New to the VSG forum...feel like I'm starting over

BoweryBetty
on 7/8/11 5:29 pm - San Francisco, CA
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, although I've been on OH for several years.  It's been a really bumpy road with a lot of struggles and detours along the way.  I'm at a new crossing with my surgeon.  Instead of having a RNY, he's suggesting the sleeve because of med absorption issues I have.  I've been having battles yo-yoing with weight I needed to lose for the RNY procedure.  Now this is a whole new doorway.  I'm trying to have hope and regain my steam.  It's really heartening to hear the successes so many of you are having with the sleeve.  Thanks for listening.

Be safe and well, B.B.

Rouxful
on 7/8/11 5:43 pm
 I was given the unique opportunity to pick any procedure I wanted (except the DS). Out of the Plication, the Band, the Bypass, or the Sleeve, I chose the sleeve. I was sleeved three weeks ago and I don't regret it so far. I'm losing a pound a day and the hunger is so much quieter now.

As I'm writing this, I just finished stuffing myself on a few pieces of broccoli for dinner. It feels like I just had a buffet. If you get the sleeve, you won't be disappointed, though with the amout of weight you have to lose, you might want to check out the DS if it's an option. Either way, RnY or sleeve, I think you'll be happy. But being able to eat pretty much anything is kind of nice too.

HW 403 / SW 372 / CW 204 / GW 199    

BoweryBetty
on 7/8/11 7:31 pm - San Francisco, CA
I am so happy for you.  I hope I get to where you are.  I wish the DS was an option for me.  I'm on Medicare and right now it's not covered for me -- I'm even living in a city where incredible DS surgeons have practices (especially Dr. Rabkin).  From what I hear the VSG is a good first step towards a possible DS in the future (if it will ever be covered by medicare) for high BMI patients??  It's hopeful to hear where you are right now.  Thank you for replying.  I hope you keep healing well  and have a fantastic journey

Be safe and well, B.B.

roundater
on 7/8/11 7:47 pm - Lincoln, NE
you won't regret your decision. Have had nothing but positives with my sleeve. Minimal pain gone in two days not complications 29 days out feel great and returned to preop activity. Hope this helps and let me know if I can help.
Rich Sonderegger

BoweryBetty
on 7/8/11 7:53 pm - San Francisco, CA
Thank you so much for your reply.  I've been hearing a lot of positive news about the low(er) complications.  It's good to hear you're back in the swing of things.  Did you take 3 to 6 weeks or so to rest from work/full-duty with your day-to-day chores, exercising, etc??  Thanks again for getting back to me.  Hope you have a great journey on the loser's bench

Be safe and well, B.B.

roundater
on 7/8/11 7:59 pm - Lincoln, NE
I took 5 weeks off as a precaution. Except for the lifting restriction (10 lbs) I could have gone back to work in a week the way I felt. Found that walking was very helpful for me in recouping and continuing the weight loss. Hope this helps and let me know if I can help further.
Rich Sonderegger

BoweryBetty
on 7/9/11 10:07 am - San Francisco, CA
Thank you so much for the info, Rich.  I'm trying to reconnect with OH and STAY connected and hopeful.  Trying to rebound and sharpen my focus on losing the pre-op weight my surgeon wants me to lose.  Today's my second day back here and I'm eating a healthier meal than several days ago.  Had a couple EAS protein shakes and about 32 ounces of water so far.  It's hard for me to walk, but I want to try and get some motion in before nightfall.  I hope you're having a good weekend.

Be safe and well, B.B.

roundater
on 7/9/11 11:48 am - Lincoln, NE
i am thank you. Hope you are too. Walking as much as you can will really help you in the preop period. The preop period is tough but it is worth the wait. Take care and hope your surgery  erxperience is as positive as mine.
Rich Sonderegger

BoweryBetty
on 7/9/11 12:13 pm - San Francisco, CA
Thank you so much, Rich.  I'm going to stay connected with you guys here in the forum.  I can't thank you all enough for the supportive advice.  I'm feeling so much hope and inspiration x0x

Be safe and well, B.B.

roundater
on 7/9/11 12:19 pm - Lincoln, NE
keep tabs on as many forums as you like. the more information you can glean the merrier. don't be afraid to send a message to a member or friend if you have a question too.

Your friend

Rich
Rich Sonderegger

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views