Metallic taste??

MARTINQ
on 7/10/11 12:15 pm - RIVERDALE, GA
So after drinking my last protein shake I drifted off to sleep only to awake with a really nasty metallic taste in my mouth!!! Yuck! I brushed my teeth, sipped water, apple juice and now sucking on vitamin c drops to rid me of the horrible taste! Have anyone have this problem and know what causes this?

IrishColleen
on 7/10/11 12:18 pm - Owosso, MI
 I've been dealing with a nasty post-protein taste in my mouth that lasts for hours or I wake up with it in the morning.  This has been going on pretty much since surgery.  Probably the same type of thing your talking about.  

Here's to hoping that someone with experience also has a solution for us.  Thanks for posting!

Colleen

"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity and fear but a spirit of power and love and self discipline."  2 Tim. 1:7     So with HIS power, love and self-discipline - I WILL DO THIS!
HW:250 SW: 232 CW: 164  GW: 150 
Treetracer
on 7/10/11 12:34 pm
Sounds like you're firmly in ketosis; I get that when I go very low carb and start burning fat.  Try chewing on mint leaves?

Could_It_Be
on 7/10/11 1:21 pm
I too get that funky breath, mine is more onioney but I am not eating onions! My urine also has a strong odor ( its not dark)
Sandy S.
on 7/10/11 1:26 pm
same problem just don't know why.

"Step by step the longest march can be won,"  Sweet Honey and the Rock- Peace, San  HW 463 Surgery: 6/13/11; SW 413      
Could_It_Be
on 7/10/11 1:27 pm
i had not thought of being in ketosis!

VSG on 6/22/11
doggz109
on 7/10/11 2:46 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
Yep - ketones are released in your breath as well as urine and it does cause a funky taste in your mouth.

I'd put money on it that is what it is....especially if you are on a mostly protein diet right now.
IrishColleen
on 7/10/11 9:59 pm - Owosso, MI
 Ketosis makes sense!   Hadn't thought about that.  Will it go away once I start on pureed foods/mushies??

"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity and fear but a spirit of power and love and self discipline."  2 Tim. 1:7     So with HIS power, love and self-discipline - I WILL DO THIS!
HW:250 SW: 232 CW: 164  GW: 150 
Treetracer
on 7/11/11 1:13 am, edited 7/11/11 1:16 am
It's hard to say; one can be in ketosis without the hardcore stink-mouth and still burn fat. 

This article has a good overview of ketosis:  http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/faq/f/whatisketosis.htm

ETA:  apparently the bad breath can go away eventually:
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Is-Your-Low -Carb-Diet-Giving-You-Bad-Breath.htm

Hollyhock
on 7/11/11 4:33 am - VA
I had the same thing. At first I thought it was ketosis, but it persisted even after I introduced some carbs. Now I realize it is definitely due to the protein shakes and only the shakes. It is one reason I despise protein shakes. Now that I am on proteins from other sources it has stopped. Nearly every time I have a shake the nasty after-taste comes back, and brushing my teeth doesn't fix it.
5'7"  VSG on 6/6/2011  HW 224, SW 214, CW 144  
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 365 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 410 views