I signed up for a 5-K, holla!

therese50
on 5/28/11 9:51 am - Lansing, MI
Okay, well I'm only half way to goal, but I'm determined to do this 5-K even if my sorry ass is the last one over the finish line.  It's next Sunday and I'm feeling excited.  Last year at this time I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without feeling like I was having a heart attack, and now I'm walking 2 miles at a time.  The 5-K will be a stretch for me, but I'm wanting it so bad.  Wish me luck!

michellejoy
on 5/28/11 10:07 am
VSG on 01/18/11 with
Congrats!!! I just finsihed my 1st 5k race last week. It was amazing!! Training now for a 10k next month. Keep up the great work!!
MichelleJoy - Thank you Dr. Alvarez!     
jengo1971
on 5/28/11 11:12 am
The best of luck to you!  I started exercising about 2 1/2 months ago and can now walk/run 2 miles in about 29 1/2 minutes. I thought I was "busting but" until my SIL informed me she was able to run 2 miles in 7 minutes!  Quick question...how do you "train" for a 5-k?  Thanks and again good luck.  Hugs.....Jennifer

hi there.  pleased to meet you.  ~jennifer                        
Krazydoglady
on 5/28/11 12:53 pm - FL
I presume she meant 17 minutes, 8 1/2 minute mile, or else she's setting world records for sub-4 miniut miles, lol. I would look at the Couch-to-5K program if you've never trained for a race.  I'm training for a 5K adventure/mud run with obstacles, fire, etc., in November.  I could do a 5K on the flat right now (if slowly, probably 40 minutes or so), but I don't have the upper body strength to climb, crawl, etc. 

Generally to improve performance alternate fast or fast interval days (to push your cardiovascular fitness)  with long slow days to build stamina and help you mentally adjust to running distance.  Make sure to give yourself time to recover, and it's really important to get protein in after you run. 

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 270 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views