hypothyroid

pommom3
on 6/11/11 1:30 am - MI
 anyone diagnosed with hypothyroidism after surgery?  Mine has always been on the low end of the normal range but now that I am almost 4 months out of surgery Dr. says I am hypothyroid.  Anyone else get this after surgery?

(deactivated member)
on 6/11/11 3:22 am - CA
Not after surgery, but I've been hypothyroid since 2008 and even with the meds, I'm still barely normal. Probably contributes to my slow losing.
jenniflorida
on 6/11/11 4:38 am - Washington, DC
I was hyper, then did radioactive iodine in 1997, and have been hypo ever since, so I have into surgery with this. I am just 2 months post op, but just did my labs and all normal, no need to adjust meds. We'll see as this journey continues. I would be interested as well to hear more on this subject here on the forum. Thanks.

May D.
on 6/11/11 2:57 pm
 I've been hypo since 2003 and my surgery was in February of this year.  It's difficult for doctors to get one's dosage right and your TSH levels will always fluctuate which is why it's important to have your levels checked every 6 months to a year.  My hypothyroidism is one of the reasons why I am a slow loser, but at least I'm losing!   
kimberly_gr
on 6/12/11 2:41 am
My doctor has always told me that weight does not affect thyroid levels, but a lot of posters on this forum have seen their thyroid levels fluctuate after surgery.

My readings are pretty close to the same 6 months out from surgery, and I had a test about 1 month before.  My TSH is about 2.7, and I usually ask the doctor to increase my dosage at about 3.0.  I think I'm losing a little slower because my TSH should be a little closer to 1.0, but I'm still losing and my energy is ok.

I'm glad to read other posters here who seem to have the same issue.
Kim
5'0"
"In two decades I've lost a total of 789 pounds. I should be hanging from a charm bracelet."  Erma Bombeck

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 270 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views