NSV or Insult? You decide..

sublimate
on 7/5/11 3:29 am - San Jose, CA

So I had an interesting experience last night on the fourth of July.  I was hanging out at home playing on my computer when the power went out.  When the power didn't come back on after a few minutes I ventured outside to see if it was just my house or if the neighborhood wa**** (I live on a court).

So go a few houses down to a neighbor's house that I've never formally met, and knock on their door.  A little old filipino lady answers the door, and the conversation goes something like this:

ME: Oh hello, I'm your neighbor from a few doors down and I was wondering if your power is out too?
LADY: Yes the whole neighborhood is down.  Where do you live?
ME: Oh I just live a few doors down right over there (gesturing towards my house)
LADY: Oh where is your mother?
ME: My mother?  I'm not sure what you mean.
LADY: You know that big lady that drives the big black car?
ME: Big lady.. Umm.. I drive a big black car (Acura MDX SUV).. do you mean me?
LADY: No that BIG lady.. the one who waves every morning to her son when he gets on the bus and drives the big black car.. is that your mom?
ME: Yes, I wave to my son every day when he gets on the bus and drive a big black SUV.  I think you mean me.
LADY: Which house are you in?  (I point it out to her) and she cranes her neck looking at where I am pointing.
ME: Yep I think you are talking about me. (Smiles) Well thanks for letting me know the power is out to the neighborhood.. hope it comes back on soon.

Ha.. so I guess she thinks I look like my own daughter now that I've lost weight? LOL.  Not sure if that's an NSV or an insult.  Here's a pic of what she might have seen (what I was wearing yesterday on the right) and what I looked like last year on the left:

Start weight: 388, Current Weight: 185, Goal Weight: 180, Weight Lost: 203 lbs
Certified Nutritionist VSG FAQsublimate: To elevate or uplift.
3/2012 Plastics: LBL, 3 Hernias Fixed, BL/BA, Rhinoplasty & Septum Fix. 6/2013 Plastics: Arm and thigh lift

(deactivated member)
on 7/5/11 3:33 am
 NSV.  No insult...she said big lady...any other choice of words might've been an insult.  I don't remember what your ticket said, but there's a huge difference in your appearance.

I've had several occasions where family and friends (from blood and marriage) who do not recognize me.  You made a drastic physical change in a short period of time, that's all.  Laugh and grin :).
sublimate
on 7/5/11 3:50 am - San Jose, CA
On July 5, 2011 at 10:33 AM Pacific Time, sleevedup wrote:
 NSV.  No insult...she said big lady...any other choice of words might've been an insult.  I don't remember what your ticket said, but there's a huge difference in your appearance.

I've had several occasions where family and friends (from blood and marriage) who do not recognize me.  You made a drastic physical change in a short period of time, that's all.  Laugh and grin :).
Oh yeah I was totally laughing about it even when I was talking to her.  Especially because I was thinking she was ballsy for saying where is the BIG lady when I'm not exactly small right now.. still a size 18.  But I didn't think I looked like I could have been old enough to be my own mother.. haha.

3/2012 Plastics: LBL, 3 Hernias Fixed, BL/BA, Rhinoplasty & Septum Fix. 6/2013 Plastics: Arm and thigh lift

(deactivated member)
on 7/5/11 3:34 am - CA
Awesome story! Just made my "Monday." You really don't look the same at all...so I'd take it as a NSV! Cute dress, too!
sublimate
on 7/5/11 3:50 am - San Jose, CA
On July 5, 2011 at 10:34 AM Pacific Time, AngelaAnn wrote:
Awesome story! Just made my "Monday." You really don't look the same at all...so I'd take it as a NSV! Cute dress, too!

Thank you! :)

metime
on 7/5/11 3:34 am - chesapeake, VA
great story, you do look like a different person. Funny to hear what people really think when they dont realize who they are talking to..But I would consider it an NSV for sure.. Congrats on all of your weight loss;

sublimate
on 7/5/11 3:51 am - San Jose, CA
On July 5, 2011 at 10:34 AM Pacific Time, metime wrote:
great story, you do look like a different person. Funny to hear what people really think when they dont realize who they are talking to..But I would consider it an NSV for sure.. Congrats on all of your weight loss;

Thank you.. I'm sure I'll run into a few more scenarios where people don't recognize me.. I just hope they don't ask where is the BIG lady. LOL.

Ms. Poker Face
on 7/5/11 3:36 am
 NSV for sure!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Jennchap
on 7/5/11 3:43 am - CA
TOTAL ******g NSV!!!! Look at you little 12 year old! Im impressed that you didn't get your feeling hurt… I may have cried… but you know Im a big puss! 
HW 275   SW 229   CW 136 

sublimate
on 7/5/11 3:53 am - San Jose, CA
On July 5, 2011 at 10:43 AM Pacific Time, Jennchap wrote:
TOTAL ******g NSV!!!! Look at you little 12 year old! Im impressed that you didn't get your feeling hurt… I may have cried… but you know Im a big puss! 

Ha-ha.. Hard for me to get my feelings hurt when she thinks I look like a teenager today.  I totally thought it was funny but leave it to me to get an NSV like that! LOL.  Big Mom lady.. haha.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 98 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 324 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 368 views