Dietician says not to expect to get under 209???

Emily51501
on 6/30/11 12:33 pm - Duluth, MN
VSG on 06/06/12
Soooo....I had a visit with my dietician today. My weight today was 335 and I'm 5'6 making my bmi 53. She said realistically with the sleeve, according to calculations, getting down to 209, a 126lb loss would be the maximum I would lose. Now don't get me wrong, getting down to 209 would be thrilling, I'd be ecstatic. But at the same time I was hoping to get down to around 170-180. I'd love some input, thanks so much!

(deactivated member)
on 6/30/11 12:38 pm
I would tell you that the Nut is ridiculous.  If I could lose 93 lbs. in 6.5 months, and I am a lightweight, there is no reason in the world that you can't get to whatever goal you set for yourself if you really work at it.  So I would ask you, how much do you want it?  If you maximize your first year and really stay serious about it, you will lose 100% of your EW and reach any goal you want to achieve with the sleeve.  I can point out many others that have lost much more weight than you want to lose but I can also point out others that did not get there.  So much of this is up to you.
Dawnie 88
on 6/30/11 12:39 pm
I think you can definitely get to your goal of 170-180.

AniO
on 6/30/11 12:44 pm
Of course you can get to your goal! I think maybe she was just telling you what the average weight loss for VSG patients are. Remember, that's the average. Like Elina said, some people get to goal, some people don't. It's all about how bad you want it.

AniO

angieb77
on 6/30/11 12:47 pm - Blaine, MN
Prove her wrong.  If you work hard before surgery eating low cal and low fat and exercising you will lose weight.  That will be weight you don't have to lose post-op.  That was the best thing I have done for myself.  I lost 50lbs pre-op.  My surgeon told me he could see me getting down to 150-160.  I was 375 at my highest and 363 when I had my first surgery consult with him (I'm 5'2").  I'm not sure if I will get down to 150 or 160 but I will be happy even if I get below 200.  But I would be ecstatic if I could get down close to a normal weight.  Try to set a reasonable goal for yourself.  I would talk with your surgeon and see what he thinks you could get down to. 

HW: 375 SW: 325 CW: 263 GW: 160
Pre-Surgery WL: 50lbs

frisco
on 6/30/11 12:47 pm

It's all up to you.......

BrownBlonde was told a similar thing.......277 to 190 (something like that) she is 156 and still losing.

Jimbo started at 580......now 250 at almost 2 years out....still losing.....

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Emily51501
on 6/30/11 12:53 pm - Duluth, MN
VSG on 06/06/12
Awwww...this is why I love you guys, I'm always boosted up reading the boards. It's great to be able to hear from those who've actually experienced it! Thanx for your honesty!

carrierae
on 6/30/11 12:59 pm - WA
Hi - I am sure she is wrong! I am starting at the exact same spot as you. Weight 333lb. Height 5'6".  I am not having surgery for at least a couple months (insurance dependant). Lets figure this out. In order for us to be in the healthy range our goal weight is 154lb. That is what I am shooting for. According to my dr. we can plan to lose up to 70% of our excess body weight within the first year if we kick butt. Our excess body weight is 180lb roughly. 70% of that is 126lb. That puts us at 209ish.

That doesnt include any weight we lose pre surgery. That includes only the first year. I dont know about you but if I got down to 209 I would be a TON more active...we will blow 209 out of the water!

When r u hoping for surgery? I could really use a buddy to help me keep my will power. I have to get off nictotine & carbs (can only have 30/day). I have to practice not drinking when eating. And I have to ween myself off caffine. This will be the hardest for me.

I am here for you! Lets keep eachother going!
Emily51501
on 6/30/11 1:35 pm - Duluth, MN
VSG on 06/06/12
Carrierae- Sure, I would love a wls buddy!! I'm insurance dependant as well, my insurance requires 4 dietician visits, each four weeks apart. Today was my first, my second is July 27th. So I should have these done in a few months. I love how you calculated everything out, thats exactly how my dietician did it. Anyway, if you'd like to stay connected through regular email mine is: [email protected] I hope to hear from you!

acbbrown
on 6/30/11 1:03 pm - Granada Hills, CA
That's a statistic. That doesn't apply to people who want to live a healthy life style after the "honeymoon" phase is over.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 398 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 426 views