 12:58 pm - Bremerton, WA
 Debbie, 
The dizziness you are describing is from the drop in your blood pressure.  Diuretics are used for people with high blood pressure.  I take a diuretic for my blood pressure and when I started to lose weight, they had to adjust the dosage.  

Some things I've heard is to drink warm lemon water.  Asparagus is supposed to help with water retention.  Not sure how accurate these things are but might be a help.  Also, if you are eating a lot of processed or restaurant food then they definately have more sodium then the foods you cook at home.  

PinkGalCalgary
on 5/13/11 5:28 pm - Calgary, Canada
You should get you electrolytes checked as well, just in case. But drink more water, and less salt. I know, easier said than done.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 129 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 381 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 416 views