VSG + benzodiazepine / withdrawal / melatonin

thethinme
on 6/9/11 9:20 am - NY
So I just found out the medication I have been taking for 2 years since a traumatic event is highly addictive and the withdrawal is hell. I have been taking the generic for Klonopin for 2 years now and as I decided I should stop taking it, I started reading about the withdrawal (which I have been trying to do for 2 weeks now) and it seems really overwhelming. The insomnia is terrible and I also seem to be more fatigued than before. I ended up taking melatonin so I can at least sleep and function, go to work etc.

Has anyone who had VSG go through this? I wonder if because of the surgery I am having more side effects that are related to fatigue, etc. Also it's been hard not to crave carbs lately...

Would appreciate any comment from people who used to take benzos (there are several medications that are benzos: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_benzodiazepines ) If you never took it I beg you to never try! They give you an emotional fog and you don't even notice it, even if you take it for years.

SW 215=98 | GW 137=62 | CW: 116 lbs = 52.5 kg | 5'4 | lost: 99 lbs=45 kg | goal: 7-9 mo.

cdepietro
on 6/9/11 9:24 am
I do not have my sleeve yet I had the band removed 1o weeks ago and about 6 weeks ago decided to stop taking Paxil and seroquel which I was on for a year bad idea. I was so sick and for 3 days had no idea it was withdrwal I never had one before. I was dizzy eyes twitching nausea couldnt sleep at all. I was so sick but I am glad it is over and will never allow anybody to keep meon anything addictive like that again. Good Luck...
(deactivated member)
on 6/9/11 9:25 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Sorry babygirl, I know a lot of the facilities I do work for also use Benadryl as well as melatonin.

Take care of you, I am sorry that you are so weary and its creating havoc!
Darrick Lund
on 6/9/11 9:32 am - MI
Revision on 01/14/14
 To answer your question all Benzodiazpines are addictive and have bad side effects as well as withdraw symptoms, You need to graduly reduce the medication. Klonipin is strong an will throw you for a loop.  Speak to  your PCP about this because it can cause issues.

thethinme
on 6/9/11 9:40 am - NY
thanks Darrick, funny thing is I actually did speak with her but it seems she was not into helping me withdraw correctly (she is not the one who prescribed it to me and actually she told me I should not take them). then I read online that most doctors don't know how to withdraw correctly and don't guide patients.

ah this is crazy as I think it must be one of the most prescribed drugs together with anti depressants. I feel betrayed for not having been informed of the risks and withdrawal hell :/
thethinme
on 6/9/11 9:37 am - NY
thanks cdepietro and brandi. benzo withdrawal is hell compared to anything I went through in life. I've been nauseated as well. same here - will never take any medication without doing a thorough research before... I feel so stupid for trusting my (former) shrink.

Brandi, so good to see you here again! please don't leave us ever. what kind of work you do if I may ask? I am using melatonin for the first time and it is working great. I suspect though that it is making me sleepy during the day. I bought Benadryl as well just in case I need it one night but I have a tendency to get dry eyes easily so I avoid taking it. but be sure I will if the melatonin stops working!

I am planning on finding natural strategies for my anxiety tendencies so I can stop taking any medicine to help me sleep / lower stress and anxiety.

I wonder if the combination of being in benzo withdrawal and being a VSG post-op is really bad.
(deactivated member)
on 6/9/11 9:56 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Sweet gurl, never again, I promise.

I do medical transcription for emergency rooms, short-term and long-term psychiatric facilities, residential facilities for adults, youth, and children with psychiatric issues.  Those folks are on such a blend of medication ****tails just to try and help them to function.  :[

I think that you probably have hormones running rampant PLUS the benzodiazepine withdrawal and no, that's not a pretty combo platter. 

Do not feel stupid for trusting someone someone who was supposed to be being helpful, its just another one of those signs that we *really* have to advocate for ourselves much more than we ever did before.

I take melatonin to make sure that the 6 hours I get are good, I tend to have have middle insomnia, instead of onset insomnia, so I would fall asleep and then wake up and fall back asleep an hour before I needed to wake up!  Frustrating.

Melatonin really helps me sleep through the night.

How much are you using?  See about breaking your melatonin pill in  half.  2 mg works great for me on a night when I need to wake up the next day at 3 - but I will take a 5 mg when I am off the next day and can sleep a little longer. 

Hugs for your neck.  What a mess!  I am so sorry!
thethinme
on 6/9/11 10:25 am, edited 6/9/11 10:26 am - NY
Yay for you staying, in the name of everyone here, we love you / your posts ;)

I can only imagine what these people go through =( I am happy you are there to help them.

Where can I read more about hormones craziness and VSG? I confess I don't understand much about the matter.

I am taking Liquid Natrol Melatonin 1 mg - 2 "droppers" which equals 2 mL, which is half the dose they recommend on the box. Are the pills better or it makes no difference?

Are you taking it long term? Is it addictive? Do you mean you wake up at 3 pm or am?

Unfortunately lately I am having trouble both falling asleep AND staying asleep so I think melatonin is the best option.

Hugs back to you and thanks for your insights and knowledge.

(deactivated member)
on 6/9/11 1:46 pm
Melatonin is a hormone your body makes normally in the pineal gland. It's not addictive chemically, though some people become psychologically dependent, as in they need to take "a pill" or they won't be able to sleep, if that makes sense. Pills/liquid shouldn't matter. It's all the same stuff. You can also look into a product called Calms Forte, another herbal/homeopathic sleep aid.
(deactivated member)
on 6/9/11 4:57 pm, edited 6/9/11 5:00 pm - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
3:00 am.  For work.  :}  I dont help anyone directly, I just translate the doctor's mumblings into medicolegal documents. 

Ditto that its not addictive, it something our body makes and aging causes us to make less of it.  For me I have taken it for years, and if I go somewhere and dont have it, I dont suffer any ill sleep effects, its been, for me, just a way to make sure that I stay asleep for the time I need to sleep. 

Its not really hormones and VSG in particular, but WLS and quick weight loss in general.  just your fat cells are full of hormones and during the quick weight loss, they are coming out of your fat cell and coursing through your body, like a raging adolescence or PMS. 

I do take it long term, I have a hard time with benadryl and next day sleepy hangovers.

Now Iamma go see what all the other nice people are sharing. 

Okay this - Sublimate is right about St. John's Wort, but this - if you are taking birth control, it can lessen the efficacy, and some folks have ended up pregnant, so just know that with SJW, double protection, if you are on the pill, is wise!

I hope you got some sleep girlie.  Today is a new day.  Take care of you!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 396 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 426 views