Water, Protein, Vitamins, Oh My

Jhb617
on 6/15/11 12:21 am - Livonia, MI

Between drinking all the fluids, making sure you get enough protein and taking all the vitamins, I am not sure I can remember all of this.  How do you all do it?  LOL

What vitamins do I need to make sure to take post op?  Where is the best place to get them?  I've heard people talk about liquid protein immediately after surgery.  Is that different than protein shakes?  Help!

Thank you!

emelar
on 6/15/11 12:33 am - TX
It's a bit of a juggling act at the beginning, but gets better as you can drink faster and eat a little more at a time.

Yes, there are protein shakes and protein drinks.  Isopure and Synthrax Nectar are examples of protein drinks.  Whatever you get, make sure it's primarily whey or soy protein; milk and cassein based protein is okay, but not the best absorbed; collagen based protein is useless (usually the so-called "shots" are collagen).

Vitamins - I just posted this on another thread:

A multi with 100% of the RDA of most nutrients.  Take two a day.  Stay away from kids' vitamins and gummy vitamins, because those will not have what you need.  Even though Flintstones says “complete" on the bottle, they really are not complete.  If you take a multi with no iron, you’ll need additional iron at a separate time. 

1500-2000 mg calcium citrate.  Make sure it's citrate, not carbonate. That means no Caltrate and no Viactiv and no TUMS.  Calcium and iron need to be separated by 2 hours or more or neither will be fully absorbed.

18-27 mg iron for menstruating women, unless your labs show you need more.  (If you’re using a multi with no iron, that would mean you’d need at least 50 mg iron.)  We absorb carbonyl iron best.  Ferrous sulfate will also make you constipated.  Iron should be taken separately from calcium by at 2 hours or more.

B12.  You can use a sublingual, 350-500 mcg per day, a patch once a week, nasal spray once a week, or shots once a month.  Unless your labs show you need more.

Many people also need D3 so you should get your vitamin D level to find out if you do. 

George B.
on 6/15/11 12:49 am, edited 6/15/11 12:49 am - Miami, FL
I track what I eat and drink on myfitnesspal.com

Access is available on-line and through an ap. The program gives you important information on your daily calories, carbs, protein, vitamins, water and exercise. It keeps me accountable and has helped me avoid stalls and reach my weight loss goal.

I take the following;
2 Gummy Vites
1 B-12 sublingual
2 Fiber Gummies (every other day to keep me regular)

I buy my vitamins and ready to drink protein shakes (Muscle Milk Light) at Costco.

At almost 2 years post-op all my labs have been excellent with no deficiencies.

Some people also take calcium but since I regulary consume a lot of dairy I don't need supplements for calcium

Good luck,
George

joie_de_sleeve
on 6/15/11 1:32 am - IN
I just finished my pre-op class yesterday and I'm wondering the same thing.

The dietician mentioned a protein drink by Celebrate... ENS something, I don't have the info with me here at work, but it includes everything but the calcium. I bought two packets to try them out in advance of surgery. I need something to simplify all this in the first few weeks.
joie_de_sleeve
on 6/15/11 1:42 am, edited 6/15/11 1:44 am - IN
Sorry, I misspoke. Celebrate shakes don't have the B vitamin. Here's a link to their website:  https://www.celebratevitamins.com/shop/other-supplements/ens .html

Hopefully the taste will be tolerable. My plan is to drink these and get the B-12 shot... at least initially.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 285 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 336 views