So what now and HOW?

Diana R.
on 6/12/11 11:20 pm - Norfolk, VA
OK , Here is my situation......I am a coffee (at least 1 Cup) in the morning person. I quit smoking after 23 years in Feb. But I need my coffee. Folks that know nothing else about me know I NEED MY COFFEE...lol My mother bought me a Keurig for Xmas the folks at Starbucks know me litterally, My fav guy saw me the other day and asked me if I was OK???? He hadnt seen me. AKWARD>.  I am Italian/Sicilian....need I say more. We drink Espresso AFTER dinner. It's in my DNA. I have already said goodbye to pasta. (My grandmother is turning in the dirt as we speak....Not the Macaroni) For all those that don't know. Old school Italians call all pasta Macaroni.We eat a 2 day to make sauce for XMAS.  Matter of fact I was cracking up last nigh****ching the movie the "Bronx Tale" The main character asks his "forbidden" love (an African Am) if she could cook sauce for the Macaroni.??? ITS IMPORTANT Dang nab-bit.

So I have given that up. Soda gone, Cigs, gone.
Coffee????? (Sigh)
I guess I am all nervous because I don't have a pre-op diet meeting until the 20th. and surgery is on the 30th. So I don't even now what is required of me. I am reading posts and clutching my coffee cup for dear life.
Here is what I can tell u....I use SF sweetener and either SF Creamer or Fat Free milk.
So I have already made a switch...to that.
BUT DO ANY OF YOU DRINK THE STUFF??  And if so AFTER SURGERY??
Please don't berate me and respond with a bunch of, if you want your life to change yadda yadda. I obvioulsy realize what  I have done to myself  TY and I have done so much and already made a decision to re-do 99 percent of my life. To be the "odd ball" of my family. ( they are all miraculously thin though = atleast I'll look the part)
I just want to know, Do you drink it and how long until you can?
Thanks in Advance. ( And all of this was written in truth, but in my funny sarcastic voice)
PaulaS
on 6/12/11 11:32 pm - TX
I pretty much feel the same way you do about the morning coffee!   I DID give it up for 2 weeks, but started back after my 2 week checkup.   By then I was able to get all my water in daily which is important. 
I mentioned it to my Dr. that I guess I would have to stay off coffee, and he looked at me funny and said he would not give his up, so go ahead.     Moderation is the key! 
That said, we don't have a Starbucks here, but when I go to the city, I now get a Fat Free Latte with one scoop of protein powder.    Good and yummy way to add protein, especially when I am on the go and away from home.   The Venti has 21 g. protein plus the 6 for the protein powder, for a whopping 27 g. ! 

Highest weight, 248#
Surgery weight, 236#
Current weight, 138#
Katrina P.
on 6/12/11 11:33 pm
I had a caffeine drip while I was having surgery. (Literally...) and I had coffee as soon as I was home. I've had at least one cup a day since. I have my protein powder in my coffee. I'm not saying this will be your plan, but my surgeon and dietitian were okay with it. I couldn't live without my coffee either!!!!
♥Katrina

Diana R.
on 6/12/11 11:39 pm - Norfolk, VA
@ Katrina & Paula
OMG THANK YOU.
I was nervous to post this. thought I was gonna get chewed out.
You guys made me laugh, and gave me good info. So what I was looking for. Thanks Ladies. (Ching)* thats the sound of a toast of the coffee mug.
Diana
Kim_M
on 6/12/11 11:47 pm - LaPorte, TX
Okay I did go to caffine free for the first few weeks. I did this so it wouldn't slow down recovery,It really wasnt that bad.I will be honest I still have pasts, I eat so little that I don't think it has hurt me. At least this is what I tell myself

First month since VSG 33  2nd 14 lbs 3rd12lbs 4th10lbs 5th10lbs 6th 9lbs 7th 13lbs 8th 13 lbs  9th 2 10th 6 11th bounced 175-180 12th  bounced  13th 2 lb cw(164)      
USAF Wife
on 6/12/11 11:41 pm
The hospital served me hot tea in recovery so go figure on no caffeine. As long as we were able to get in our clear fluids, coffee was allowed. It's best to wean off because hydration is sometimes difficult early out, but I was drinking coffee fairly soon after surgery. Caffeine withdrawal headaches suck, and dealing with recovery, gas pains etc immediately post-op sucks enough.

You can start doing half/half caff and see if that helps. It is acidic, and might be too harsh on your stomach early out. Just check with your surgeon as to his recommendation and go from there.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Mammamia1290
on 6/12/11 11:57 pm
Before surgery I LOVED my coffee, it was the best part of the day. BUT after surgery it just didn't taste the same:0(. But I keep trying it, maybe someday my tastebuds and new stomach will tolerate it. Good luck.
Nicole S.
on 6/13/11 12:19 am - Vallejo, CA

I so feel your pain. I am a caffiene freak.  I have to have at least 1 cup in the morning myself.  Soda I can live without, I dont smoke, so caffiene is my vice I was heartbroken to hear I had to give up.  But it has been reassuring that Kaiser lumps all rouen y and vsg'ers in the same boat as what to give up and what not to (in terms of coffee)   It has been reassuring to read that I dont have to give it up and there are alternatives to get more bang for my buck per say with my coffee, (ie in terms of protein powder etc)

You all have been a huge blessing!!!

~Nicole  
Height 5'1 HW- 320 SW-265 CW- 172.2 GW 140                                

thebadest
on 6/13/11 12:21 am - Houston, TX
I drink coffee. I do use sf creamer and splenda. As stated above I would wait until you can get a decent amount of fluids in before starting. Enjoy.

***Getting to Goal Challenge: -13.9/22.7 July 29th surgiversary**
Trina//SW:270/CW:172.7/GW:150

Sweetitalian1
on 6/13/11 12:23 am - CA
I am very much like you. I stopped drinking coffee for a few days post op and slowing my coffee has increased. i did comprosmise and I make a mixture of decaf / caf for morning.  In the afternoon i like my mocha light frap.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views