How much can you eat? 8 months out

cnjm6201
on 7/7/11 1:36 pm
I am 8 months out and curious how much others can eat at one sitting?

Tonight I had 1/2 a hotdog and 2 tortilla chips with blackbean salsa and maybe a tablespoon of macaroni salad. 

For lunch I ate 1/2 a veggie burger. 

For breakfast I drank 8 oz protein shake. 

I can do 4-6oz comfortably of solid food but I could probably do 8 oz if I pushed it.  I don't try to pu**** but I have on a couple occasions.  

Sometimes I feel like way too much could go in.  Most of the time I choose to stop eating because I didn't want to pu****  At lunch time I probably could have fit the whole burger in.  At least I felt like I could but I didn't want to try and see. 

I'm just curious, how others that are further out are doing on portion sizes.

"Be content at whatsoever state you are in."  Phil. 4:11                      
thin1soon
on 7/7/11 1:46 pm
Do you really think tortilla chips at such an early stage are a good idea?  Those are big-time carbs and usually are a slippery slope, at least until you get to maintenance phase.  Ditto for the macaroni salad.  You're much better off eating protein ONLY at your stage.  Your NUT will give you these foods back when you have lost your weight and can learn to manage them. 

Be sure to measure (count) your grams of protein you're getting each meal and also your water.  Very important.  Good luck!

thin1soon  TN

Pre-surgery weight 11/6/08-253
Post surgery (12 wks.) 2/3/09-185
68 pounds lost

thin1soon
on 7/7/11 1:48 pm
Oh, sorry~ just saw your ticker and surgery date. Are you already on maintenance? I thought you were not nearly that far out. To answer your question, no, I could not eat 8 oz. when I was at your stage. I can now, at 2 1/2 years out.
roundater
on 7/7/11 2:28 pm - Lincoln, NE
Usually 3-4 oz at a sitting. I try to shoot for 100 grams protein 40 carbs and 600 calories. Hve not felt hungry at all even after working out at the gym.
Rich Sonderegger

Birdie55
on 7/7/11 2:42 pm
I can eat 3 oz of chicken along with some salad or a tomato. I can eat 1 cup of thick soup at a time, but it takes a little longer than the chicken. I don't think I can eat 8 oz of yogurt or cottage cheese, but then I haven't tried either. I have 8 - 12 oz of protein drink for breakfast every morning and that fills me up for awhile.

Ht 5' 4  SW 181  GW 120 - 125  Age 61  CW 130

Edit   Delete          

Dawnie 88
on 7/7/11 9:50 pm
I am 14 mths postop, and if I'm eating just protein at my meal..like a boneless chicken breast..I can only eat 2.5 oz..and nothing else.  I don't eat pasta, so If I make the family something with pasta for dinner I will normally just grab 1/2 cup of cottage cheese..and that is a meal for me.  I'm sure everyone's restriction is different though.  Even with the same size bougie used, we all still vary when it comes to stomach size.

johnbertak
on 7/7/11 11:46 pm - MD
I'm not yet 8 mos. out, down over 150 lbs., and I can eat pretty much anything I choose; as to "volume" it depends more on what the food is.  I still log every bite and try to stay between 1100 and 1400 calories per day; I'm continuing to lose, at a slightly slower rate, so I've upped the exercise a bit.  My only negative experience lately has been from eating too much pork-chop too fast; Sleevie didn't like that much and he let me know.  Keep on marchin' down that weight-loss road.
Pop-Pop

FaithForward
on 7/8/11 12:39 am - Houston, TX
I can eat about the same portions.  Maybe not the veggie burger.  Was there a bun involved?  If yes, I probably could not eat 1/2, but no bun and sure I could do 1/2 a veggie burger. 

I think  6 - 8 oz is a reasonable portion size.  If I'm eating dense protein, I can only do 2 - 3 oz, but softer foods allow me more. 

By the way, it really chaps my ass when somebody else tells another person "do you really think you should be eating that"?  i.e tortilla chips.....or pasta salad. 

You have been successful and your doing great - keep doing what works for you!
But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded. ~2 Chronicles 15:7 
LilySlim Weight loss tickers 
5'6" ~ Loving a size 4 ~
Plastics Apr 17th, 2012 with Dr. Sauceda ~ BL, BA, LBL w/ flap aug & mini thigh lift!

(deactivated member)
on 7/8/11 3:48 am - Bastrop, LA

I had my surgery 1 day after you and that sounds about like what I can eat. Take lunch this afternoon, I went to chick-fil-a and bought a chicken nugget kids meal, 6 piece and pulled as much breading off of 3 nuggets and ate the others as they were and 2 waffle fries and I am as full as can be.

Last night I had ribeye steak...about 3 - 4oz - stuffed to the brim. It all depends on what you eat. Also, are you drinking with your meals? If I drink I can get in WAYYYYY more food. The chips and pasta salad are slider foods. I can sit down and eat an entire bag of cheetos from the vending machine at my school...but I don't do that anymore. I found myself getting into bad habits again and stalling like crazy.

Oh yeah, 1 more thing, are you tall? I have found that I can hold a little more than others (couple bites) and I believe it's simply because I am 5'10 and there's an extra couple of bites room in my longer stomach.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 160 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 432 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 454 views