Calling all Banders 2 VSG'rs

Diana R.
on 6/10/11 11:19 am - Norfolk, VA
I am approved for a band-removal to VSG in 3 weeks. I would like to know how the switch was for you guys. I have had no fill for 3 years and eat normally as if I wasn't banded at all. I was having a lot of problems and a tragedy (loss of a child) so I opted to get unfilled.

I just want to know how it feels, weight loss and do you feel better??
I lived off liquids only for almost a year because I couldnt tolerate any type of food eventhough I chewed.. I didn't mind because I lost so much weight, but when my son passed I got an unfill because I got sick and had to eat. Then I ate and ate and ate and realized after gaining all my wait back plus 10 that I needed to get  back on the horse. However, I do like food and wanted to be able to control my weight but still eat something..So I was approved for the VSG. Please respond your stories are welcomed, with hop for the future.

"Nothing is predestined: The obstacles of your past can become the gateways that lead to new beginnings."

Sassy 1
on 6/10/11 1:18 pm
So sorry to hear about your loss.  I hope you are doing ok and can't even begin to understand your pain. 
I had to have my lap band out after 2 slips and my surgeon suggested VSG.  Insurance wouldn't approve revision because I was no longer overweight (lost 120 with the band).  So...... 1 year and 100 pound gain later, I was sleeved in April.  AND BOY IS IT BETTER!!!!  I can actually eat salads, raw veggies and fruits without scouting out a bathroom!  I love having the restriction back- and you know right away when your full (for me, usually 1/4 to 1/2 cup, depending on what I'm eating)..It's the best of both worlds.  It took me alot longer to heal (3 days with the band/3 weeks with the sleeve).  But I feel up to speed now and am loving it so far!  Good luck, whateve you decide!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
njmom5870
on 6/10/11 1:24 pm
First I wanted to give my condolences for your loss.  No one should have experience that.

I had the band for 3 months, lost 50 pounds then had emergency surgery to have it removed.  I had a full slip and the pain was like an out of body experience.  No amount of morphine or dilaudid stopped the pain. 

I had the sleeve a year and 3 months later (gained all my weight back).   I'm not going to lie, the recovery is much more involved, especially the first few days.  The good news is that its not horrible and I can honeslty say it was worth it.  I would gladly go through it again to get to the place where I am now.

I can eat and drink like a normal human being.  I don't get food stuck or vomit or have food disagree with me for no reason.  I just eat less food (healthy, of course). Although I choose not to eat bread other than crackers and maybe pita shells, I have had a couple bites of pizza. 

I go for long periods without getting hungry and I have vomited ONCE in the 5 months since surgery, and that was because I forgot not to drink while eating.  Wont make that mistake again.

I will NEVER forget getting that food stuck feeling and sticking my finger in my throat to try to dislodge it.  The pain was horrible and so was the band.  You are making a great decision and I hope you also have a wonderful outcome.  My only regret was not getting this surgery sooner. 

I have lost 75 pounds in 5 months. 
    Lap Band Surgery 7/29/09......Removal after full slip 10/29/09
    Sleeve surgery...life really began....1/3/11

Bigasiangirl
on 6/10/11 2:18 pm
VSG on 06/01/11 with
 Hello Diana,
First of all, my deepest sympathy for your loss.  I'm so sorry that happened to you.  

Well, I got my lap bad in 2005 (lost 30lbs and gained it back plus) then had it removed last month on the 9th.  Then I was sleeved on the first of June.  

The band removal was a short and sweet experience.  It was a day surgery procedure and I only took 2 days off work.  I felt perfectly well on the third day.  My sleeve experience has also been very positive.  There was some scar tissue from the lap band but nothing too serious that kept me being sleeved.  I'm still on my post op liquid diet.  I have big expectations for my new sleeve and my future.  Sorry, I don't have much more to contribute but wanted you to know there are several others that have done the revision and are very successful with their sleeves.  

Best wishes!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 444 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 465 views