JTHOMP7889 Home - Sleeved and resting.... OMG what a ride

jthomp7889
on 5/14/11 10:31 pm - Shrewsbury, MA
 Hi everyone, thanks for checking up on me. This is the first time in front of a computer since before the surgery. I got online with my Itouch but you can post anything with that browser.

So I went into this at 7am Thursday morning and by noon I was a total mess. I was the exception to the feeling good after the procedure. I was utterly miserable. The gas pains, stomach wrenching, nausea etc were to much for me to handle. I won't lie, I sat there and sobbed. I was remorseful and regretful and would have given 20 years off my life to turn back time. I didn't want to talk to anyone including my family and daughter, I hated myself and was so depressed. With that said, I think much of this was from the anesthesia. It was not easy flying home yesterday but I got through it.

Today is day 4 and I feel SO much better..  If you were one to not suffer from gas pains please count your blessings. I think they're all gone and my attitude is much happier and have more (not a ton) of energy. 

Thanks EVERYONE for all your support and follow ups. I can tell you I would have never had the confidence to do this without OH members.

Very Sincerely,
Jeff

BuckeyeGirl
on 5/14/11 10:47 pm - TN
Jeff, glad to hear all went well with your surgery, but sorry to hear you had such a rough start to your recovery. The good news is that every day gets better and better from here on out. I had moments of regret here and there throughout the first few weeks, but none since the first month, so hang in there!

For future reference, you can post via the itouch, but you have to change the editor (on the posting screen above the text box) to say "text."

Keep us updated on your progress!
Lindsey

BerniN
on 5/14/11 10:48 pm - TX
 Jeff,
It is encouraging to hear I'm not the only one that went through what you experienced. I had my surgery on May 9 and was beginning to think I was the biggest baby ever! I, too, had lots of nausea, trying to throw up, and pains. My daughter made me get up, wash up, get dressed in something other than a hospital gown and walk. I was miserable! That said, I can assure you that every day does get better!

I am now on post op day #6 and am essentially pain free. Yesterday I walked a total of a mile plus a long trip through walmart. My mood is also improving and I am so happy I can sip these fluids and be full and satisfied. 

Today is the first day the scales have dipped below my pre-surg weight. (I came home with a 14 pound gain from the hospital). That, was also discouraging, but it has to be fluid, and I know the weight will come off. The support of OH members have been great this week and I know I will continue to be a member from now on.

Best wishes on your journey!

meemhull
on 5/14/11 11:15 pm - St Augustine, FL
Jeff,
The great thing is the worst is over! I am glad to hear from you I have been wondering how things went. Welcome back and welcome to the losers bench sleeve brother!

Mike
Follow me on you tubehttp://www.youtube.com/user/meemhull

HIghest weight 308 Apr 4th
Preop weight    292  Apr 20th
Crunchy As Can Be
on 5/15/11 12:04 am - NY
Contrary to what some may post, this is NOT an easy surgery (no surgery is, for God's sake!), it's a major abdominal operation and it comes with all of the risks and post-op complications (major as well as minor) that are out there...

That being said, what you experienced is totally normal-- for you. The people who have an easy recovery postoperatively experence what is normal for them... and we are all different.

I'm glad that things are looking up for you and that each day is getting better and better-- keep up the great work and the good attitude-- you can do it!
 ~~Emily~~

jimbovsg
on 5/15/11 12:52 am
Jeff....sorry to hear you had a "rough" start.  You will be lovin' you sleeve before ya know it!  Rest up....drink....walk.  Good luck! 

JIMBO...  350lbs! lost!.....  TRIPLE CENTURY CLUB!!  HELL ...YEAH!  
MY  VSG......KICKS ASS!                                                                                                                                                                                      

I  am   6' 2"    

Carmelita
on 5/15/11 1:07 am - Four Corners, NM
WELCOME TO THE LOSER'S BENCH JEFF!!   How bout that ...ya MADE IT!!

Worst is almost over....them 2 weeks liquid diet n pre-op jitters....and that 1st week recovery.

Some friendly reminders ; -0

ya know the drill!!  walk sip, fart, rest....walk sip fart rest....

NO goin to the hospital with dehydration! YOU've been told!!

Watch that bendin n movin too fast overdoin thangs...yer RAW!! yer brain needs to make them adjustments...tell it to slow down! 

Pain meds at ONSET...not after the fact...no machoism allowed the first week!

Get as many of those pedilyte popscicles in ya!!  soni**** or SF popscicles (not as good but what the hay!!)  REALLY A MUST!!  Count as water too!

Walking is A MUST!!  a little bit further every day....

Stay away from peeps cookin ...the smells ^^^  gastric acid....same for stayin away from the Food Network Channel for awhile!!  Watch Mike Holmes on Homes...or Dancing with the Stars...lmao!

in a few days...IF yer into it....good time to TAKE yer measurements, yer IV bloat should be leavin.......I say us gals to do it head to toe...inc. foot width.   But you do what ya want...some say you guys grow a few inches...as yer losin a few inches...now I dunno if ya wanna measure Stanley too  but....those numbers are gonna be important to ya....especially when hittin them stalls....so REMEASURE and record...EVERY MONTH!!  
didim62
on 5/15/11 5:39 am - Kensington, CT
Carmelita,

I love your posts!!  Not only are they informative but you always make me laugh!! 
Didi ..... Sleeved and living my NEW LIFE!!!!

Highest WT 381   Surgery WT (367.8)    Current WT 236
mirandainmn
on 5/15/11 1:15 am - MN
Hey Jeff, I was sleeved the same day as you were and can relate to your feelings.  The naseau, the gas pains, etc.  I would've given anything that first day to undo the surgery I just had done.  I'm feeling better today, having trouble getting water in, but i'm working on it, it's a process that I expect to get better at every day.  I'm sorry to hear you had a rough time at the onset, I feel for ya and hope you feel better very quickly
MrsClaus09
on 5/15/11 1:19 am

Oh Jeff, so sorry to hear that you had a rought time.  But, I'm pleased to hear things are looking up and that you're feeling better!  Give yourself time - rest, do your breathing exercises and take things one day at a time.  I promise things will get better and you'll eventually be thankful for your sleeve!  

My journey:   http://abowlfullofjelly.blogspot.com/ w/ March 2011 Sleevers List
"Sleeve Santa Sleeve!"

HW: 309 ~ PreOpW: 306 ~ SW: 293 ~ CW: 184  
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 287 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 338 views