Anyone gotten though the clear/full liquid phase nothing using things that are SF?

tripmom02
on 7/15/11 3:34 am - NJ
I noticed that almost all the suggestions I got for clear liquids and such are sugar free, this poses a problem for me as I do not use any artificial sweetners and do not use any sugar free products. 

What is the reason behind going with sugar free, and has anyone done it without using these products? 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Could_It_Be
on 7/15/11 3:37 am
I HATE artificial sweeteners and had a hard time. I just choked some of the things down (protein shakes, jello, etc) but tried to stick with non-sweet things. Things like strained soups, broths, etc.

I bet your NUT can give you some tips!

If I never eat another SF popsicle again, I will be happy!

VSG on 6/22/11
tripmom02
on 7/15/11 3:44 am - NJ
 Yeah, I won't touch them. I had a fit when I was in the hospital and all they served me was SF stuff, I refused to eat it and made them call my surgeon to order me a second bowl of broth and tea since I would not touch the juice, jello or lemon ice thing they served. I have already made it clear to him that after my surgery, if he orders me the bariatric diet that we have to have a work around on the SF stuff. 

I meet with the NUT on the 19th, it should be interresting since its the same one I saw for my band and during my pregnancy and we fought about my "clean" eating then, soo I don't really know that she is going to be any help now LOL 

Bahamas1968
on 7/15/11 3:48 am - MI
Try Special K Protein Shakes.....

Zee Starrlite
on 7/15/11 5:28 am, edited 7/15/11 5:31 am

There is a reason behind the madness.  Special K and other drinks like Slimfast are not recommended because they are a carb, sugar, and calorie fiesta in a container.

We are killing ourselves with sugar. The sweet drinks from McDonalds, Sonic, Starbucks etc. are loaded with over 60mg of sugar and 600+ calories.  That is liquid poison.  I mix up my artifical and natural sweetners so that I don't do overkill.

I totally believe in clean eating, but I will not give up artifical sweetners.  Never, no way!  Both my parents were/are diabetic long term and ended up on dialysis.  No way on this earth I will risk becoming diabetic if I can help it.  It is why I had any weight loss surgery in the first place.

We breathe air full of pollutents.  Suddenly artifical sweetners are going to kill us.  I think plain old refined sugar will do that before hand.

If we lived like our ancestors and were constantly active - think hunters and gatherers.  No simple carbs and natural sugars straight from the cane not grandulized/processed.  Fruit from the tree after we climbed up the tree and did whatever we had to do physically to get it  and hike back home then maybe we could allow ourselves unprocessed sweets.

When we can't control our weight, we shouldn't eat refined sugar ever.

Sorry.  I am not meaning to offend anyone.  Sugar is not good for any of us.  Sometimes I opt out of the sweet flavor before putting artifical sweetners or natural stevia But you won't ever see me with table sugar.  I stopped sugar and pork when I was 13 because I was terrified of suffering from diabetes.  Pork is fine and healthy, I just don't eat it and it has nothing to do with diabetes.

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

tripmom02
on 7/15/11 6:13 am - NJ
 No offense taken! I honestly avoid processed sugar, except for the two teaspoons in my coffee in the morning (and I use sugar in the raw for that, which is as processed as I am willing to go LOL), and avoid food that has any kind of processed sugar in it. I get physically ill from artificial sweeteners, I had sever IBS for most of my life and it was not until I completely cut them out the artificial sweeteners did it resolve itself completely (I have not had symptoms in almost three years!) 

I also don't do any kind of simple carbs, except in the form of fruit (no juice or anything). I make most of what we eat, there is very little that comes though my door processed (my husband refuses to give up a few things, but the children and I don't eat them LOL). We eat no white flour, breads, rice, pasta etc. 

I also limit my milk intake (I love cheese, although I am slowly finding ways to replace it with goats milk cheese which is easier for digestion and I can get it locally made and fresh) and don't eat anything that includes soy as an ingredient. 

Clean eating does not = skinny, as my homemade, organic, from scratch meals will knock your socks off (even the ones that don't include sugar LOL). I have a problem with portion control, and that is where a restrictive procedure like the band worked for me, and it is my hope that the sleeve will work in the same way. My body also loses faster and works better on a very high protein, low carb diet since I have PCOS, which is another reason that the band worked for me.

George B.
on 7/15/11 5:13 am - Miami, FL
The reason behind sugar free is that sugar is high in carbs and most post-op plans limit carbs.

Bahamas1968
on 7/15/11 7:01 am - MI
WOW!

Special K actually has 10g Protein and180 Calories in 1 container.

roundater
on 7/15/11 2:02 pm - Lincoln, NE
They are full of carbs and cut down and prevent weight loss or even cause weight gain.
Rich Sonderegger

Msbfree
on 7/16/11 9:12 am - Red Oak, TX
I agree, I hate SF , there is such a overwehlming after taste.. I would prefer to just not have anything sweet.... I havent had them to know if I could or not,, but when I start looking into protein drinks I will go with lest carb  or no carb options,, but absolutely no artficial sweeteners...

CW 220
GW 150

Surgery date 08/29/2011

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 307 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 353 views